Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 05:45 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,950,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate67 View Post
All the more reason for them to play their games then.

One more time, athletes are not special. Play your games, entertain the fans, and ****.
Well until you're the one writing the checks to pay them, it really doesn't matter what you think.
SOMEONE is willing to pay top athletes the mega bucks cause they know the athletes can generate enough revenue to cover their salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 08:02 PM

3,774 posts, read 4,120,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
So when did Jim Brown play?
from 1957 until 1965

Old 08-31-2020, 05:50 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,040,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Well until you're the one writing the checks to pay them, it really doesn't matter what you think.
SOMEONE is willing to pay top athletes the mega bucks cause they know the athletes can generate enough revenue to cover their salary.
I'm aware.

And that SOMEONE is a businessman who is also depending on those ticket sales to make money. No ticket sales because no athletes are playing = no money. Ergo, if his "employees" are not doing their job, then.. Why are they there again?

Like I was explaining earlier, same rules apply to your job, my job, and 300 million other jobs.

Wait and see.. the team owners will support this bull**** for a while because it makes for good virtue signaling PR. But money talks and bull**** walks 24/7.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:20 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,078,241 times
Bottom line is players are talking themselves out of jobs, as former fans continue to tune out/revenues decline.
Considering PE has all but been eliminated in schools due to lack of interest and covid restrictions, it's difficult to foresee professional sports making any comeback.
Even prior to the mess, the games themselves in both the NFL and NBA have become shells of their former glory days; when more contact was allowed.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:17 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,717,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Bottom line is players are talking themselves out of jobs, as former fans continue to tune out/revenues decline.
Considering PE has all but been eliminated in schools due to lack of interest and covid restrictions, it's difficult to foresee professional sports making any comeback.
Even prior to the mess, the games themselves in both the NFL and NBA have become shells of their former glory days; when more contact was allowed.
Agreed 100%...And the Older I get. the less attached to MOST PRO Sports that I become, friends in my age bracket, also fed up with all the BS, are fast walking away from the Circuses that surround The Prima Donnas !!!.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:33 AM

25,930 posts, read 12,951,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
i know quite a few people who stepped away from sports recently and don’t miss it.
I've written off the NBA completely. They won't miss me, I wasn't a season ticket holder, just caught a game now & then, and watched some playoff games on TV...no more. NBA is gone forever in my world.

NFL is next on my list. I probably wont watch any games until the kneeling stops 100%. I dont want to look at that.

MLB will be next.

NCAA Football SEC will be my last sport to dump.

I've been slowly backing away from sports since the Kapernick kneeling stuff began.

It doesnt belong in sports, or entertainiment. I get freedom of speech, and they are free to continue, but I do not have to watch it.

I will never buy anything Nike ever again either.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:53 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,310,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Give examples of "revenues declining" other then due to Covid? Kneeling in the NFL started in 2016, but yet each year between 2015 through 2019 the league saw an increase in revenue.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:02 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,078,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Agreed 100%...And the Older I get. the less attached to MOST PRO Sports that I become, friends in my age bracket, also fed up with all the BS, are fast walking away from the Circuses that surround The Prima Donnas !!!.

It used to be fun, therein lies the problem.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:03 AM

609 posts, read 351,545 times
COVID has taught me that I can live without sports. I am a cardio lover so being able to play my sports without viewer distractions has been easy so far. I have not missed NBA, NHL or MLB at all. Lets see how I do during the winter months when my favorite sport football is fully active.

Last edited by _jbub88_; 08-31-2020 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: because

Old 08-31-2020, 11:18 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,914,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Pro Sports are DEAD !!!! I agree, SPECIALLY in this Country of Ours .... Full of Millionaire Team Owners that couldn't care less for the Fans and or the Cities they represent.
I've played fantasy football for years (usually two leagues, sometimes three). Never again, unless this BLM BS ceases...which it won't. So GOOD RIDDANCE NFL! (also NBA, which I never watched anyway, MLB, NHL, MLS, US Women's and Men's soccer, and whatever sport/league where politics takes precedence over entertainment! I did the same thing YEARS ago with the Oscars, Emmys, etc. and haven't gone back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports