Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:04 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,342,942 times

Advertisements

Looks like we might be making a trip ...

Were going to be looking in the area around 30 minute drive from Springfield. Our son and his wife are going with us so these need to be selling points ..not real estate at this time.

We want to observe the area .. check it out .. see what its like so to say ...

Where do we need to be ..

Staying as far as a hotel rental cabin etc??

Places to eat?

Places to see?

All of you have been great so far thanks so much for all the past advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 08:38 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,516,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2beamissourian View Post
Looks like we might be making a trip ...

Were going to be looking in the area around 30 minute drive from Springfield. Our son and his wife are going with us so these need to be selling points ..not real estate at this time.

We want to observe the area .. check it out .. see what its like so to say ...

Where do we need to be ..

Staying as far as a hotel rental cabin etc??

Places to eat?

Places to see?

All of you have been great so far thanks so much for all the past advice!
Branson is a pretty cool area about 30 min away. Im not too much in to the shows but its a neat little town. Springfield has all kinds of good eats! There are most of the usual chains and some really good others. For steak and that kinda thing, I prefer Colton's on Independence just west of Glenstone. Mexican, There is Zio's. I also like a little hole in the wall downtown but I am sorry I cant remember the name. If you ask a local, Im sure they will know. Its awsome food and its about a block from the tall Great Southern Bank building. Brew co is a cool place to catch a burger and brew or some tastey wings! Its also downtown near the ball field. I live in Joplin, about 1 hour to the southwest but I make it to Springfield often with work. I also enjoy the trip to Branson and usually stay at the Chateau near the Table Rock dam. If you go to Branson, you must check out an awsome bbq place on the landing called Famous Daves! Silver Dollar City is a cool experience. Hope I could help you some. Good luch and have a safe trip!
GSD353

Last edited by DocGSD; 06-25-2007 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: type-O.... well cought one at least

Old 06-26-2007, 08:44 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,657,949 times
Exclamation Branson Traffic Warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD353 View Post
Branson is a pretty cool area about 30 min away. Im not too much in to the shows but its a neat little town.
I also enjoy the trip to Branson and usually stay at the Chateau near the Table Rock dam. If you go to Branson, you must check out an awsome bbq place on the landing called Famous Daves! Silver Dollar City is a cool experience. Hope I could help you some. Good luch and have a safe trip!
GSD353
I mean no offense to GSD at all here but I just wanted to warn you about Branson's traffic. If you're in the area and have time, it seems like a must to visit there ("You were right next to Branson and YOU DIDN'T GO THERE???!!!") but you should know that the traffic there is as bad as I've seen outside of California! I'm not telling you not to go but am guessing mornings and weekdays are the best times to avoid the traffic. Oh...and I suggest getting a map and tips from the Chamber of Commerce or a real estate agent...or something! On our first visit, we drove all over trying to figure out where we were and where anything was. Things are all spread out and it was kind of overwhelming. Nothing like Vegas, where the strip is easily found. Now, Fremont Street in Vegas is another matter.

By the way, GSD, we've been planning to visit Branson's Landing and we'll be sure to check out Famous Dave's! Thanks for the tip!

Hey, 2b...I've got to get busy but I'll come back later with my own humble attempts to answer a few of your questions. For now, I'll just ask one of my own: When are you coming?

MrsG

Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 AM

I have been to Branson ...

Honest we want more of a REAL view ... community happenings?

Is there a beach where ppl swim?

what do young couples do with there children - fun things?
My son and wife have 2 young boys 2 and 3 years old.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:19 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,064,811 times
Few suggestions:
Wonders Of Wildlife - Home
Welcome to Dickerson Park Zoo
General Sweeny's - A Museum of Civil War History ,,,and,,,
Wilson's Creek National Battlefield - Wilsons Creek National Battlefield (U.S. National Park Service)
and of course, Sporting Goods Equipment - Fishing, Camping, Hunting, Boating, Marine, & Outdoors Gear & Equipment - Bass Pro Shops

Many ideas here, depending upon your desires:
Branson-Springfield Missouri Tourist & Vacation Information.
Springfield, Missouri - Official Visitor Information (http://www.springfieldmo.org/final/ - broken link)
City of Joplin, Missouri
Carthage CVB

And of course,
Fantastic Caverns - Springfield, Missouri USA - America's Ride-Through Cave
,,,and,,,
7225 E Crystal Cave Ln
Springfield, MO 65803
(417) 833-9599

Old 06-27-2007, 11:22 AM

Wow I had no idea of all the things in the area..............here I was thinking of just getting away from it all.............and there is soo much to offer......... wow!!

Where I live now we have to drive at least 1 hour to get anywhere to do anything ..(concerts, nice dinning etc)

lol maybe the sticks are there to fool us!

Old 06-27-2007, 12:24 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,064,811 times
lol,, yea, S'field and that area [sans Branson ] are excellent, much to offer and see.
Also, depending upon your tastes [and if have critters w/ yas at the time], there are some good local places to grab some vittles:

Agrario Restaurant & Bodega Bar - Downtown Springfield Fine Dining
Coyote's Adobe Cafe - Springfield, Missouri
Home Page
Italian Restaurant and Bar - Pasta and Seafood. Springfield, Missouri - Home
:: ZiggiesCafe.com ::
About Fish - Casual Fine Dining, Springfield, Missouri (http://www.eatatfish.com/about_fish.asp - broken link)

James River Grill - but may be closed now for remodeling?

Old 06-27-2007, 03:39 PM

90 posts, read 163,717 times
Default Table Rock Lake

Hi! Hope you have a great time on your trip.

The best thing about the Branson area is Table Rock Lake. If you don't have a boat, you can rent one at the area marinas.

Silver Dollar City is also GREAT!

Branson Landing is fun to walk around. Haven't checked this out yet but there is supposed to be a fantastic Mexican restaurant there.

Don't forget to relax! For those of us who live here the atmosphere is really laid back.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:57 PM

38 posts, read 262,344 times
the missouri department of conservation has many well stocked and maintained lakes for fishing......And there's nothing cuter than a little kids face when they catch their first fish.....And they have nice parks and nature trails.......

Old 06-28-2007, 07:33 PM

145 posts, read 656,097 times
Great place to take kids and meet local families that isn't touristy is Springfield Conservation Nature Center.
There are many nice hotels--pm me with price range/amenties/etc and I can give you great recommendations (I used to work as a hotel receptionist for some , thus I know about most all of them!)
Restaurants--there are tons of great places. For a great time with the kids, the Incredible Pizza Company (Battlefield and Campbell) got rave reviews all the time (even the adults like going there). Once you select your hotel, I could give you recommendations for nearby restos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area