Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 08:08 PM

26 posts, read 38,770 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to St Louis next month for graduate school and in looking for apartments I have been mostly focusing on Downtown and the CWE both of which I visited and liked (U-City was ok, but I liked the other two more).
I am a bit limited on my options as I'd really like to stay under $850 a month (preferably a 1BR, but I'm also looking at studios) as a full time student I would not qualify for income restricted apartments. I also do not plan to bring a car so access to public transit (preferably rail but bus is OK) is a must. It does mean I don't have to pay for parking. since i will only drive once in a while using the WeCar share program.

Downtown I would hope to try and stay east of Tucker (a block or two west is fine) and North of Market.
In the CWE I'd like to stay not much North of Maryland and West of Newstead, to minimize my daily walk.

I was wondering if anyone had feedback about particular buildings they liked:

Also I am considering these buildings:
Paul Brown Lofts
Park Pacific Apartments
Merchandise Mart (heard nothing but bad things so unlikely to really consider it even if it has some beautiful brick walls and original floors)
so any reviews on those would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,936,135 times
Hello I am a long time downtown resident. Glad you are considering downtown. Paul Brown gets good reviews and is located on top of a Metro stop. I think it would work the best. Park Pacific is good but pricy. Merch Mart is beutiful but gets mixed reviews.

Go with Paul Brown.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,761,607 times
Without a car I'd definitely go for downtown. Everything you need is within a 10 minute walk (the Schnuck's Culinaria grocery store is amazing!), there are 4 MetroLink stations, and all of the WeCars are located down there. I would stay away from Merchandise Mart, as I've also heard nothing but bad about it. Paul Brown is in the best location of the 3, but Park Pacific is super nice. You should also check out Mansion House and Gentry's Landing, since they tend to be very affordable. The CWE is objectively "nicer" in the classic sense than downtown, but you really can't beat downtown for convenience and walkable amenities. I'm actually moving there from the CWE in two weeks for that very reason.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:38 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,751,314 times
I also just moved to Mansion House and love it. It's very affordable and I pay $700 for a 600sqft apartment. That includes water, AC/Heat/, waste. The only other thing I pay for is utilities (a measly $20/month) and parking ($90/month). Very quiet building and the views are great. Modern appliances (Whirlpool). I don't get why people spend $$ to live on Washington Ave when you could just walk there and live somewhere cheaper (save a ton).

I took a look at Merchandise Apartments and passed on it. I didn't like it for several reasons.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:37 AM

49 posts, read 91,298 times
An area of downtown is dangerous you may not want to live there try midtown or west St Louis

Old 07-13-2013, 11:10 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,761,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.bruns View Post
An area of downtown is dangerous you may not want to live there try midtown or west St Louis
Seriously? Midtown? Downtown is much safer and nicer than Midtown and West St. Louis is just boring.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt.bruns View Post
Don't feed the troll.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
Don't feed the troll.
I assumed it was, every person I talked to said that area of downtown was very safe with a strong police presence, especially given that the Paul Brown Lofts I asked about has 2 different police buildings within a mile.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:14 PM

And the Downtown Bike Police HQ is just across the street from Paul Brown.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama View Post
And the Downtown Bike Police HQ is just across the street from Paul Brown.
Yeah that is one of the two, the second one is a full station about 0.7mi away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: