Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:59 AM

3 posts, read 3,337 times

Advertisements

Both me and my wife (Late 20s) work in downtown STL. We have a four year old, and she is going to a catholic pre-school in 'The Hill'. I would like to switch her to a good public school for 'K'. We would like to rent for another year or so. Looking for a 2 bed/2bath condo/apt/townhome above 1000 SQFT in a safe area. We have 2 cars, so, parking either street/covered parking is must. My budget is $1500.

I was thinking Clayton/Brentwood/Kirkwood. Any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:11 PM

109 posts, read 245,878 times
I think you should look in Olivette -- it is Ladue School District (highly highly rated) and you can easily find a condo/single family home with your requirements within your budget. It is an easy commute to downtown.....

Good luck!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:46 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Sounds like you've got the right idea. I'd start searching craigslist. You shouldn't have any problems finding a place given your budget. My 1st thought was brentwood forest, but those places are right around 1000 sqft.

Something like these maybe? Updated Duplex 7rms,2bdrm+office,stainglass,yard, great location
Clayton schools near washington u

Old 08-20-2012, 01:26 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyanp12 View Post
Both me and my wife (Late 20s) work in downtown STL. We have a four year old, and she is going to a catholic pre-school in 'The Hill'. I would like to switch her to a good public school for 'K'. We would like to rent for another year or so. Looking for a 2 bed/2bath condo/apt/townhome above 1000 SQFT in a safe area. We have 2 cars, so, parking either street/covered parking is must. My budget is $1500.

I was thinking Clayton/Brentwood/Kirkwood. Any recommendations.
I've never really checked rental rates, but there are a surpising number of apartments and condo's for rent in Kirkwood. There are also a lot of smaller single family homes for rent as well.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:55 PM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times
I have rented a home in Kirkwood for over 2 years, and finally bought the house we were renting a couple months ago. I truly cannot say enough good things about living here. We thought we would put some time in here then take off to a farther-flung burb to get a bigger house. We decided that we would rather live in 1k sq ft in Kirkwood than 2k sq ft in St Charles or somewhere equally as far out. My son just started school here. They had 5 or 6 nights from February to now (first day was today) where you came up and had popsicles with the teacher, had a book reading for kids a couple times, and the teacher of your child actually visits your home during the summer months so they are more comfortable on day 1. They also have a before/after school program at ALL of the elementary schools if you and your spouse work - its $240/month for before and after care 5 days a week. It starts before school at 7am, then they come around the classrooms around 3:15 to pick everyone up, and runs until 6pm. You can't go wrong in Kirkwood.

Also, with 5 neighborhood elementary schools, you can live anywhere in Kirkwood and be close to your school. We live 3 blocks from my sons. You can also look in Glendale, Oakland, and Des Peres - they are all 3 in the Kirkwood district, and some of the schools are even in Glendale and Des Peres.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:56 PM

Thanks a lot for the comments. I am actually looking at a town house in Brentwood Forest. Heard good things about Mark Twain elementary.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 AM

321 posts, read 1,003,851 times
Actually, a townhouse in Brentwood Forest would put you in the McGrath Elementary area, but that school is essentially the same as Mark Twain Elementary anyway, in a great area with an incredibly convenient location. Did you actually find a unit with 2 baths? That is a lucky, rare find in Brentwood Forest.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:30 AM

No, It is a 1.5 bath. We are still looking to find a 2 bath unit.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:34 PM

10 posts, read 25,871 times
Kalyan,
I see this is an old post as i came across this via the forum search. We r currently in the same situation as you were few years ago. Please let me know regarding what u have decided on and/or any comments as per your research/experience so far.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,901 times
you don't say if you're looking for a house or a condo- so if you're okay with a condo- there are TONS for rent in Clayton, which would be great schools and a very nice area. Just about 10-15 minutes from downtown for work. I live in Clayton currently and work in midtown.

I would also recommend looking at Brentwood- the houses for rent are typically 2/1; but sometimes you can find a larger home in your range if you have some time to wait.

Webster groves and kirkwood are also very nice areas with good schools. You should be able to easily find a house in your 1500 budget.

Also as a bit of a side note- have you thought about buying? Your $1,500 a month rent budget would get you a nice house in webster, kirkwood or brentwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis