Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2022, 11:26 AM

6,407 posts, read 9,004,494 times

Advertisements

Phenomenal athlete. Better football than baseball player but when he delivered in the latter he delivered in a big way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2022, 10:06 PM

10,356 posts, read 6,908,705 times
The guy had a RIFLE for an arm...

Dave Winfield is another guy that had a RIFLE.

Not many others...(maybe Mahomes, not sure.)

Old 09-07-2022, 11:10 PM

3,853 posts, read 4,455,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Here's the thing.. While I agree it was a long shot for him to make the HoF in baseball.. he likely, had he focused on baseball, has a 10-15 year career and makes very good money.

His injury was.. Really more a birth defect kinda situation. If he hadn't been an athlete, he probably makes it to 70 years old before needing a hip replacement. Just playing baseball.. Again, probably shaves a few years off that, but he makes it through his career.

Football.. While partially it was a 'freak' injury, it also was far more apt to happen playing football. So..

Different ways of looking at the same thing. Just how much hindsight you apply. looking back on it now, would have been better if he focused on baseball. But.. He wouldn't be "Bo" if he had done that.
Yeah it’s the weird dilemma when talking about Bo. Had he focused on just one sport (either one really), he would have been good enough to have a productive 10-15 year career at worst (in baseball) or a potentially HOF career (in football), but then his overall fame and popularity wouldn’t have been as great as it was since he would have lost fans from whichever sport he didn’t play. He needed to play both to be Bo, which sadly meant not being good enough or productive enough for either sport.

I did see an article where he said had he known what was going to happen he would have given up football to preserve his baseball career.

Old 09-10-2022, 08:54 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,779,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Uh.... seriously?
Bo had the personality to back it up whereas Michael seemed more dry, especially in commercials.
I remember those days pretty well. Bo was probably a more popular figure at his peak, but Micheal pulled away after several championships and a long career.
Being more of a baseball fan, a Royals fan at that, I always wished he'd just been a baseball player.

Old 09-10-2022, 02:52 PM

6,595 posts, read 11,312,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Bo had the personality to back it up whereas Michael seemed more dry, especially in commercials.
I remember those days pretty well. Bo was probably a more popular figure at his peak, but Micheal pulled away after several championships and a long career.
Being more of a baseball fan, a Royals fan at that, I always wished he'd just been a baseball player.
A more popular figure in what sense? Baseball? KC fans? Raiders Fans?

MJ was a global icon (and really, still is). He was considered one of the most recognizable people on the planet. We're talking like, Pope famous.

Old 09-10-2022, 10:26 PM

12,407 posts, read 8,192,347 times
Quote:

MJ was a global icon (and really, still is). He was considered one of the most recognizable people on the planet. We're talking like, Pope famous.
While Michael Jordan had a NCAA championship and the shoe line Bo Jackson's peak along with his shoe ad campaign came before Michael Jordan surpassed the previous generation of NBA stars

Old 09-14-2022, 04:08 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,779,359 times
Quote:

A very well-known figure at his peak, at the very least on par with Jordan, but faded quickly after the injury. Micheal ultimately hung around much longer and enjoyed more success via championships.

Bo was extremely popular for a brief time even though he never played in the really big games.
He was really good at the two biggest sports at the time. All-Star good. Bo was great for highlight reels.
Also, the Raiders are one of those perennial bandwagon teams with fans all over for some reason, and the Royals were not the second-rate AAAA squad they've been for the most part since Kauffman died in 1993.
That plus Nike=plenty of media exposure and he was good at working it.

Had Bo Jackson played longer and ended up making some big plays in championship games, then maybe he gets put up there with the likes of Micheal Jordan. But we'll never know.

Old 09-15-2022, 07:22 AM

93,691 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Very, very good and had very good speed for his size.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RjFR-3GTRU

Old 09-15-2022, 07:41 AM

12,407 posts, read 8,192,347 times
I only knew Gale Sayers from the TV movie Brian's Song as he retired just before I started watching/remembering sports, but I can look back on his injury shortened Hall of Fame career. And when he got hurt I wondered what if Bo Jackson's injury came two years later. Or if NCAA achievements were added in like in the Basketball Hall of Fame, as opposed to a NBA Hall of Fame, when looking at Bill Walton he did most of his qualifying at UCLA instead of flashes between injuries at Portland and Boston.

Old 09-15-2022, 01:39 PM

6,595 posts, read 11,312,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
While Michael Jordan had a NCAA championship and the shoe line Bo Jackson's peak along with his shoe ad campaign came before Michael Jordan surpassed the previous generation of NBA stars
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
A very well-known figure at his peak, at the very least on par with Jordan, but faded quickly after the injury. Micheal ultimately hung around much longer and enjoyed more success via championships.

Bo was extremely popular for a brief time even though he never played in the really big games.
He was really good at the two biggest sports at the time. All-Star good. Bo was great for highlight reels.
Also, the Raiders are one of those perennial bandwagon teams with fans all over for some reason, and the Royals were not the second-rate AAAA squad they've been for the most part since Kauffman died in 1993.
That plus Nike=plenty of media exposure and he was good at working it.

Had Bo Jackson played longer and ended up making some big plays in championship games, then maybe he gets put up there with the likes of Micheal Jordan. But we'll never know.
I'm not arguing that he wasn't popular. Hell, I had his poster on the wall of my dorm. Nor am I arguing the iconic status he has, etc.

I'm simply not agreeing to the comment that he was better marketed than MJ. Even before his career peak, MJ was already an icon in the late 80's. Ironically, MJ was probably the reason Nike was even around to do Bo Knows commercials. Imagine if Adidas didn't pass on MJ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports