Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 04:30 PM

2 posts, read 3,776 times

Advertisements

Hi! I've already read through a few threads started by other students moving to St. Louis, but I have a couple questions.

I'm looking for places near Wash U, or connected to Wash U by metro: some parts of University City, DeMun, Skinker/DeBaliviere, CWE. Based on some recent threads here, I'm a little concerned about living in U. City: would you say that the area between Delmar and Olive just north of the Wash U campus is safe? Some of my classes will run to 7 or 8 p.m., so it's important to find somewhere that's relatively safe after dark. I currently live in a big city and understand that car break-ins and theft from yards, porches, etc. will happen just about anywhere, but I'd like to feel comfortable walking home from the bus or metro.

Second, while I was hoping to make a trip out to St. Louis to find a place, I'm not sure I can afford the plane ticket and hotel. Has anyone had any luck renting from out of town? Are there any rental companies or apartment complexes you would especially recommend or avoid? I've been looking at Byron, Helix, Lee, and Cronin. My budget is about $800 and ideally I'd like one bedroom and a study or sunroom, if that helps.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:58 PM

551 posts, read 3,128,930 times
Well, let's see. The CWE is probably my favorite neighborhood in St. Louis, but $800 might be tough to do there. A quick search on padmapper.com shows a 410 sq. ft. studio for $775 and a pretty rough-looking 1 bedroom for $745, among other similar things. I don't know what your standards are, though. Regarding the Skinker/DeBaliviere area (aka the Loop or the Delmar Loop): Delmar is generally considered the divider between "good" (south of Delmar) and "bad" (north of Delmar), so the area is on the bubble. It is a really cool neighborhood with a couple of great live music venues and lots of bars/restaurants to walk to, but in terms of safety, I'd say it's alright. I wouldn't say it's a crime-ridden neighborhood or anything like that, but it's not exactly Mister Rogers' neighborhood, either. Where you feel safe is your personal preference, although since you mentioned that you're already used to big city livin', you'd probably feel fine here. Your budget will definitely go a lot further here than in the CWE.

I'd also bring up the Grove (aka Forest Park Southeast) as an option, because, well, I live there and think it's cool. As a young female, I can't say I feel completely comfortable wandering around the neighborhood after dark, but I guess I'd say the same about most neighborhoods in St. Louis. It's a neighborhood undergoing lots of changes, but it's arguably the most diverse neighborhood in St. Louis with a lot of great nightlife, if that's your thing. It really varies block-by-block here--there are some rough patches with lots of young professionals mixed in. I have kind of sketchy neighbors on one side and two wealthy doctors from Barnes-Jewish on the other side. That mix holds true for most of the area, I think. Just another option for you to consider!

Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,709,432 times
CWE will be tight on $800 but doable for a studio. It's hard to imagine considering Skinker-DeBaliviere anything but prefectly "city safe" -- very family oriented and diverse neighborhood. Serious crime is exceedingly rare, definitely more safe than the Grove, which is definitely an area I still like quite a bit.

But realistically if you can find something in U city near the university that would be ideal -- a good friend of mine lived in a vintage place on Kingsland about a block north of Delmar and liked it quite a bit -- a fun area, good prices, safe and close to school. Hard to go wrong there.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM

321 posts, read 1,006,880 times
I am guessing you must be avoiding Quadrangle (Wash U's Off-Campus Housing Department) due to what some other posts here may say about them. In reality, a lot of first year grad students use them simply because they are part of the university and a known and definable entity. The bottom line is the university buys up every rental building they can near campus so Quadrangle owns a majority of the available rental buildings in great locations close to campus.

Do they give Wash U students an especially good deal? Well, no, not really. Are they a quick, flexible, responsive bunch? Maybe not that either. But they are the biggest renter around campus, and you know you'll be able to at least find them when you have a problem with them (which you just might!)

Old 05-02-2012, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,776 times
Thanks for your replies! I think I'll focus on Skinker-DeBaliviere, U City and maybe DeMun, given my budget. One more question -- are there any stores in that general area that you would recommend for inexpensive furniture? Preferably stores that will deliver? I've gotten some really nice furniture from Goodwill in the past, but my impression is that St. Louis is somewhat lacking in thrift stores. Thanks again : )

Old 05-02-2012, 03:04 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,709,432 times
You should definitely try out the Goodwill Outlet Center -- they have so much stuff it's almost overwhelming! Goodwill Outlet Store | MERS Goodwill

After that, I'd try Carol House, Rothman, Weekend's Only and Value City Furniture.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 AM

11 posts, read 19,772 times
I just moved to a great place in a really nice neighborhood on Brighton Way which is right near downtown Clayton / Shaw Park. I believe there's one unit left in a 4 unit complex. 2 bed/1 bath includes water/sewer/trash AND garage parking. Rent I believe will be $800/month and it's a m2m lease. Let me know if you want some more information!

Old 05-12-2012, 11:57 AM

36 posts, read 98,587 times
Also check out The Miriam Shop...
Miriam Switching Post

Old 06-12-2018, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,521 times
I'm looking for an apartment in this area. I'm looking at a place on Kingsland about 2 blocks north of the loop..Would you say it's decently safe up to Olive? Or should we steer clear of that neighborhood altogether?

Old 06-13-2018, 12:38 PM

197 posts, read 266,716 times
I'd stay south of Olive, but i lived at Kingsland and Clemens in 2005, and never had any problems. I never felt unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis