Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 06:33 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times

Advertisements

PRO TEAMS: Baseball, Minnesota Twins
Football, Minnesota Vikings. Also, I root for the Chiefs unless they're playing my Vikes.
Basketball, Don't follow any. I used to be a Celtics fan in a previous life. NBA bores me.
Hockey, Don't follow any. Try to follow the Wild a little. Don't really know the rules to well.

COLLEGE TEAMS:
U. of South Dakota - 1st (Mid-major program who plays well & often beats the biggees.)
Iowa Hawkeyes - 2nd
Nebraska Cornhuskers - 3rd (I know they're a rival to Iowa, but still like them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2020, 10:52 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,654,628 times
1. Where are you from? Virginia
2. Which teams do you support?
MLB - Tampa Bay Rays
NHL - Tampa Bay Lightning
NBA - Portland Trailblazers/Charlotte Hornets (For the most part; I think I have stronger teams I dislike)
NFL - New York Giants
NCAA - Virginia; Virginia Tech; any Virginia school really
3. Do you support different teams than most people where your from? Yes, definitely pro-wise

Old 05-16-2020, 08:11 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,371 times
1. Where are you from? Atlanta, GA
MLB: Atlanta Braves (hometeam) Boston Red Sox (AL team).
NHL: don't have a team but The Ducks due to the Mighty Ducks movie.
NBA: ATL Hawks ( I'm cheating on them by giving Milwaukee more attention right now because of Giannis).
NFL: Falcons
NCAA: G Tech (Hometeam), UVA and UMD.
3. Do you support different teams than most people where your from?

Old 05-17-2020, 11:21 AM

484 posts, read 467,241 times
Reynoldsburg, Ohio, a suburb of Columbus.

MLB: Chicago Cubs
NHL: Columbus Blue Jackets and Chicago Blackhawks
NBA: Chicago Bulls if any, but I really don't follow the NBA much anymore.
NFL: Cincinnati Bengals and Chicago Bears
College: Ohio State

My maternal grandfather was from Chicago and passed that fandom down to his kids, who largely passed it down to theirs. The fact that I grew up in an era when virtually every Cubs game was on WGN and I could easily follow other Chicago sports that way cemented the other fandoms.
I root for the Bengals because when I was a kid, our family went to tons of Reds games. Despite my father being a Browns fan, it only made sense to me to root for the team that played its home games in the same stadium as the Reds, who I also rooted for well into my 20s. Ultimately, my dad largely giving up baseball after the strike combined with a much more emotional pull toward the Cubs took me in that direction permanently.

- Do you support different teams than most people where your from?
Obviously somewhat yes, somewhat no. OSU is king in virtually the entire state. Bengals are the No. 2 NFL team behind the Browns in Columbus. And my initial dislike of the Browns as a kid spread to the Indians and Cavaliers and I do not root for Cleveland teams at all (plus, I find much of their fan base disproportionately loud and obnoxious for what their teams have accomplished over the years).

Old 05-17-2020, 09:38 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,238,998 times
From North Carolina:

NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
MLB: Atlanta Braves
NFL: Varies but I'll say Panthers for the sake of argument
NBA: Dallas Mavericks and sometimes the Hornets
MLS: Whatever the new team in Charlotte will be

NCAA: Duke and NC State as family is grads of both, I've also got Wake Forest family ties but I rarely cheer for them.

I support other teams in various circumstances. For example when the Hurricanes were in the playoff race last season I was cheering for the teams playing Montreal and Columbus as those two teams were also in the fight for the last two playoff spots. Speaking of the NHL, I also tend to root for the other Sunbelt teams in the NHL (Predators, Lightning, Panthers, Stars, Coyotes etc.) as long as it doesn't interfere with my own team.

The NHL is the only thing I follow with a passion these days. Football (both college and pro) is getting kind of stale for me and I can't stand the replays and tv timeouts every 3 minutes. Basketball is fun to play but similarly to football, it can take forever to finish a game and the NBA just isn't a lot of fun anymore for me. Baseball is 162 games a year, that's a lot for the casual fan.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:09 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,883 times
1. Where are you from? Apex, NC

NFL: New Orleans Saints & Arizona Cardinals
NHL: STL Blues
NBA: None
MLB: STL Cardinals
MLS: Will root for the future STL team

3. I’m originally from the STL area, so I am still a diehard Cards and Blues fan. I also pull for the Canes because they’re local and I like to attend games when I can.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:30 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
1. Where are you from? Apex, NC

NFL: New Orleans Saints & Arizona Cardinals
NHL: STL Blues
NBA: None
MLB: STL Cardinals
MLS: Will root for the future STL team

3. I’m originally from the STL area, so I am still a diehard Cards and Blues fan. I also pull for the Canes because they’re local and I like to attend games when I can.
I bet losing the Rams was hard?

Old 05-21-2020, 07:44 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,068,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I bet losing the Rams was hard?
Awful. Was an inaugural season ticket holder with my friends. In the entire time they were in STL, I missed only a handful of games. We tailgated every Sunday...toward the end that was the only real highlight. The team was atrocious. Still, I’m happy to have witnessed a Super Bowl winner. Not everyone gets to say that. The memories of the GSoT will last a lifetime.

After they moved I tried to give up on the NFL for a year, but eventually came back for the camaraderie with my friends across the country. Now I pull for the Saints mainly because of Brees, and the AZ Cardinals because of Larry Fitzgerald and they have more to do with the great STL players (Warner, Aeneas Williams, Dierdorf, Larry Wilson) than what’s out in LA now. The Rams are dead to me. I hope Kroenke chokes to death on his toupee.

Old 05-21-2020, 07:05 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Awful. Was an inaugural season ticket holder with my friends. In the entire time they were in STL, I missed only a handful of games. We tailgated every Sunday...toward the end that was the only real highlight. The team was atrocious. Still, I’m happy to have witnessed a Super Bowl winner. Not everyone gets to say that. The memories of the GSoT will last a lifetime.

After they moved I tried to give up on the NFL for a year, but eventually came back for the camaraderie with my friends across the country. Now I pull for the Saints mainly because of Brees, and the AZ Cardinals because of Larry Fitzgerald and they have more to do with the great STL players (Warner, Aeneas Williams, Dierdorf, Larry Wilson) than what’s out in LA now. The Rams are dead to me. I hope Kroenke chokes to death on his toupee.
lol. I remember TWAs old STL Rams plane. I was young, but it was really cool to see it. STL Rams still have a place in my heart since I grew up in a TWA Household.

Old 05-22-2020, 09:00 PM

597 posts, read 448,836 times

NBA: Charlotte Hornets
NFL: Carolina Panthers
NHL: Carolina Hurricanes
MLB: Pittsburgh Pirates

I root for the Pirates now due to the fact that their Single A Affiliate is here in Greensboro beginning last season. Before that I rooted for the Marlins. The Marlins had some really good talent play here... Christian Yellich, Mike Stanton, Marcell Ozuna, JT Realmuto, and the late Jose Fernandez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports