Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 03:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

I'd choose Kirkwood myself. The Maplewood neighborhood might be acceptable, but has a less upscale vibe. I think the schools are better in Kirkwood. Maplewood is known to have not great schools, although they are trying for improvement there.

If I ever would move back to STL, I'd want to live in Kirkwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 11:58 AM

50 posts, read 113,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
You would definitely encounter folks in Arnold who "cling to guns and religion" to borrow one of Obama's funnier statements. Fenton is more suburban, but it blends right into Arnold. Both cities are less than 1% African American. I spent a lot of time in Fenton and many people I knew from there seemed to believe St. Louis city is a crime ridden hell hole which is only safe to visit when watching a Cardinals games (I'm only slightly exaggerating). There are communities in west county that are just as lily-white and crime fearful as Fenton/Arnold, but they tend to be less culturally rural than south county and jeff co.
Thank you for warning me about Arnold/Fenton. I'm sure that is how every suburb feels about its surrounding city when it comes to crime rate and quality of school districts.

It seems like I will focus on Creve Coeur, Fontenac, Kirkwood, University City, Clayton, Maplewood, Richmond Heights, Webster Groves, and Brentwood.

Any comments about Sunset Hills, Crestwood, and Shrewsbury?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:07 AM

3 posts, read 2,989 times
For a suburban location, I favor Kirkwood, Brentwood, Richmond Heights and Creve Coeur. Not that the others are awful. You might also want to check out SouthHampton and St. Louis Hills before you give up on the city.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalARMO View Post
Thank you for warning me about Arnold/Fenton. I'm sure that is how every suburb feels about its surrounding city when it comes to crime rate and quality of school districts.

It seems like I will focus on Creve Coeur, Fontenac, Kirkwood, University City, Clayton, Maplewood, Richmond Heights, Webster Groves, and Brentwood.

Any comments about Sunset Hills, Crestwood, and Shrewsbury?
Sunset Hills has no city center, if I recall. At least I never saw one as I cruised down S. Lindbergh. Crestwood is fine, the homes are modest and often brick, and you might find one in your price range. Whereas in Kirkwood, finding one you could afford might be hard. Shrewbury is more blue collar, but I think it is safe enough, and it is close to I 44 which takes you into the city. I really would not choose any of those latter three myself as first choice. None of them is particularly friendly to singles. Crestwood doesn't have a city center either, and it has had terrible financial probs in the last few years. I think I'd steer clear.

I like Maplewood. Nice town, sort of blue collar with nice older homes, not pretentious. Has an old city that seems to be doing OK. Also it is around the corner, so to speak, from two really great flea markets and a fabulous lighting store, that I loved to visit. Also, Penzey's Spices. And one or two restaurants in the downtown, if I remember correctly. I don't know about apartments though. And Maplewood is close to the a Metro Link station. So getting downtown would be a breeze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis