Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 12:53 AM

523 posts, read 499,177 times

Advertisements

remember back in the days when sports trading cards used to be the big? you opened a pack of trading cards hoping to find a great superstar like Joe Montana, Reggie Jackson, Magic Johnson, etc. then later the cards would be abused, dropped, ripped to bits, stolen. look at it now, not that many people seem to be interested. it would be great to get back in the habit, this time get serious about it.

whatever major superstar you find, you have to put the card in a plastic case, then sell it or give it to a friends(as a gift). whatever cards that are leftover, you donate to a 'sports card shop' or just keep the rest until its value go up.

best place to find cards would be at walgreens($3.99 starter collector trading cards I think). youll find cards, mostly from the 90s and some from the 80s. also go to goodwill, the worse goodwill in your town is the place to find piles of cards, so get them before the goodwill employees dump them in the trash or a even a careless customer will buy them for his kids to abuse.

youll also find some college football or basketball team trading cards(for example; Duke, Texas, USC, Michigan, ND, etc. those college cards are rare finds. I found a unopened pack of ND football cards(haven't been opened yet) from the walgreens set, I still have it and not ready to sell until its value go up.

so if you have the chance, start up on the trading card collection, save the industry, and please, do care for them just like the lego blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Status: "NFL's Eric Bieniemy psy op has failed..." (set 20 days ago)

3,872 posts, read 2,692,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
Joe Montana, Reggie Jackson, Magic Johnson, etc..
D, yeah.. I think part of cards' demise has to do with contemporary access to information. In the era you reference (early 80s), and earlier, cards were our library of career statistics (printed on the back). Now if you wanna learn about Montana's career stats, instead of having to save up $ and hitch a ride from a parent to go find 'em, you just Google him.

That said, I'm rooting for the industry, even tho I hated all the technological advancements they've added to try & get 'em over, & keep 'em relevant (holograms, etc). Never thought there was anything wrong with just a photo, but..

Something I've always wondered about the era you're alluding to.. U remember sometimes Topps would have these guys pose in plain helmets. Why wouldn't they depict the team logo (?)

Payton missing his 'C'

Old 06-18-2015, 01:46 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,341,260 times
I liked the Billy Ripken "F***face" card.

Old 06-18-2015, 09:47 PM

523 posts, read 499,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
D, yeah.. I think part of cards' demise has to do with contemporary access to information. In the era you reference (early 80s), and earlier, cards were our library of career statistics (printed on the back). Now if you wanna learn about Montana's career stats, instead of having to save up $ and hitch a ride from a parent to go find 'em, you just Google him.

That said, I'm rooting for the industry, even tho I hated all the technological advancements they've added to try & get 'em over, & keep 'em relevant (holograms, etc). Never thought there was anything wrong with just a photo, but..

Something I've always wondered about the era you're alluding to.. U remember sometimes Topps would have these guys pose in plain helmets. Why wouldn't they depict the team logo (?)

Payton missing his 'C'

good question. back in the late 60s and 70s, Topps couldnt afford to borrow the team logo rights from the NFL. u get my drift? theres was a company called "Philadelphia trading card co." that borrow the rights in the mid 60s for a short time.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:02 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,676,121 times
Hmmm... now where did I leave that Honus Wagner?

Old 06-19-2015, 11:08 AM

10,037 posts, read 8,854,709 times
Too many card companies is what ruined the hobby.
It was better when there were just three, Topps,Fleer and donruss.

Old 06-20-2015, 01:38 PM

4,858 posts, read 7,674,951 times
The card companies killed themselves.

Cards, starting in the mid 80's, have no value due to over printing. Today cards come 5 to a pack and cost $3 or more. Kids can't afford to put together a collection.

Old 06-20-2015, 09:51 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,239,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
Too many card companies is what ruined the hobby.
It was better when there were just three, Topps,Fleer and donruss.
It was all they "hyper-special-super-premium" inserts IMHO. The price would spike right after the release and then drop like a rock once the season was over or another premium insert came out. Fancy colors, prints, ect just didn't have any hold on me and I saw where things were headed in 1994. Just how many game used jerseys, bats, balls, pucks were cut up for these things with so few actual superstars doing them? I thought the autographs were fine as it saved the trouble of getting one from the athlete and were certified by the company.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:01 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,734,202 times
I'm a middle-aged guy still totting around cards that I collected while I was a 12 yr old......tempted to toss the cards, but keep totting them around in a box from home to home......not sure what will ever become of them. Hate being a packrat for these things, but I guess I'll hold them for awhile......

Old 06-21-2015, 03:53 PM

14,649 posts, read 21,005,932 times
We have hundreds of mint condition Atlanta Brave cards made by Topps for all of the 1970's and 1980's and can not give them away. Why not sure since those years came before the mass production.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports