Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 06:55 AM

178 posts, read 104,123 times

Advertisements

1. Oldham, UK

I'll post the teams I support for the sports I'm interested in:

NFL - Dolphins
NHL - Leafs
RFL - Oldham
NRL - Melbourne Storm
Speedway - Belle Vue Aces
Cricket - Lancashire (of course!)
Cycling - Movistar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 05:29 PM

339 posts, read 148,256 times
1. Where are you from? Southern California

2. Which teams do you support?

NFL: Denver Broncos (While I was growing up it was the Rams and Raiders but they left for greener pastures. So I chose the Broncos to be my team. So I am no turncoat.) New Orleans Saints are the back-up since I loved Drew Brees on the Chargers, even if I hate the Chargers!

NHL: Vegas Golden Knights (Never really watched hockey growing up until the Great One came over to the Kings.)

NBA: LA Lakers (never wavered, always true, even in the less successful years)

MLB: Dodgers & Angels (always my favorite teams, always) However, my Dad is from NY so I root for the Yanks when my teams are not in the running.

NCAAF: Boise State, LSU, Alabama (University is different because my Mom grew up in the South and she loves Alabama, LSU and Notre Dame so its usually who I wind up seeing on Saturdays.) Boise State is a trip with the blue field, love that. Their team is always interesting to watch.

Last edited by FierceKaia; 09-21-2020 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: spacing

Old 09-22-2020, 10:57 AM

317 posts, read 238,994 times
SMU and AAC

Old 05-26-2021, 10:14 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceKaia View Post
1. Where are you from? Southern California

2. Which teams do you support?

NFL: Denver Broncos (While I was growing up it was the Rams and Raiders but they left for greener pastures. So I chose the Broncos to be my team. So I am no turncoat.) New Orleans Saints are the back-up since I loved Drew Brees on the Chargers, even if I hate the Chargers!

NHL: Vegas Golden Knights (Never really watched hockey growing up until the Great One came over to the Kings.)

NBA: LA Lakers (never wavered, always true, even in the less successful years)

MLB: Dodgers & Angels (always my favorite teams, always) However, my Dad is from NY so I root for the Yanks when my teams are not in the running.

NCAAF: Boise State, LSU, Alabama (University is different because my Mom grew up in the South and she loves Alabama, LSU and Notre Dame so its usually who I wind up seeing on Saturdays.) Boise State is a trip with the blue field, love that. Their team is always interesting to watch.
Oh how the tables have turned on the Rams.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:20 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Team Biden all the way !!!!!!!

PRO Sports in N America are for Rich Owners and no one else
Dude, it’s even worse in the rest of the world especially Europe. At least most North American sports have some form of salary control. Oil money bought the EPL championship and probably the Champions League this year.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:13 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Dude, it’s even worse in the rest of the world especially Europe. At least most North American sports have some form of salary control. Oil money bought the EPL championship and probably the Champions League this year.
'Money' has always 'bought' the Premier League, the Champions League and every other 'league' in Europe................ luckily though there is pro/rel in place which means you rise or fall based on sporting merit and once you get into the Premier League, no matter who you are, you have money, and LOTS of it!
Ultimately though you 'win' the trophies by winning football matches, you win those matches by having a better team than your rivals, how you get that team is ultimately down to good management more than anything.

The love of my life just won its second European Champions league on Saturday.........I've only just sobered up!

Old 06-02-2021, 07:02 AM

33,341 posts, read 12,491,270 times

The SF Bay Area

Teams:

The same 6 teams in the three major sports for over 50 years.....the 5 Bay Area teams (49ers, Giants, Raiders, A’s, Warriors) + the Lakers.

I also have soft spots for other teams based on where I’ve lived, and a few other reasons.....

Chargers: dated the daughter in a Charger season ticket holding family for years, and I’ve been to even more Chargers home games than 49ers or Raiders home games.

Chiefs: A friend of mine is in the Chiefs HOF.

Mets: Friendship with the Harrelson family.

I hated the Dodgers until the O’Malley family sold them.

I hated the Rams during all of the Frontiere era.

I don’t like the Pats because of Belichick and, previously, because of Brady.

I can’t stand the Yankees, mostly because of Steinbrenner, but also because of victories over the A’s in the playoffs.

I wish the arch rivals of some of my teams would never win another game (thinking the Cowboys, but, as a person, I like Jerry. Same with Bob Kraft)

Once my teams have been eliminated, in the NBA and NFL, I base my rooting on how it relates to the pecking order of overall Super Bowl or Finals wins in relation to my teams. For example, even though I have a soft spot for the Chiefs, I rooted for the Bucs because their win was only their second, and a third Chiefs win would have moved them into a tie with the Raiders. I don’t apply the same to MLB because the Yankees are so far ahead of any other team.

NHL: I’m a Golden Knights and Sharks fan.

My dad was a die hard Celtics fan, and I suffered through the 60s with the Celtics beating the Lakers.

Then the Lakers won the championship in the Summer of ‘72 and, including that, my 6 teams have won 31 championships in 49 years (16 NBA titles, 8 Super Bowls, and 7 World Series).

Old 06-02-2021, 10:19 AM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
i only follow ncaa bama sports .. of the 21 sports programs we have 18 this season have competed in championships .. there may be schools with more but we dont do wrastling, mens gymnastics . hockey, lacrosse ( whatever that is ) and a lot of other sports that schools up north do ,

Old 06-02-2021, 11:20 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
I buy tickets for the local minor league team.

Old 06-02-2021, 08:17 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973PINTO View Post
i only follow ncaa bama sports .. of the 21 sports programs we have 18 this season have competed in championships .. there may be schools with more but we dont do wrastling, mens gymnastics . hockey, lacrosse ( whatever that is ) and a lot of other sports that schools up north do ,
bama? What is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports