Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:33 PM

7,539 posts, read 11,383,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Almost 80 percent of National Football League players are flirting with bankruptcy two years after they retire, according to Sports Illustrated. NBA players aren’t faring much better. 60 percent of former National Basketball Association players end up broke within five years of retirement. Athletes squander millions of dollars due to bad decisions, lavish spending and poor financial planning. Here is a list of athletes that have lost their fortunes through some of the biggest financial blunders of all time.

Seven costly pro athlete screw-ups - Yahoo! Sports
Didn't realize how much a problem this was. What are these athletes majoring in during college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:08 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,009,636 times
I read an article written by a guy who was an accountant for professional athletes. He said that most of them live paycheck to paycheck and blow their money on depreciating assets instead of putting it away. It's all about the nicest jewelry, cars, boats, and showing up the money.

They started having a seminar for NFL rookies that is mandatory about how to handle money.

I know that if I could get my hands on what some of them make in a single game, I would never be broke again.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:22 AM

18,237 posts, read 25,897,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I read an article written by a guy who was an accountant for professional athletes. He said that most of them live paycheck to paycheck and blow their money on depreciating assets instead of putting it away. It's all about the nicest jewelry, cars, boats, and showing up the money.

They started having a seminar for NFL rookies that is mandatory about how to handle money.

I know that if I could get my hands on what some of them make in a single game, I would never be broke again.
RjRobb2 is absolutely right. As a guy who never made a lot of money, it just astounds me what goes through the minds of some of these athletes. The investing seminar is a GOOD thing. You never know, especially as a football player, when one hit can end your career, or in the case of the New England Patriots Daryl Stingley, when one hit can put you in a wheelchair.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:12 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,471,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post

I think a big problem for the NFL guys is alot of guys who are only going to be making "midling" NFL money for 2-4 years are trying to keep up w/ the $100MM contarct guys. Alot of more journeyman players are only in the league for a few years. They make mid six figures. But they are in a money culture dominated by multi-millionaire spenders. So they try to "keep up the the locker room jones" and **** it all away.

Not saying its not dumb, but I can see why the number is so high.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 PM

12,967 posts, read 13,701,057 times
I heard about a young guy who signed out of Oklahoma in the draft , someone who's kid played with him there said he is making either 22 or 27 car payments already, for friends and family I guess. I wouldn't be suprised if it were true.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I heard about a young guy who signed out of Oklahoma in the draft , someone who's kid played with him there said he is making either 22 or 27 car payments already, for friends and family I guess. I wouldn't be suprised if it were true.

I appreciate someone wanting to do something for their friends and family but this is just ridiculous. If you want to do something for them, put some money in some modest investments, not purchase them depreciating assets that are not going to be worth anything 5 years from now.

**** like his is why we went into such a deep recession. People are just stupid with their money.

Chris Klein who is a midfielder of the Los Angeles Galaxy has started a business being a financial planner for professional athletes. It's a genius idea. Someone needs to refer the NFL players to him.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:44 PM

I'd think that with the amount of money these athletes make they should consider paying for more things like cars with cash. This would cut down on the number of creditors they will have.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:00 PM

And also reduce the amount of interest they pay.

That player probably got the loans based on earning potential becuase it likely didnt have the cash yet. When he gets his signing bonus, he needs to pay them all off but he probably wont.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,045,966 times
I have heard of basketball players carrying large amounts of cash on them. One player said he carries 5k cash on him. Koybe bryants wife has a expensive taste & bryant bought his wife a 3 million dollar ring shortly after he was accused of raping of young woman in co.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I have heard of basketball players carrying large amounts of cash on them. One player said he carries 5k cash on him.
Well I hope he never gets mugged. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports