Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 03:54 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,467,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
I just watched Tyson Gay in his Olympic run. He didn't make the final but he was very gracious. He seems to have a great attitude and sets a great example for the kids. There are other athletes that seem to exude such wonderful spirit, like Dara Torres. Both are a joy to hear and watch. Are there others you all think show exemplary character?
Well, I can appreciate that he didn't act like an ignoramus like previous American sprinters, prancing around like a bunch of monkeys, celbrating ignorance. He was gracious in defeat.

But too gracious? I got the impression BEFORE he ran that he was in awe of Bolt and that he didn't feel he had any chance of winning. The man was beaten before the race. He knew it. Bolt knew it. So Gay didn't try, almost seemed to avoid, making the final and displaying to the world the inevitable..that Bolt would annihilate him.

So I question his intensity and fighting spirit. A real champion would've seen the hurdle in front of him and worked harder, much harder to overcome it. Bolt worked incredibly hard to make this all seem easy. Gay should've done the same. As Ali used to say, the actual fight was the easy part. The toughest fight is in the gym..with yourself. Gay should've overcome himself to stand up to Bolt..who certainly isn't invincible.

Bolt displayed more character despite the youthful antics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 04:02 PM

743 posts, read 2,075,839 times
Bolt did not have a nagging hamstring injury.

Old 08-20-2008, 05:26 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,967,512 times
Someone who showed bad character is Bolt's teammate, Asafa Powell. He was obviously pissed that he didn't get a medal in the 100m sprint, but I didn't see him congratulate Bolt.

I miss Lola.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:48 AM

318 posts, read 936,007 times
Well another bad day for Tyson Gay in the 100m relay his team mate dropped the baton to get them disqualified and he didn't look happy. To make things worse the women's 100m did the same dropping the baton its just not been a good Olympics for the US track athletes in Beijing.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Wow, USA is not even qualifying for the relay sprints (men's or women's)? Yikes! I agree that USA is having a horrible time in T&F this Olympics. They'll have sort out lots of problems if they want to shine in London. Looks like Jamaica is the new super power in T&F, much like USA (mostly Phelps) is in swimming and China is for diving.

Heck, we can't even say USA is a super power in softball anymore.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Lolo Jones ... sorry, I couldn't help it.

Wow thanks for that she looks gorgeous I hope shes ok and not injured after her fall Lolo im ur no1 fan lol

Old 08-22-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2theUS View Post
Wow thanks for that she looks gorgeous I hope shes ok and not injured after her fall Lolo im ur no1 fan lol
Sorry, I'm her #1 fan. You could be #2.

She didn't fall - she just clipped the 9th hurdle and stumbled to the finish line. But that clip cost her not only a gold medal but any colored medal. What a shame. She's 26 right now, so maybe she might still be in peak form at age 30 to compete in the next Olympics in London, but it's doubtful.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Sorry, I'm her #1 fan. You could be #2.

She didn't fall - she just clipped the 9th hurdle and stumbled to the finish line. But that clip cost her not only a gold medal but any colored medal. What a shame. She's 26 right now, so maybe she might still be in peak form at age 30 to compete in the next Olympics in London, but it's doubtful.
Well I will fight you for the no1 spot then yea I saw the race she was way in front and was gutted she hit the hurdle but I'm just hoping she didn't sustain any injuries from it. Well I hope she is at the champs next year and see her take the Gold.

Old 08-22-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2theUS View Post
Well I will fight you for the no1 spot then yea I saw the race she was way in front and was gutted she hit the hurdle but I'm just hoping she didn't sustain any injuries from it. Well I hope she is at the champs next year and see her take the Gold.
Bring it on! Yeah, she can still compete at the World Championships, but they're not in the same league as the Olympics. : \

Old 08-22-2008, 03:43 PM

17,765 posts, read 39,861,819 times
Tyson Gay had to know that his hammy wouldn't be well enough to compete in the 100m ... I couldn't believe he was on the track for the failed 400m relay ... his hand was crooked for the handoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports