Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:28 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,275,588 times

Advertisements

These events have always been my favorite to watch and it's been great to see the dominating performance of both the US men's and women's team. Halfway through the 8 events the medal standings are...

6 - United States (1-3-2)
6 - Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Sweden (3-1-2)
0 - rest of the world

Bite that matches the bark | NBC Olympics (http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-features/news/newsid=432067.html#bite+that+matches+bark - broken link)

For all you old-timers that may remember this and those that haven't seen it yet, "The Kaiser" Franz Klammer, the greatest down-hiller of all time in perhaps the greatest Winter Olympics performance ever...

YouTube - Franz Klammer - 1976 Olympic Gold Medal Run
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:56 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,480,178 times
Nice skiathlon race yesterday.

Northug can go....

Old 02-21-2010, 11:45 AM

73,267 posts, read 63,171,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
I love Shani. I think he's a wonderful role model. No bragging, etc . . . he just goes out there and gets the job down. I am very impressed by the meticulous approach he takes with his training. One feature mentioned his detailed training journals. That's certainly a great skill and habit to carry forward into many areas of life. Congratulations Shani.
I am not trying to open a can of worms here, but this is just what I felt. I looked him up and found out he was the first African-American to win the gold medal for an individual winter olympics event(he did it in 2006). His achievement of a gold medal in the 2010 Winter Olympics was like ,well, I can't describe it. I felt something I don't always feel. A feeling of something to be proud of that day, something in my lit up.
I would agree he is a good role model. He gets the job done and doesn't worry about it.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,275,588 times
Men's Super Combined Results

Spoiler
Bode Miller with the Gold!!! Three other US skiiers in the top 11, Ted Liggety 5th. Many of the leaders after the Downhill portion...DNF

Old 02-21-2010, 05:20 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I am not trying to open a can of worms here, but this is just what I felt. I looked him up and found out he was the first African-American to win the gold medal for an individual winter olympics event(he did it in 2006). His achievement of a gold medal in the 2010 Winter Olympics was like ,well, I can't describe it. I felt something I don't always feel. A feeling of something to be proud of that day, something in my lit up.
I would agree he is a good role model. He gets the job done and doesn't worry about it.
So am you ok with his silver in the 1500? I am. What a classy classy athlete. Definitely a fan.

So, here's the bad news. I didn't get to watch the race live, although my SO did.

The reason: a friend came by with her new XC skis. She wanted help setting them up and then we headed out for a little impromptu, night-time ski session. It was pretty cool. I guess what I discoverd about myself is that if I have a choice between watching sports and doing sports, doing wins everytime.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,355,516 times
Sorry if this is a silly question, but what are the blue lines in the skiing/snowboarding trails?

Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 PM

73,267 posts, read 63,171,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
So am you ok with his silver in the 1500? I am. What a classy classy athlete. Definitely a fan.

So, here's the bad news. I didn't get to watch the race live, although my SO did.

The reason: a friend came by with her new XC skis. She wanted help setting them up and then we headed out for a little impromptu, night-time ski session. It was pretty cool. I guess what I discoverd about myself is that if I have a choice between watching sports and doing sports, doing wins everytime.
I didn't know he got silver in the 1500. It was the 1000 I paid attention to. I want to see him do more. I am not thrilled about the silver, but the fact that he is in the winter olympics is kind of like a hopeful thing for me.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:35 AM

48 posts, read 101,928 times
I love short track racing. Waaay too fun, it's crazy. But I'm getting tired of Ohno holding up his fingers to remind us how many medals he won. We know. NBC reminds us how historic that is every 5 minutes. It would seem more of an appropriate celebration if he had won, but getting bronze isn't that exciting for me. I can't wait for the relay finals' that seems waaay tooo fun and it would be cool if USA actually won a gold medal.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:57 AM

40,048 posts, read 34,750,991 times
Once upon a time, the Olympics were actually about sports. Then television got involved. Now it's an open contest with "medal standings" (that's not supposed to matter!) And we don't even have to get into a discussion about all the so-called Olympic sports that have been created for television. Synchronized swimming in the summer games, for instance. The Olympic standard was supposed to be participation by 39 nations. I challenge anyone to name the 39 nations where synchronized swimming is a participation sport. Or that figure dancing nonsense on ice skates.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:42 AM

48 posts, read 101,928 times
I agree with the above sentiments. There are only a handful of very wealthy countries that are able to even participate in Olympic sports. The top medals are going to only a handful of the same countries every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports