Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 08:08 AM

21 posts, read 35,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankslap71 View Post
Since several have posted positives I’ll post some of things we do not enjoy, things I wish I knew before moving here.
1. Wind, it blows relentlessly often. When it is windy, it lasts all day. Strong powerful wind, not just a breeze.
2. Litter. It’s everywhere. Wind may be partially to blame but I have seen people throw trash right out of their cars. Look around and you can’t miss the litter.
3. Drugs. A very big problem here. The 15 splits the town in half and it is a main corridor for drug trafficking. There are busts at our hotels and along the 15 all the time. Think of all the ones they don’t catch.
4. Lots of fast food here and not much else, sadly lacking in unique quality restaurants with nice ambiance.
5. If you are not LDS you will struggle socially. It’s not that they aren’t nice people, they just don’t have a lot of extra time between work, family and church. We started to notice this after a few months.
6. If you rely on locals for your business you will find Cedar City Residents to be very frugal for the most part.
7. Most of the cool outdoor activities are not in town but at least a half hour away or more.
8. The city oversells many things. A great example is historic downtown main st. It’s like 2 blocks with really no cool shopping or restaurants. The rest of main is mixed up with lots of hotels, strip malls and abandoned old hotels with squatters.
9. There is a culture of misogyny and racism. We noticed this after a few months.
10. This town loves its motor sports. Lots of atv riding all through the streets and many times they are kicking up dust on the side of the road and not operating safely on the streets.
11. Lots of good old boys who love to “roll coal” in the trucks at every opportunity.
12.For a town that tries to promote cycling, cyclists on the road are not treated well at all.
13. Winter. If it’s not your thing you’ll find it frustrating, cold and windy.
14. Wind. Again because it’s so bad here.

Park Discovery is fun for kids and a Natural Grocer just opened which is pretty cool.
I lived in SLC on an off for about twenty years, also lived in Logan and Garden City. I have been in Alaska for past six and considering Cedar City. We have a 9 year old, we're not LDS, but have had lots of great LDS friends in the past (not since having a kid though). My wife grew up in SLC non-LDS and had some minor issues with feeling left out, etc.

Curious about Cedar City, is it becoming more diverse with non-LDS families? Utah has so many awesome smaller towns, but outside of SLC county the LDS culture becomes something I'm concerned for raising a kid in, not because I have anything against the culture, but just for my kid being left out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 01:03 PM

5 posts, read 6,584 times
If you have a child are not LDS you will find it difficult. People will argue this and say it isn’t true. Trust me, it is.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:17 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Why not? More like it doesn't fit your gun-toting, coyote-shooting MAGA narrative. Sounds pretty on-point to me.
These few words say more than all of your other posts combined. Why in Heaven's name would you move to such a Republican, 2A supporting, conservative state when you have such obvious disdain for the beliefs of most of its inhabitants? California kick you out?

To the post, and specifically directed at others who have lived elsewhere, how are Cedar's winters compared to cities in the Midwest, specifically Chicago's? I have read that Cedar gets slightly more snow each year than northern Illinois, but the daily winter highs are significantly warmer. In Illinois, often the snow that falls in December is still on the ground (usually as piled snow from shoveling or plowing) until April. And, we frequently get cold snaps that are single-digit or even below zero (the record is something like -26°, but temperatures below -10°F are pretty rare). Personally, I think the weather in and around Kanab is "ideal", but that's a small enough town that I don't think adequate services would be found there, I anticipate needing a better staffed hospital as I age in. All things considered, is Dixie a better choice for retirement than Cedar?

Old 09-05-2020, 06:34 PM

148 posts, read 459,439 times
I vote yes, Dixie is a better choice than Cedar for retirement.

Old 09-07-2020, 12:36 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenSG View Post
I vote yes, Dixie is a better choice than Cedar for retirement.
Thanks, Karen. Is your recommendation based on weather only, or does it relate to better services in St. George, etc.?

Old 09-13-2020, 11:13 AM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
These few words say more than all of your other posts combined. Why in Heaven's name would you move to such a Republican, 2A supporting, conservative state when you have such obvious disdain for the beliefs of most of its inhabitants? California kick you out?

To the post, and specifically directed at others who have lived elsewhere, how are Cedar's winters compared to cities in the Midwest, specifically Chicago's? I have read that Cedar gets slightly more snow each year than northern Illinois, but the daily winter highs are significantly warmer. In Illinois, often the snow that falls in December is still on the ground (usually as piled snow from shoveling or plowing) until April. And, we frequently get cold snaps that are single-digit or even below zero (the record is something like -26°, but temperatures below -10°F are pretty rare). Personally, I think the weather in and around Kanab is "ideal", but that's a small enough town that I don't think adequate services would be found there, I anticipate needing a better staffed hospital as I age in. All things considered, is Dixie a better choice for retirement than Cedar?
May be because:
- there is no law that says that you have to agree with the political beliefs of the current residents of the state, or that you need to hold back your political views if you are in the minority
- the state, representing the same inhabitants, is trying hard to seek growth from outside and most of that is from those that do not fit the "a Republican, 2A supporting, conservative state" stereotype
- just because a particular segment is politically dominant historically and now does not mean it will stay that way forever. Sometimes light even reaches the darkest spots

If we get a second residence, Cedar City and possibly Torrey would be the choice. Kanab, on the other hand, would not make my list.

Completely agree with you on healthcare. It is a must in retirement!

Old 09-13-2020, 12:16 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post

If we get a second residence, Cedar City and possibly Torrey would be the choice. Kanab, on the other hand, would not make my list.

Completely agree with you on healthcare. It is a must in retirement!
Why not Kanab?

Old 09-13-2020, 12:37 PM

3,097 posts, read 2,223,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Stemi View Post
Why not Kanab?
First, we live in SLC - and Cedar City is closer and more easily doable distance. Second, we don't like high heat - and Cedar City is much better for that due to the elevation. We also like somewhat bigger towns with services - and Cedar City fits that profile better. It is closer to the personal points of interest - Bryce, Zion, Grand Staircase Escalante NM and Capitol Reef. Finally, it has the Shakespeare festival.

Old 09-13-2020, 01:15 PM

565 posts, read 471,923 times
Sounds like Panguitch is in your future.

Old 09-16-2020, 11:12 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
First, we live in SLC - and Cedar City is closer and more easily doable distance. Second, we don't like high heat - and Cedar City is much better for that due to the elevation. We also like somewhat bigger towns with services - and Cedar City fits that profile better. It is closer to the personal points of interest - Bryce, Zion, Grand Staircase Escalante NM and Capitol Reef. Finally, it has the Shakespeare festival.
Ok, I agree with a lot of what you mentioned, but just realize that Cedar City had several days this summer in the mid to upper 90's. I consider that "high heat" but others may not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of: