Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:24 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,900,651 times

Advertisements

all the sports listed pale in comparison to the decathlon;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decathlon

Quote:
Traditionally, the title of "World's Greatest Athlete" has been given to the man who wins the Olympic decathlon. This began when King Gustav V of Sweden told Jim Thorpe, "You, sir, are the world's greatest athlete" after Thorpe won the decathlon at the Stockholm Olympics in 1912.[2] The current decathlon world record holder is American Ashton Eaton, who scored 9045 points at the 2015 IAAF World Championships.[3]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 11:21 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,998,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Cycling or cross-country skiing. They would crush stick and ball guys.
To take that a step further, triathletes. Upper body strength (swimming), lower body strength (cycling), endurance (running). Decathletes might have the edge here though as someone mentioned.

I think basketball is as much about particular skills as athleticism. It would be interesting to see how an all-star hoops team would do vs an all-star hockey team in a decathalon event.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:17 PM

46 posts, read 45,757 times
I'm going off of major sports

Best endurance: soccer

Best coordination/reflexes: baseball or cricket

Best strength: football or rugby or wrestling or MMA

Best speed: basketball or soccer

Best athleticism: basketball

I'd say if there was to be a sport that best prepares you for every other sport out there it would basketball. Need to be coordinated with hand-eye to shoot and have coordinated legs to play defense (make cuts, quick movements, etc), sprinting up and down the court over and over again for speed, constantly moving on offense and defense for endurance, and there's the strength necessary because contrary to what most people believe, basketball can actually be pretty physical. Obviously not on the scale as football or rugby, but in the paint it can get pretty physical. You can't be extremely skinny and be successful because there are bigger guys that you won't be able to do anything against because of their sheer size on you.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:00 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,309,052 times
No one has mentioned Ice Hockey or Boxing yet. The title of this thread is difficult to answer, since there is no criteria to determine an answer. I would agree with several other posters that Basketball players would be the most versatile at excelling at other sports.
Now one could ask which sport requires the most athleticism? There was a panel of so called experts that ranked each sport, based on 10 different aspects of athleticism. Not saying I am or am not in total agreement, but they ranked Boxing number 1, Ice Hockey number 2.

Which Sport Requires the Most Athleticism - Examined Existence

Old 06-19-2016, 07:47 PM

51 posts, read 31,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
No one has mentioned Ice Hockey or Boxing yet. The title of this thread is difficult to answer, since there is no criteria to determine an answer. I would agree with several other posters that Basketball players would be the most versatile at excelling at other sports.
Now one could ask which sport requires the most athleticism? There was a panel of so called experts that ranked each sport, based on 10 different aspects of athleticism. Not saying I am or am not in total agreement, but they ranked Boxing number 1, Ice Hockey number 2.

Which Sport Requires the Most Athleticism - Examined Existence
That list was a joke, swimming that low? ARE YOU SERIOUS Also, auto racing and skateboarding need to be higher than that like say at least in the 10s. It probably takes more athleticism to grind a rail than it does to kick a soccer ball or manage being in a high speed car than it does to pitch a baseball. What a joke list that was.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:59 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,409,441 times
and no one suggested boxing. hmmmmmm

Old 06-19-2016, 10:53 PM

51 posts, read 31,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop7886 View Post

I'd say if there was to be a sport that best prepares you for every other sport out there it would basketball. Need to be coordinated with hand-eye to shoot and have coordinated legs to play defense (make cuts, quick movements, etc), sprinting up and down the court over and over again for speed, constantly moving on offense and defense for endurance, and there's the strength necessary because contrary to what most people believe, basketball can actually be pretty physical. Obviously not on the scale as football or rugby, but in the paint it can get pretty physical. You can't be extremely skinny and be successful because there are bigger guys that you won't be able to do anything against because of their sheer size on you.
I think you could have lined up auto racing with soccer in the "Best endurance" category.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:11 AM

16,341 posts, read 10,462,058 times
I'm not sure why endurance sports are being discussed. The thread title asks who is the best athlete, not who has the most stamina. And to me it's NBA players. In every other sport big men have limits. Sure Rob Gronkowski is a great athlete for his size but he doesn't come close to the athletism of LeBron James.

While I can see the decathalon argument these are simply jack of all trades guys competing with other jack of all trades. To be pretty good (by world class standards) at 10 different things to me is not as impressive as being 6'9" and making crazy athletic plays the way NBA players make them.

Old 06-20-2016, 09:17 AM

59,302 posts, read 27,467,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey66 View Post
What sport do you think prepares you to be the the most physically and mentally fit for all athletic activity?
A very subjective question. and NOT worth a waste of our time.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:08 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,816,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop7886 View Post

Best endurance is wrestling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports