Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 PM

8 posts, read 121,969 times

Advertisements

The fall of 2014, I will be relocating to St. Louis to attend University of Missouri- St. Louis. Since I've only been to St. Louis to eat at Sweetie Pies, I haven't been in the area too much. When looking for a place to live, where are some nice, safe, and affordable areas? Is downtown considered safe, because I want to be located there? Although I will be attending UMSL, I do not mind a little commute. I am more interested in being in the city. Since I will be living alone, I am looking for some affordable one bedroom apartments. If you have any advice about traveling from Minnesota to St. Louis, UMSL, apartments, or anything. Feel free to share. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 11:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
I'd say downtown is considered a good place to live--primarily along Washington Avenue. It's not what I would consider to be the more affordable area of STL City, though (it's probably among the most expensive places to rent in STL; there are some cheaper buidings down there though). Soulard is cheaper and more college-friendly, I think--the downside being that there's not a nearby MetroLink station. For good MetroLink access on the cheap, I'd look into DeBaliviere Place or Skinker-DeBaliviere.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:28 PM

6 posts, read 10,410 times
I was going to say Soulard myself...........I love Soulard.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:53 AM

135 posts, read 280,420 times
Central West End and Delmar Loop (although, technically, the latter isn't within the city limits) are two areas that have a lot of students, and are walking distance to a MetroLink station.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 AM

589 posts, read 1,107,622 times
I would suggest CWE or DeBalivier as well due to their metro access, which runs right to UMSL. I believe DeBalivier is the more affordable of the two.

I do feel downtown is safe. I work down here - and have had many late office nights with no issues.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:10 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
Just so you know, all UMSL students get free metrolink passes, so I would definitely take advantage! Many students live Downtown, CWE, and The Loop (University City)

Old 06-12-2013, 04:32 PM

Question Parking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiken View Post
I'd say downtown is considered a good place to live--primarily along Washington Avenue. It's not what I would consider to be the more affordable area of STL City, though (it's probably among the most expensive places to rent in STL; there are some cheaper buidings down there though). Soulard is cheaper and more college-friendly, I think--the downside being that there's not a nearby MetroLink station. For good MetroLink access on the cheap, I'd look into DeBaliviere Place or Skinker-DeBaliviere.

I see a lot of people talking about this Metrolink. Is there no parking in St. Louis? Is this why the Metrolink is so talked about? I was thinking about bringing my car with me to St. Louis...but now it seems like it would not be a good idea....

Old 06-12-2013, 05:44 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,748,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London16 View Post
I see a lot of people talking about this Metrolink. Is there no parking in St. Louis? Is this why the Metrolink is so talked about? I was thinking about bringing my car with me to St. Louis...but now it seems like it would not be a good idea....
There's plenty of parking. It's just that the Metro is an attractive option to get around without driving, and would certainly be cheaper for commuting to UMSL rather than paying for the gas and the on-campus parking. I think UMSL gives out passes for free, so your transportation costs would be basically zero.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 PM

135 posts, read 280,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London16 View Post
I see a lot of people talking about this Metrolink. Is there no parking in St. Louis?
Oh not at all, there's actually plenty of parking in St. Louis. I just thought the MetroLink would be a good option because it takes you straight to campus (just throwing out some advice, you know ). Since you'll be driving, you might also want to take a look at apartments in the Tower Grove South, Shaw, and Soulard neighborhoods.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:22 PM

Red face Websites?

Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions. They are greatly appreciated. Do you guys no any sites that have apartments in the areas you guys mentioned? When I try to look up apartments, there are never any located in University City or any of the other places you guys mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis