Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:52 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,293,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Which Quarter Final Match is Most Unpredictable?
On the men's side, the one with Gael Monfils in it. I think Milos Raonic wins relatively easily, but with Monfils almost anything could happen. Djokovic could be in trouble against Nishikori if he plays as poorly as he did against Gilles Simon, and Federer/Berdych should be an interesting match.

On the women's side, the Cinderella vs even bigger Cinderella match (Johanna Konta vs Shuai Zhang, the only two unseeded players left in either the men's or women's singles draws) is the hardest one to predict. Konta has been playing well since the grass court season in 2015 and made the 4th round at the U.S. Open last year before losing to Petra Kvitova. Konta's run will probably allow her to be ranked high enough to be a seeded player at the French Open. By contrast, Zhang had never even won a Grand Slam main draw match prior to this year's Australian Open.

At this point, it would be surprising if the women's final is anything besides Serena Williams/Victoria Azarenka, but we'll see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 01:56 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,621,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
On the men's side, the one with Gael Monfils in it. I think Milos Raonic wins relatively easily, but with Monfils almost anything could happen. Djokovic could be in trouble against Nishikori if he plays as poorly as he did against Gilles Simon, and Federer/Berdych should be an interesting match.
Nobody cares about the women's match until the at least the Semi's.

You think Monfils is a danger to Roanic?

How is Federer/Berdych match interesting? Federer owns Berdych most of the time at a high rate.

I agree that Nishikori proposed a danger to Djokovic as he did in US Open not long ago.

Murray should take care of Ferrer, as Ferrer is a great danger against everyone except the top 8 men.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:43 PM

Berdych has had some big wins against Federer in big tournaments, though obviously Fed has had the upper hand the majority of the time.

Murray is playing great in this tournament, and provided his father-in-law's health isn't a distraction, he should beat Ferrer without too much trouble on hard court.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:57 PM

5,718 posts, read 6,496,005 times
Playing sharapova is such a gimme for Serena. I think it's funny that the media act like it's not because sharapova is hot. For as much as Serena has done in her career, the way the media treat her will always make me cringe.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Playing sharapova is such a gimme for Serena. I think it's funny that the media act like it's not because sharapova is hot. For as much as Serena has done in her career, the way the media treat her will always make me cringe.
Totally, because Serena is so down to earth and has no attitude at all.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
The thing that continues to impress me about Serena Williams is how she steps up her play almost every single time she plays a very good player who has a power game that can beat her if she doesn't bring her "A" game. Serena may have many matches where she loses focus for a period and allows a solid player who lacks a big game to take a set or even beat her, but that pretty much NEVER happens when she plays other top power game players like Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka. (She's also made sure she's locked in when she plays ascending, young power players, like Madison Keys and Garbine Muguruza.) Serena knows she has to play well to beat players like Sharapova and Azarenka and subsequently she's almost always very focused and doesn't lose focus when she plays them.

I'm not a Serena fan, but I will say it does annoy me when Chris Evert often talks about how mentally tough Maria Sharapova is. I totally agree, Sharapova is mentally tough. But Sharapova ranks no higher than #2 among women's players in that department IMO; the most mentally tough player in the women's game over the last 10-15 years has been Serena Williams.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:51 PM

Angelique Kerber posts an impressive straight sets win over Victoria Azarenka, coming back from 2 breaks down and triple set point in the 2nd set, to advance to her first Australian Open semifinal and third Grand Slam semifinal overall. Kerber will play the winner of the Konta/Zhang match in the semifinals.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:19 AM

490 posts, read 686,775 times
2 Brits in the AO semi's. There's a rarity.
Murray has a very tough match vs Raonic who has improved his game a lot. He's no longer just a servbot, he now has the all round game to challenge the top seeds.
Great to see Johanna Konta in the semi's. Win or lose vs Kerber she'll be in the top 30 now.
My final predictions are Djokovic vs Murray & Williams vs Kerber, though I wouldn't be surprised to see Raonic there.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:30 AM

It looks like the future has arrived. Roanic is one of the handful top players 2 years from now.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:09 AM

3,845 posts, read 3,075,937 times
Finals:

Serena Williams vs Angelique Kerber

Novak Djokovic vs Andy Murray

Both Number 1s are raging hot favorites, Serena at $1.14 and Novak at $1.20;

Australian Open 2016 – Betting & Odds | Sportsbet.com.au
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports