Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,167 times

Advertisements

Got myself a job in Olivette but know nothing about St. Louis and the surrounding areas. I'm a young-ish, single guy looking for a nice, low crime place to live (rental) with good pubs and restaurants w/in walking distance.

Is Olivette cool for singles to live? If not, I would like a short commute to Olivette. I can do distance calcs on google maps, but am jaded from driving in SoCal where a 10 mile commute can take 40-50 minutes. What direction is considered opposite traffic flow during rush hours?

Initial searches point me to Central West End, but more suggestions to broaden my search would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 06:58 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,056,442 times
Welcome to the Lou! Truth be told, you'll be hard pressed to find a 40 minute commute inside of St. Louis unless you're going from the boonies to the city at rush hour, at any other time of day that drive could probably happen in 30 minutes. Reverse commutes would be living in the city and working in the county, essentially going West in the morning and going back East in the evening.

Olivette is fine and dandy, but it's not a place i'd be picking if i was a young single male. For you, i'd be checking places closer to the city center. The Central West End is a great choice, and would probably get you one of the quickest commute times. Other areas that would work and give you a short commute would be University City by the loop, or even Clayton.

The CWE will be your best bet though for pubs within a stones throw, clubs, and a vibrant young community. The close proximity to Washington University and St. Louis university makes it a hangout spot for college students, and adults alike and it's one of the "hip" places to be in town.

A little further into the city you'd find the Washington Ave, and Soulard areas appealing as well, both have great nightlife scenes. Washington Ave is more a loft district with a bunch of former warehouses that have recently been converted. Soulard is basically made up of a mixture of row houses and single family homes, and is home to numerous bars. Many of the homes have been converted into apartments, which helps bring rental costs down a little.

Crime isn't going to be a major problem in any of these areas. Property crime in soulard seems to be a bit of an issue because off street parking can come at a premium. Many of the lofts on Washington Ave offer parking garages with rental which should keep people out of your stuff, but in past months there had been some violent instances in some of the clubs. But it's probably better to just practice some head-smarts than rely solely on location to provide safety, none of the areas are that bad...and the CWE is probably the best. Good luck

Old 03-12-2011, 07:37 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,612,222 times
cwe, downtown, the loop/skinker-debaliver, or soulard. All within ~15-20 min reverse commute. All young, active, walkable places to live with some wicked cool architecture.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,782,431 times
Clayton is less than 10 minutes away, very safe & clean. It has a walkable downtown that looks like something out of a much larger city. You should definitely look into it. The areas around Washington University are nice too.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,888,430 times
The Loop, Central West End, Downtown, Soulard
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis