Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,481 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to St. Louis in August to start gradschool at WASHU. I'm young, single, AA female, and artsy (would probably be classified as a "hipster"). I'm looking for a neighborhood to move into that will be safe, has young professionals, is diverse, and pretty up and coming/ trendy/ hip. I'm looking for a 1 bedroom apt or loft for under $700. I'm also looking for something visually appealing/ architecture savvy. I love the vibe of Tower Grove South, but it seems too family oriented and not young enough, while downtown lofts might have a younger crowd they don't seem to be as creative friendly. Are these categories mutually exclusive in St. Louis or are there neighborhoods that embody a young, professional, and creative crowd??

Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 09:57 PM

135 posts, read 281,396 times
Central West End would be an obvious choice. I'm a postdoc at Wash U's medical campus, and CWE (where I live) is walking distance to the campus, and is filled with grad students. Tower Grove South (as well as Shaw), Soulard, Benton Park, and Lafayette Square would all be great options for you. I don't think the population in TGS is "too old", not at all. Soulard, Benton Park, and TGS are close to Cherokee Street, which in my opinion, is "hipster central" of St. Louis.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 PM

188 posts, read 377,714 times
I live in the Central West End as well and work at WashU. Its a great neighborhood with lots of young people. If you are working at WashU's medical campus, this would be the most "obvious" choice in that you will likely be living within walking distance of the homes of your colleagues and even some of the professors. If you are working on the Danforth campus, then University City offers a similar lifestyle. I think Downtown, Soulard, Tower Grove, Debalivere Place, Forest Park Southeast, Dogtown, and Clayton are also very reasonable options.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:15 AM

20 posts, read 35,389 times
I would definetly agree with the previous posts. Central West End is full of younger professionals and students. Lots of bars and restaurants and an overall 'young feel'. If you like the feel of Tower Grove South, then I would also agree with NewStLouisan and suggest the Benton Park area, Soulard, Lafayette Square. These are all full of affordable housing, great parks, and walking distance to coffee shops, brunch, neighborhood bars and great food. Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis