Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 01:16 AM

2 posts, read 4,161 times

Advertisements

I'm moving from LA to work at St. Louis Children's. I was causally perusing craigslist for apartments in the CWE and found most of them to be a little stuffy and outdated. There seemed to be some cool lofts in Soulard and on Washington St in Downtown. I have this fantasy about walking to work after living in LA for 10 years, so I was focusing on the CWE, but I would be willing to expand my search.
I'd be willing to pay up to 1500/month for a 1-2 bedroom. I would prefer hardwood floors and updated appliances. I'm a single female so safety is also a priority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 05:00 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,946,612 times
Hi,
Here's some that are nice:
Metro Lofts (Forest Park Ave- closest to your work)
Park Royal/President (right of Lindell)
Coronado (Lindell)
Parc Frontenac (Kingshighway)

I will say i'm not from here (native CA) so i can't say what it's like living in CWE. I personally chose to live at the Dorchester Apartments which is in a very safe area; and it's actually only about 3 miles from your work. The nice thing about the Dorchester is that it is exactly across the street from Forest Park (which is amazing). I've walked my dogs outside in this area at 11PM and very early in the morning and have never had any issue.
I would definitely recommend coming out to visit the complexes before deciding- there are some that look great from pictures and are not what you expect in person.

Good luck!
J

Old 03-17-2012, 08:17 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,692,236 times
I would strike Coronado on Lindell from the above list, only because it is swarming with college students since it's literally across the street from SLU.

I would look at Carleton, it's the same property management group in a better location in the Central West End. Still updated. The West End Lofts are also modern like you'd find downtown...a little more removed from the heart of things but not a terrible location. I'm not totally sure on the pricing of these places, but you have a pretty solid budget. I have friend that have lived in both these buildings...the rest of my friends have lived in not-so-nice apartments so not much help there.

Old 03-17-2012, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 2,784 times
There are plenty of modern apts in the West End. I'm a realtor with Keller Williams. Contact me-I can help. lisa.jennings@kw.com.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:22 PM

4 posts, read 6,000 times
I think downtown could be a good option for you. Most of the lofts/apartments downtown were built in the last decade so lots of options when looking for something modern. Would be an easy commute by car or you could take the metro, there is a stop just a short walk from Children's.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,161 times
Thanks for the ideas. I think based on websites, West End Lofts may be closest to my style- but I think these were condos although I could find a sublet. I also found metro lofts to be quite similar. However both buildings seemed quite large. I'd prefer an old rehabbed building with a modern interior to a newish monstrosity but I'm flexible. Soulard seemed like it had more buildings that fit this description.
Should I be looking outside of the CWE?

Old 03-18-2012, 02:59 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,692,236 times
Ah, sorry, I just assumed West End Lofts were rentals since my friend rented there. There is a place for rent in that building on realtor.com in your budget. You're going to have a ton more options that fit your style on Washington Ave, I think. You can take the Metrolink to Children's hospital, at least, and do the walking thing still.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:43 PM

25 posts, read 87,194 times
Default West End Lofts

I live in the West End Lofts and know for a fact that there are rentals available. Just contact the sales office or check out Condos | Search Condominiums For Sale for STL. They are within your budget as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis