Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 09:00 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times

Advertisements

If you want a quick mash-up visual on crime, and want to overlay the mapping area with other mapping data, I suggest going here:

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/vi...?useExisting=1

I've been a member of this site forever, but you don't need a membership to throw together a simple mapping application.

Once you've gotten to the home page, go to the upper left to the "Add" button, which will enable you to search for data. Put in "crime" and you will unearth several layers. Then put whatever other background info, roads for instance, on top of the polygonal boundaries that dileneate neighborhoods by block, census tract, zip code, then as you continue to zoom out, by county. The crime layer, as are the others, are scale-dependent, meaning additional features appear as you zoom in further. Simply click over the polygon to find out the crime information. If you need to see the legend, by color, simply click "Details" next to the Add feature, which will render "Legend". Click on legend, and a swatch of colors and the respective numbers will appear denoting crime indexes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 06:07 PM

85 posts, read 287,826 times
Are there gangs that travel around from the bad areas to the better areas? Say, for example, Fox Park or Benton Park. Are cars and homes often broken into?

Old 10-27-2013, 09:09 PM

49 posts, read 89,969 times
Exclamation Bad areas of STL

I know the east end, an are around I-44 near the far east end of midtown are really bad, and across the river in East STL is the worst others I don't know about.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 AM

30 posts, read 71,670 times
Looking to take a trip to St. Louis in 1-3 weeks. I'm using Priceline for a hotel and I am wondering if these are good areas:

Downtown

Forest Park

Last time we stayed in the Chesterfield area and it was great but it was a little far from the city for the places we were visiting (Zoo, City Museum, etc.). These places seem to be closer to those areas but I am not sure if they are good areas or not as far as crime and such. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:43 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,282 times
Yeah, I think you'd be fine with any hotels in those shaded areas but there might be a couple of bad ones in the 1-2 star range, especially in that downtown shaded region, so I would stick with 3+ stars if I were you.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,403 times
Those are generally fine. The areas north of Delmar Blvd. are a lot sketchier than those south of it, but I don't think there are very many hotels north of Delmar in the areas you shaded, so you should be okay.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:02 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,686,641 times
I'd bid 4 stars in that area. I've stayed for as low as $50 or so using priceline name your own price at 4 stars downtown.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Yeah, I think you'd be fine with any hotels in those shaded areas but there might be a couple of bad ones in the 1-2 star range, especially in that downtown shaded region, so I would stick with 3+ stars if I were you.
When you say bad do you mean hotels, areas or a combination of those two?

Is there one area you would pick over the other?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
Those are generally fine. The areas north of Delmar Blvd. are a lot sketchier than those south of it, but I don't think there are very many hotels north of Delmar in the areas you shaded, so you should be okay.
Delmar? Is that an area that needs to be avoided?

Old 10-29-2013, 10:19 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
A lot of Delmar is fine... but some areas along Delmar and surrounding, not so much.

What blocks of Delmar/surrounds particularly are you looking at?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis