Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:50 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,028,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I understand that, but I look at East St. Louis to be sort of a de facto separate neighborhood in the general metro area, even though it is not politically in the same boundary or state. Just because a river runs between the two geographies, I think East St. Louis is wholeheartedly within the general St. Louis culture and realm.

The C-D.com home page has a great map that shows data by type, but not crime specifically. You can view demographics, income and education levels. This visual may give you a better idea as to the general spatial lay of the land in the St. Louis metro area.
East St. Louis is definitely a part of the Greater St. Louis Metro area, just as places as far away as Wentzville, or Belleville are. We are lucky however that the East St. Louis crime stats are not included in St. Louis City stats, as they wouldn't do anything to help the city of St. Louis...It would however help the city of East St. Louis lower their stats. It's a sad situation, but East STL really leaves a lot to be desired, in many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 02:27 PM

135 posts, read 280,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
We are lucky however that the East St. Louis crime stats are not included in St. Louis City stats, as they wouldn't do anything to help the city of St. Louis.
It might be interesting to note that the St. Louis metro area, which includes East St. Louis, does not even rank among the top 100 most dangerous metro areas in the US.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:41 AM

85 posts, read 288,119 times
One poster mentioned grocery stores. We were looking on Google and couldn't find anything - except the farmers market -- that wouldn't require a car. Please would you mind giving the name and location of the grocery store downtown? We want to live without a car.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 AM

136 posts, read 265,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking9 View Post
One poster mentioned grocery stores. We were looking on Google and couldn't find anything - except the farmers market -- that wouldn't require a car. Please would you mind giving the name and location of the grocery store downtown? We want to live without a car.
Schnucks Culinaria 315 N 9th Street If you actually mean Downtown the neighborhood, and not referring to the whole city.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:32 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,679,848 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwood89 View Post
Schnucks Culinaria 315 N 9th Street If you actually mean Downtown the neighborhood, and not referring to the whole city.
Not sure if you were talking about me looking9 (do you mean the farmers market in Soulard?), but this comes up right away if you Google St. Louis downtown grocery store. It replaced the smaller city grocer a little while ago, and when I was in town last Christmas/New Years it was pretty packed. The Old Post Office Square area seemed to be coming along quiet nicely: barber shops, coffee shops, the grocery store, etc. There are other little food/wine/bodega type stores downtown as well.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:52 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,752,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
Not sure if you were talking about me looking9 (do you mean the farmers market in Soulard?), but this comes up right away if you Google St. Louis downtown grocery store. It replaced the smaller city grocer a little while ago, and when I was in town last Christmas/New Years it was pretty packed. The Old Post Office Square area seemed to be coming along quiet nicely: barber shops, coffee shops, the grocery store, etc. There are other little food/wine/bodega type stores downtown as well.
Yes! That part of downtown is really coming along quite nicely. There's still a ways to go for sure, but it's got the anchors of the Schnuck's Culinaria, Macy's, and the 8th and Pine metro station all right there, not to mention a full-service independent bookstore, bike shop, bike commuter station, and three new apartment buildings coming on line within the next few months. Post office square is looking nowhere but up at the moment. There's still a lot of empty street space there, but I think the Post Office Square area is the most prime area for development downtown outside of Wash Ave.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 PM

Could one live in Tower Grove East or Benton Park without a car?

Old 04-14-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Could one live in Tower Grove East or Benton Park without a car?
You could live in Tower Grove East pretty easily without a car as long as you don't mind biking or taking the bus to the Grand metro station or just using the bus alone. There's a Schnuck's at Grand and Gravois and a bunch of little commercial places on Grand that would have you pretty much covered. I think Benton Park would be more difficult because there's no grocery store and the commercial offerings aren't as developed as Tower Grove.

When it comes to Tower Grove East just be aware that you should be looking as close to Grand as possible. It starts to get sketchy the farther east you go. As a general rule of thumb I'd say to stay west of Compton and north of Gravois.

Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 PM

Thank you Dawn10am. I see some info about a Food Coop on Cherokee St which also isn't so far. Any other car-less areas with single family homes or row houses that come to mind in that general area?

Old 04-14-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Thank you Dawn10am. I see some info about a Food Coop on Cherokee St which also isn't so far. Any other car-less areas with single family homes or row houses that come to mind in that general area?
Soulard is a biggie. It's got the Soulard Market which is fantastic and is pretty much all row homes. Lafayette Square also comes to mind and I think they're about to get some kind of food co-op as well. Basically, Tower Grove, Soulard, Benton Park, Lafayette Square, and Cherokee Street are the South City areas that tend to be the most walkable, affordable, and reasonably safe (although I'd say Cherokee Street is probably the least safe of the lot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis