Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:40 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times

Advertisements

This sport has been mentioned a few times in the MLS thread, and I think it deserves its own post ... especially so things don't go off-topic over there.

For any Americans who find soccer too dull, you'd probably love this sport. There's a high level of intensity, pretty much consistently throughout the game. Teams can score in two ways -- either by kicking the ball into the net (3 points) or kicking it between the goalposts that extend above the net (1 point). In the few matches I've seen, there aren't a lot of goals (there's still a goaltender), but there are quite a few single points scored. It's a little bit like Aussie rules football, if you've ever seen that (and if you haven't, you are seriously missing out!). Also, much more physical contact is allowed in Gaelic than in soccer, and the ball can be handled and carried with the hands, although it has to be bounced on the ground or kicked to oneself every four steps, and the ball can't be thrown with the hands -- only punched out, kind of like when you serve a volleyball underhanded. Plus, there's no offside rule like in soccer.

I don't think many Americans are familiar with this game, so I figured I'd try to raise some awareness of it here ... and also give fans of the game a place to talk about it.

You can get started here:

YouTube - What is Gaelic Football? (part 1 of 3)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
You rock!! Thanks for starting this one! I totally agree that for folks like me who have some tiny level of ability of appreciate aspects of soccer and yet find it overall an uninspiring sport, Gaelic football is a fabulous alternative! Much more physical contact is allowed than in soccer.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
You rock!! Thanks for starting this one! I totally agree that for folks like me who have some tiny level of ability of appreciate aspects of soccer and yet find it overall an uninspiring sport, Gaelic football is a fabulous alternative! Much more physical contact is allowed than in soccer.
Haha! Thanks for the kudos. If I were at all athletically inclined, I'd love playing either this game or rugby. All due respect to soccer and its fans, but as I was watching a Gaelic match a few nights ago on TV, I turned to my wife and said, "This is the way soccer should be played!" I'm hooked ... I just wish there were more games available to watch in the U.S.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 AM

You should give it a try anyway! While I like to watch rugby, it's a total cult. Once you get in you'll get brainwashed into thinking every other sport is trash so don't try to play it, we don't want to lose a Gaelic and hockey fan to those guys. Gaelic is much safer but you still get to hit people! I know several of the guys there with the DC Gaels. The guy who runs it is a Kerry man, very knowledgeable and welcoming of new players. They're about half Irish and half American or so. Even if you're not athletically gifted enough to become a star it's one heckuva workout and a great complement to a healthy lifestyle. One of the great things about that area is you have 3 clubs right there within an hour of each other so you don't have to travel hundreds of miles to play like we do out here.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:04 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Quote:
.......we don't want to lose a Gaelic and hockey fan to those guys.
OMG! We agree on something?!?!?!?! Well, there's hope for you yet! From one of your favorite Red Wings fans! I'm ducking and heading for cover!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
OMG! We agree on something?!?!?!?! Well, there's hope for you yet! From one of your favorite Red Wings fans! I'm ducking and heading for cover!
LMAO!! Hey we hockey fans may talk a lot of trash and fight amongst ourselves but when the chips start to fall, we all drop the gloves together. I'd bet even a Hawks fan would drop 'em side by side with a Wings fan to defend our sport against any and all outside detractors!

The Gaelic community is the same way. We're so small we have to defend each and every club and player like they're our own flesh and blood!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:36 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,111 times
Now you are preaching to the choir! My Irish siblings and I squabble amongst ourselves, but just let an outsider make a disparging remark and we become the original shock and awe!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:42 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
You should give it a try anyway! While I like to watch rugby, it's a total cult. Once you get in you'll get brainwashed into thinking every other sport is trash so don't try to play it, we don't want to lose a Gaelic and hockey fan to those guys.
I must be the exception to your rule. I've played a good bit of rugby and think Gaelic football is a great sport and fun to watch. I would like to see it get more coverage.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I must be the exception to your rule. I've played a good bit of rugby and think Gaelic football is a great sport and fun to watch. I would like to see it get more coverage.
Could also just be the rugby clubs I've had loose association with, there's only a handful. They've all been sports snobs and at the mention of anything besides rugby they put their noses up high enough to drown in a rainstorm.

Again, I love rugby and I've given it a try but the attitudes of the guys I've met coupled with the fact I don't like broken ribs or concussions makes it not for me. In Gaelic football I usually have a lot more space to work with or at least I have the chance to manufacture that space before I get the ball. Plus I just don't have the explosive footspeed to be a good back in rugby to break the line.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
While I like to watch rugby, it's a total cult. Once you get in you'll get brainwashed into thinking every other sport is trash so don't try to play it, we don't want to lose a Gaelic and hockey fan to those guys.
LOL! Don't worry, I won't let it happen. Besides, full disclosure: I'm a football fan, first and foremost. As in American gridiron football. I was always a casual hockey fan in the past ... being a Michigan native, I started watching hockey when the Wings started winning in the '90s. Then I met my wife, who is a Wings FANATIC! She has roped me in. Football is still my #1 sport, but these days I'm much more than just a casual fan. I'm really into it now. My big three sports these days are football, hockey, and rugby, with Gaelic and Aussie Rules fighting it out for 4th and 5th place. Hurling and lacrosse duke it out after that ...

I saw something about the DC Gaels on the morning news a while back. Who knows ... if they didn't want me as a player, maybe they need referees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports