Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 01:12 PM

8 posts, read 28,010 times

Advertisements

We are moving there in a month and I was wondering if you enjoy living in Chesterfield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 06:14 PM

366 posts, read 1,744,495 times
I live one mile from the Chesterfield line and lived in Chesterfield for almost 20 years. My daughter and ex still live there. My thoughts are it is one of the best areas in the St. Louis area to live. You can pretty much get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time, and have parks and shopping all around you. Great newer neighborhods and the school districts are top rated.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,571 times
Default I Moved Back....

Native St. Louisan whose parents retired before I reached adulthood.

I got the opportunity to return to St. Louis when I took a new job, and I considered carefully where to move. I looked at homes from the Internet and took the opportunity to drive around a lot when I had a job interview here. (I should mention that I work in St. Charles County, so the lovely reverse commute was one of the determining factors, but my "other half" had no job at the time, so a fairly central location was a must. No South City, for example.)

I wound up moving to Chesterfield, specifically the "old" part of Chesterfield, west of 141, south of Olive, north of Ladue.

Lots to recommend it. Location, location, location. Very easy to get to 270, 40, 70, 44, even 364 up to the other side of St. Charles. Mature neighborhoods, stable community, great infrastructure. Very good schools (though Rockwood has passed Parkway, I'm told).

The area I am in is VERY stable. A surprising number of original owners, there since the late 60s. Which means there are homes going on the market. You do have to look at the homes here carefully, but you really do everywhere. They typically need a little work, but for the most part people have taken good care of things. Very friendly neighborhood, typical of St. Louisans.

I bought into the area because of resale down the line and location. I haven't been disappointed.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:54 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,801,434 times
Chesterfield is a nice upper middle class community about a 20-30 minutes West of St. Louis, in West County. It is great for families, very good schools, ...not so great for young singles etc...It's out a little bit, but not to a severe extreme. If I worked downtown for example, and lived there, it would be at my limit of a commute of distance for St. Louis vs other bigger cities.

It isn't an older home character type suburb closer to the city. Mostly newer stuff, bigger lots, and bigger homes. It's a popular upper middle class suburb of St. Louis that is outside of 270. If you have kids age 1-17, and you like to be out a little bit, but within city striking distance for visits, etc.. it'll be fine for you.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:07 PM

Thanks so much! Look forward to our move in 3 weeks. This will be a big change for us after living on the west coast for so long. Hope our 22 yr old son will enjoy it. He's going inot business with us.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 PM

Your 22 year old son, will probably want to spend his time in the city...not sure if he is living with you, or at least at first...?

Chesterfield isn't a place for a 20 something imo...it is for younger families. He might want to look into ....burbs: U City/Clayton, Brentwood etc...or city areas: Downtown, Central West End, The Grove, Soulard, Lafayette Square etc...and so on....

He'll get bored quickly in Chesterfield. Great for parents and for kids to grow up...out slightly more than my taste, but not bad. Doable. Quiet nice upper middle class family area.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:51 PM

He is going to live with us at first till he gets on his feet financially; so it will work for him for awhile. Are there colleges close by?

Old 08-10-2007, 02:56 PM

Washington University and SLU each border Forest Park(largest city park in U.S.) on opposite ends. These would be a 20 minute hwy ride, but pretty easy...construction etc...going on these days on hwys....but St. Louis compared to bigger places has decent traffic.

Webster University is in Webster, UMSL, to the North of you...others I am not thinking of...etc....

But socially, 20 somethings will congregate in many city neighborhoods, but also close in rim of burbs like U.City, Clayton, Brentwood, ...and also in Maryland Heights area further out.

He'll just have to drive a little bit hwy drive, socially, to be around his peers much of the time. ...which is fine to save money etc...and do all that stuff for a while....

Old 10-10-2007, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 27,722 times
There are so many colleges near chesterfield, depending on his previous education, there are many great community colleges as well as 4 year universities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis