Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 07:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,252 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to St. Louis vicinity. I currently live in a suburb north of Nashville that boast to have the second best school district in Tennessee. I want to live some where that has a very nice school district and safe. I will be relocating with my children and mate who grew up in St. Louis but hasn't lived there in decades. Any suggestions on neighborhoods or specific apartment buildings I should be looking at? I'm completely clueless when it comes to the safe neighborhood. commuting isn't too big of a factor as long as I'm no more than 45 minutes from the downtown area.
Can anyone help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,692,625 times
How much money you have to spend/type of house your hoping to get will impact greatly where you end up. I'd say most people in STL consider Clayton & Ladue to be the best school districts, followed by Parkway & Rockwood.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:17 PM

46 posts, read 134,275 times
Move to South County. Safe. Affordable.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:59 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,027,941 times
Yep, the $$'s you have to spend will greatly influence where you're looking for housing and in St. Louis 90% of housing costs seem to be related to the school districts. Most of Clayton and Ladue districts cost a pretty penny to purchase in. Parkway has some decently affordable areas, especially further North. Rockwood has some affordable areas too, but I'm not very familiar with that district.

I know you mentioned apartments, which can be had in any of the above areas, and prices will vary similarly with different school districts. All of these areas are for the most part safe however, and with the exception of some of the far reaches of the Rockwood school district, you should be within a 45 minute commute of downtown from all locations.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:05 PM

396 posts, read 654,631 times
Try looking at Crestwood, very good school district (Lindbergh). housing is decent priced. 15 to 20 min to downtown, close to Kirkwood and Webster downtowns w/o Kirkwood and Webster prices

Old 12-28-2011, 05:27 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,757,686 times
I'm not familiar with suburbs North of Nashville, but I know Williamson County, and if you want something like Williamson County, check out western St. Louis County. St. Charles County is also kinda similar, but it's cheaper (quality & prices) Both areas are very safe, with good schools as far as I know.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,252 times
Thank you all for the insight on the areas. I don't mind paying more for housing to be in a really good school district. Now that I have some areas to compare I can begin my search.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:22 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,650,746 times
If you want the absolute best school districts, you want Ladue and Clayton schools. You will definitely pay for them though!

Old 12-29-2011, 01:35 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,601,668 times
I can't really offer an suggestions without knowing more info. What exactly is your budget and how many bedrooms/sqft will you need? Are your children in elementary school age or highschool? How long do you plan to rent this condo?

One thing to consider is that a VERY large percentage (compared to other metros) of kids go to private prep schools in St. Louis. Pick a good prep school then you can live just about anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis