Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 12:39 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,729,539 times

Advertisements

This thread is about bowling. I couldn't find one in a search, so we can discuss professional bowling as a career, for fun or whatever.

Last year I played with the Los Angeles Clippers for their charity foundation. A team of friends and I bowled with player Corey Maggette and took first place(glass trophy and BINB PSP Silver - avail. only in Japan at the time).
I scored my highest ever, a 180, granted 2 frames I was given a strike, as was everyone else.

Now, nearly a year later, I've gone maybe 5 times bowling. A few months ago I scored a 255, had a 7/ in one frame and a 9/ in another with a XX9 in the 10th.

I've realized not only do I enjoy bowling, I am actually pretty decent for a novice with no training.

We went Saturday night and I scored a 170 on the warmup, a 225, then 200.
On the 225, up until the 4th frame, I was messing around because everyone said I was too good, so my score could have been better. I ended up with 8 strikes I think with the 8th, 9th and all 10 frames being strikes. I had a turkey in the game, and then the XXXXX.

I started thinking, I wonder if I could make money at this. With some classes to learn rules or training. Is there decent money in professional bowling? Decent being 40k/annually.
How can I start to get better? Join a league, or bowl solo and learn from reading? I know an average of 200 isn't great, but the thing is I know I could get better. I don't bowl very often.

Anyone else enjoy bowling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 01:45 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,032,580 times
I dont know how pro this is but Albuquerque is hosting some event that draws like 50 to 60,000 bowlers from around the country,I think its in March or April.

Old 03-10-2008, 01:47 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,729,539 times
That's A LOT of bowlers.
Maybe I should get the free Clippers ball I won drilled for my fingers.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,760,011 times
Bowling seems to be making a come back with the general public recently, which helps get fans to watch the pros.
The big thing now is having luxury bowling lanes/lounges. This has become kinda chic and helps to draw people back to the sport.
Lucky Star upscale, luxury bowling seems to do well in a lot of major cities. In Oklahoma City they opened up a Redpin Bowling Lounge in an entertainment area called Bricktown. Its a lot of fun and I have grown to enjoy it more via a better, more sophisticated experience.
RedPin Restaurant & Bowling Lounge
Or like this monster in Chicago.
.:.:.:. 10 PIN .:.:.:.
Anyway it helps the sport.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:11 PM

18,224 posts, read 25,871,803 times
Even in small towns, alot of the old lanes are getting upgrades like the one in Palmer Lake, Colorado, 20 miles north of Colorado Springs. I used to bowl in a scratch league a couple decades ago, don't bowl much these days as both knees and left hip need to be replaced, but it's still a kick! Happytown, I have friends I'd like to visit in Del City I haven't seen in years, was gonna to visit them next month.I'm stumped on Bricktown; where is it?

Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,082,182 times
You should look into a league where you are at, then bowl in a few tournaments to see how you "stack up". I have been bowling since I was a kid, and avg. 220 in my league. Its the only sport I have not broken any bones, and I am not bad at it either. I'm not good enough to go on tour, but good enough to make it a weekend money maker. Today's bowling balls make the game a bit too easy, thats why it is good to get out to other centers and see all the different lane conditions thats out there. PBA guys don't make very good money, unless they pick up a good contract with a ball company. The average guy out there might make 25-45K, but win a few titles(easier said than done), and who knows what could happen. Those bowlers in Albq. NM are bowling in the Nationals, its held in different spots every year. Alot of times its held in Reno, I'll only bowl in it if its in Vegas. In Vegas, who gives a damn about bowling right? Good luck to yah.........have fun!

Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 PM

1,586 posts, read 6,760,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Even in small towns, alot of the old lanes are getting upgrades like the one in Palmer Lake, Colorado, 20 miles north of Colorado Springs. I used to bowl in a scratch league a couple decades ago, don't bowl much these days as both knees and left hip need to be replaced, but it's still a kick! Happytown, I have friends I'd like to visit in Del City I haven't seen in years, was gonna to visit them next month.I'm stumped on Bricktown; where is it?
Its just east of Downtown across the elevated railroad tracks/depot.
Its the old brick warehouse district/brick roads that were built during the turn of the century for industries ect. Most of the old brick warehouses have been turned into some kind of entertainment venue. Its pretty cool.
It has had a lot of development since the early 90s that include a canal and the Bricktown ballpark ect. ect.. Here is a website...
Bricktown - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Dining, Shopping, Events

Old 03-12-2008, 08:45 AM

18,224 posts, read 25,871,803 times
Thanks for that info Happytown! Will check it out. Patsfan! Whazzup? I think I'm going to give it a shot after joint replacement #1. Vegas! Warm weather, slots, complimentary drinkypoos, ladies. Hmmmm! Vegas is exactly 500 miles from the house. Come on rebate check!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:16 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,082,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Thanks for that info Happytown! Will check it out. Patsfan! Whazzup? I think I'm going to give it a shot after joint replacement #1. Vegas! Warm weather, slots, complimentary drinkypoos, ladies. Hmmmm! Vegas is exactly 500 miles from the house. Come on rebate check!
I like your thinking! One can stimulate more than the economy with that "rebate check" in Vegas. Good luck!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports