Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinion View Post
Right now as it stands in the 215 here are my picks.

1. Phillies

2. Eagles

3. Flyers

4. Sixers

5. Big 5 Basketball (Temple, St. Joes, Drexel, Nova and Lasalle)
Nice! - stick that in your palestra you dirty quakers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 02:05 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Probably the Lakers are the most popular team in LA since they tend to win unlike the Clippers. Of-course the Dodgers and Angels games are also well attended. USC & UCLA have great games in football & basketball. The local junior college & high schools are also good [even the Pasadena Bulldogs

Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,466,086 times
LA:

1. Bandwagon of who ever is winning.
2. Bandwagon of who ever is winning.
4. Bandwagon of who ever is winning.
5. Bandwagon of who ever is winning.
6. Bandwagon of who ever is winning.
7. One of the former LA Area NFL Teams.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 PM

3 posts, read 8,053 times
I'm not from here, but my cousin's boyfriend is and I visited there last summer. Cleveland is probably:
1. Browns
2. Indians
3. Cavs
4. Ohio State

Even if the Browns don't win (this year in particular), the place is usually sold out. It also has a good baseball tradition with the Indians, they did support them through all the lean years, but not on a religious level. I went to a few games at Progressive Field, when the team was all but eliminated in August. There were still a lot of Indians fans, but it was nowhere near a sellout crowd. A good chunk of them were Twins fans (who they were playing). Only between the first Browns moving to Baltimore and their return as an expansion team did they embrace the Tribe as #1. Of course that was when the Indians won the division just about every year and nearly the World Series. So you could say it was an NFL city but baseball was the most popular sport at that period.

If the Cavs didn't have LeBron James, they wouldn't be as much of a draw.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
in New Mexico

leagues-

NFL
and everything else is just mixed MLB,College Basketball/Football,NBA, no one dominating league after NFL

also depending on which side of the state you live on you will have your AZ,TX, or CO teams so its all a mix, but mostly Dallas Cowboys dominate the scene,Denver Broncos would be 2nd.

in Albuquerque

Dallas Cowboys-(they even opened a Dallas Cowboy store here in the mall)
New Mexico Lobos
Denver Broncos
Pittsburgh Steelers
Los Angeles Dodgers
New York Yankees
Albuquerque Isotopes
soccer,snow boarding,motocross

Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
In DC, Redskins are a religion. Naturally after that it's a large drop off.

In the past few years, I argue it's;

Redskins
(BIG DROP OFF)
Capitals (Alex Ovetchkin has really brought in some fans)
Wizards
Georgetown/UMD Basketball (probably Hoyas over UMD)
Virginia Tech Football (In Northern Virginia; UVA has a LOT of work to do)
Nationals

Asides;

Someone commented on Philadlephia (used to live there) I generally agree although I think the Eagles at least tie with the Phillies. and after the Big 5 basketball you can add Penn State Football.

I was very surprised by Cleveland (go to school near there) and how passionate they are about Buckeye football.

I got family down in Charleston, SC who incidentally still follow the Redskins from before the Panthers came to Carolinas.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:13 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,435,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
In DC, Redskins are a religion. Naturally after that it's a large drop off.

In the past few years, I argue it's;

Redskins
(BIG DROP OFF)
Capitals (Alex Ovetchkin has really brought in some fans)
Wizards
Georgetown/UMD Basketball (probably Hoyas over UMD)
Virginia Tech Football (In Northern Virginia; UVA has a LOT of work to do)
Nationals

Asides;

Someone commented on Philadlephia (used to live there) I generally agree although I think the Eagles at least tie with the Phillies. and after the Big 5 basketball you can add Penn State Football.

I was very surprised by Cleveland (go to school near there) and how passionate they are about Buckeye football.

I got family down in Charleston, SC who incidentally still follow the Redskins from before the Panthers came to Carolinas.
I've read articles where DC United regularly gets higher tv ratings than the Nationals. Whould you say they are more popular than the Nationals, or do they just have more passionate fans?

Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I've read articles where DC United regularly gets higher tv ratings than the Nationals. Whould you say they are more popular than the Nationals, or do they just have more passionate fans?
More passionate fans. They are a sucessful team but despite the high immigrant rate of DC area, soccer has little buzz outside of the sports networks.

THe Nats get MUCH more press coverage from mainstream media.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:33 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Metro Lexington is 90% Kentucky Wildcats, 3% Louisville Cardinals, Tennessee Vols, & Ohio State, with lots of other teams taking up the remaining 1%.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:47 PM

In washington DC, you cannot underestimate the holdover of Orioles fans from before the Nats came, they talk as much Orioles as they do Nats on the radio and Tv.

Also I honestly don't know where UVA fits on the sports scale, they were probably mid level during the 80s and 90s in Northern VA when they had a good bball team but now, meh.

@at censusdata

I read that statewide the Cards only got like 16% fan support while UK is like 60%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports