Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2012, 09:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,964 times

Advertisements

Husband is getting a potential transfer to Earth City Missouri... We are looking for a rural area with about 15 acres of land moderate sized home within an 1 hr drive of Earth City. Good schools would be nice, but are not a must being we homeschool, but I like to have a bit of a security blanket knowing the schools are decent in case we ever had to put them in public school one day. Prefer to have a small town feel, with people who are nice.. I have heard horror stories of families moving from out of state to a small town and getting a not so welcome greeting cause they are "new".

Any advice is appreciated..

I wanted to add, we currently live about 35 mins from any entertainment like bowling, movies, shopping.. We have a local grocery store, and a library here, those are two things I would love for where we live to have. And prefer to be at least 35-40 mins in distance to a target/walmart and goodwill/thrift of some sort.

Last edited by TNEarthmama; 07-08-2012 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2012, 10:11 AM

34 posts, read 91,919 times
There are some cute acreages in Florissant, like this one:
3510 Douglas Rd, Florissant, MO 63034 MLS# 12005910 - Zillow

To get that much land you have to go out a ways.
I found this one in Wright City:

14878 Lily Lake Ln, Wright City, MO 63390 MLS# 12030126 - Zillow

Old 07-08-2012, 10:28 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,024,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNEarthmama View Post
Husband is getting a potential transfer to Earth City Missouri... We are looking for a rural area with about 15 acres of land moderate sized home within an 1 hr drive of Earth City. Good schools would be nice, but are not a must being we homeschool, but I like to have a bit of a security blanket knowing the schools are decent in case we ever had to put them in public school one day. Prefer to have a small town feel, with people who are nice.. I have heard horror stories of families moving from out of state to a small town and getting a not so welcome greeting cause they are "new".

Any advice is appreciated..

I wanted to add, we currently live about 35 mins from any entertainment like bowling, movies, shopping.. We have a local grocery store, and a library here, those are two things I would love for where we live to have. And prefer to be at least 35-40 mins in distance to a target/walmart and goodwill/thrift of some sort.
I'd focus on rural property near Troy, Missouri in Lincoln County or rural property near Wentzville in far St. Charles County or near Warren County.

I've heard good things about Troy's high school (Troy Buchanon).

Old 07-08-2012, 12:53 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,870,149 times
As your husband is going to be working in Earth City (which is directly off I-70) I would definitely check out the I-70 corridor, west of Earth City.

Like Clementine Jones said though, Florissant does actually offer some small acreages- plus it has the bonus of having shopping amenities (Target, Schnucks, Dierbergs), bowling, etc. My realtor suggested The Car of Commerce Chute area to us when my husband and I first started looking for houses- if you have a look at a map, you'll see the area at the top of Florissant, right off the Missouri River. There was a property my husband and I were briefly interested in up here on a large lot of land, but it went under contract quickly. That area of Old Jamestown Road is actually very pretty, and has a very 'rural' feel despite being so close to everything. An extra bonus would be that it would only be a 25-30 minute commute for your husband to Earth City (save on gas!).

North County in general gets a lot of backlash on these Forums, but a lot of it is unnecessary. Yes, there are areas of North County to stay away from. Yes, there are areas of North County which have suffered a decline in recent decades. However, there is STILL a lot to love about North County- and it's much more affordable than other areas in the St. Louis region. There are still a lot of great, solid subdivisions mixed with rural acreages, all within easy commuting distance of St. Louis and surrounds. To me, this makes it a winner. (Plus, I have to defend it because DH & I have chosen to buy in North County due to the affordability per square foot. You can get a lot of house for less. We're still on the hunt for our house, but we've got our desired areas in mind!).

Good luck to you!

P.S. What is your budget? I assume you'll be buying? This will make suggestions easier

P.P.S. When/if my husband and I have children- we'll be homeschooling as well so school districts really don't factor into our area options either. There is a Homeschool Academy in Maryland Heights (just past Earth City) called 'Dayspring' which offers supplementary classes to homeschooled children- that would only be about 30 mins away from Florissant. Honestly, schools in North County get a bad rap- a lot of people seem to send their kids to private schools in this area.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:19 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,870,149 times
I haven't been able to find any properties in North County on the market with the amount of land you need (although I'm sure they exist- just none available right now!) but all of these would fit your requirements. Some of the houses look 'rough around the edges' but have your desired land and are within your commute distance

38792 State Hway A, Warrenton, MO

22300 Hoelscher Rd, Marthasville, MO

45 Ives Hall Ln, Silex, MO

25220 Kelley Ln, Jonesburg, MO

23801 Lone Oak Ln, Warrenton, MO

24728 Rustic View Ln, Warrenton, MO

Hope those help! Good Luck Again! Oh and I know for sure that Warrenton has a library- they have a Scenic Regional Library on Hway 47. I'm not sure about Jonesburg, Silex and Marthasville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis