Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 6,060 times

Advertisements

My husband, our 4 year old daughter and I are possibly relocating to St. Louis in the next few month for my husband's job from New Mexico. We need to be close to downtown (walking or metrolink). I would really like to be in an area that is family friendly with parks and a good school district. I've never visited and I don't know much about the area so I need some help figuring out where is best. I've looked at Soulard and University City. We're looking to rent and spend around $1000 a month. Any suggestions?

Last edited by EnchantedChaos; 01-22-2011 at 07:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 02:41 AM

264 posts, read 701,895 times
Central West End, Clayton.

Great options with metrolink connection to downtown.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:51 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,065,838 times
Clayton would be your best bet if you can find an apartment that suits your needs for $1000. Your apartment choices will be very slim at $1000 but if the combination of good schools and easy public transit commute to downtown are your highest priorities, then I think Clayton is by far your best choice. Clayton schools are not good, they're excellent. Shaw Park and Forest Park are both very nice and a short drive or a walk from where you'd be.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:37 AM

4 posts, read 9,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Clayton would be your best bet if you can find an apartment that suits your needs for $1000. Your apartment choices will be very slim at $1000 but if the combination of good schools and easy public transit commute to downtown are your highest priorities, then I think Clayton is by far your best choice. Clayton schools are not good, they're excellent. Shaw Park and Forest Park are both very nice and a short drive or a walk from where you'd be.
They Demun neighborhood in Clayton has a few 2 bedroom apartments in the $1000 price range. Metrolink is just down the road (probably a 3/4 mile walk) at Skinker and Forest Park Pkwy. There's also an elementary school in this neighborhood and Concordia Park, Forest Park, Walgreens/Schnucks, and a few restaurants are all within walking distance. I would also check out apartments at other areas of the blue Metrolink line. Stay away from STL City due to their school districts, not because the areas are necessarily bad. Finding a place near a blue Metrolink stop will at least put you in U-City, Clayton, Richmond Heights, Brentwood, Maplewood, or Shrewsbury which all have better school districts than STL City with Clayton being the best.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:31 AM

321 posts, read 1,006,106 times
With a 4 year old and a $1000/month price range my first choice would be Brentwood. You can easily find one of the 2 bedroom units in Brentwood Forest at that price and then you are walking distance to McGrath Elementary, close to tons of retail, parks and within a mile to the Brentwood Metrolink station. It is not as urban as Soulard or the U City areas you mentioned (or Clayton), but it a very good compromise to get excellent schools in a very family oriented and safe environment in a prime central location.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:42 AM

21 posts, read 38,363 times
I live in U City and the schools are hit or miss. Flynn Park and Jackson Park are both good for elementary school. Metrolink is a pretty easy from the Eastern and Southern section of U City. U city is pretty diverse in that there are parts that feel very urban, very neighborhoody (word???), very upscale, and very poor. My brother-in-law rents a place on Pershing Ave. near Flynn Park elementary and his rent is about $1200, but that covers all utilities other than TV/internet. That would be a good place to look.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,689,875 times
There are some great magnet and charter options in the city, but you have missed the lottery for fall, so I would suggest, as others have, looking at areas with good neighborhood schools. Or, if you find yourself really attached to Soulard or other city neighborhoods you could look at some of the available parochial schools. Elementary Schools - Locations | Archdiocese of St. Louis[]=1062

The simple fact is that Clayton schools are up there with the best in the metro, so if you can find a place in your budget there, it's a great bet, but all of the options mentioned above are worth checking out.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 PM

321 posts, read 1,006,106 times
The suggestion from cnult brings up a good point between the various choices given here. His brother-in-law can charge $1200/mo for his place on Pershing because there are so many Wash U types like myself who would be willing to pay the extra $$ to live so close to campus while still having a top neighborhood elementary school. If your child is just 4, he or she can attend Flynn Park for 5 or 6 years before you have to think about middle school (you'll probably move elsewhere by then). However, you could pay 20% less and still be at an excellent elementary school just 5 to 7 minutes further out on the Metrolink in you settle someplace like Brentwood instead. You said you visited Soulard and U City but don't mention if their more walkable, more urban feel is worth the extra cost to you or not, or if you would be happy in a more suburban (but still "close in") setting with good schools but at a lower cost (i.e. Brentwood).

Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM

2 posts, read 6,060 times
Thanks for the info everyone!
To clarify, I haven't actually been able to visit the area yet. All I have been able to do is look at whatever info is online. And I think I would happier in a more sub-urban area, I have really liked what I have seen of Brentwood. It seems to be a nice balance of a suburban feel without being really far away from when my husband would be working. If anyone has any more info about Brentwood I would love to hear it!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:40 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,065,838 times
Yeah, Brentwood would be a strong choice. wustul mentioned Brentwood Forest. I have known a couple people who have lived there - it seems to be mostly professional folks who aren't quite ready to buy a house of their own, but still on the up-and-up. Lot of singles and young families. I like the recommendation. If you're planning to have a second child you should probably try to stretch into a 3 bedroom, which might run a little more than your budget in Brentwood Forest, but I am really not sure. There may be smaller single families in the Brentwood that you could rent for $1000 as well. Schools in Brentwood have an outstanding reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis