Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,945,921 times

Advertisements

Not sure if there's many golf fans out there but wanted to try and start a thread for the PGA Championship. Final major of the season and after Tiger dominated the field this week he'll once again be the favorite to win this week. Below are the odds so far:

ODDS TO WIN 2013 PGA CHAMPIONSHIP
TIGER WOODS 9-2
PHIL MICKELSON 12-1
ADAM SCOTT 15-1
JUSTIN ROSE 20-1
LEE WESTWOOD 25-1
RORY McILROY 25-1
JASON DAY 25-1
BRANDT SNEDEKER 25-1
SERGIO GARCIA 30-1
CHARL SCHWARTZEL 30-1
MATT KUCHAR 30-1
HUNTER MAHAN 40-1
LUKE DONALD 40-1
GRAEME McDOWELL 40-1
DUSTIN JOHNSON 40-1

This weeks tournament is being held at Oak Hills and it's hosting its 3rd PGA. Last two were played in 2003 won by Shaun Micheel and 1980 won by Jack Nicklaus. Lots of great storylines headed into this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 AM

6,604 posts, read 11,358,461 times
Rory at 25-1? Seriously? Is that the odds of him making the cut.....?

Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,217,378 times
Is everyone satisfied with the stroke play format of the PGA Championship? I wish they would return to a match-play format, which ended back in the late 50's. Not sure that the TV people want to risk the potential for a non-marquee match up but I think the PGA Championship has slipped further and further behind the other 3 majors by quite a bit and could use a shot in the arm.

Which Golf Major Is The Most Prestigious? - Forbes

Old 08-05-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Is everyone satisfied with the stroke play format of the PGA Championship? I wish they would return to a match-play format, which ended back in the late 50's. Not sure that the TV people want to risk the potential for a non-marquee match up but I think the PGA Championship has slipped further and further behind the other 3 majors by quite a bit and could use a shot in the arm.

Which Golf Major Is The Most Prestigious? - Forbes

I don't think many people today even remember that the PGA Championship once was a match-play format. As you mentioned though I'm sure one of the big reasons why it's converted to stroke-play is because its more made for not just TV-ratings but also for spectators who pay good money to watch. I don't think I'd have too much interest in spending money on watching a Final with only 2 guys on the course... That's why I'm ok with the fact that they have one WGC event committed to the Match-Play format... at least it wasn't completed 100% eliminated... oh and nothing beats the Ryder Cup which is 100% match-play but it's "made for tv" because it's USA vs. Europe and you have multiple matches going on every day.

So... the PGA Championship is just fine the way it is... besides I could be wrong but I think it always has one of the strongest fields of all the majors, but I could be wrong on that one?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
I don't think many people today even remember that the PGA Championship once was a match-play format. As you mentioned though I'm sure one of the big reasons why it's converted to stroke-play is because its more made for not just TV-ratings but also for spectators who pay good money to watch. I don't think I'd have too much interest in spending money on watching a Final with only 2 guys on the course... That's why I'm ok with the fact that they have one WGC event committed to the Match-Play format... at least it wasn't completed 100% eliminated... oh and nothing beats the Ryder Cup which is 100% match-play but it's "made for tv" because it's USA vs. Europe and you have multiple matches going on every day.

So... the PGA Championship is just fine the way it is... besides I could be wrong but I think it always has one of the strongest fields of all the majors, but I could be wrong on that one?
Technically - the Players has the strongest field since its only open to touring pros. The PGA may in theory make that claim since there are no amateurs (the other three do make room for amateurs). But it does include club pros... who I don't think are as strong as the younger amateurs that are on their way to the tour.

I think match play is a great format... as a participant. Not sure its that suitable for TV. I certainly enjoy the USGA Am Champ and the WGC, but part of that is because the format is somewhat unique to the stroke play norm. But even the WGC gets old towards the end when there seem to be more commercials than actual play.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:04 AM

Does anyone play the "Best Ball Majors" on ESPN? How have you been doing this year?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:00 AM

At 8AM EST and it's Round 1 of the PGA Championship

Your current leader.... HIROYUKI FUJITA!

Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 PM

Congrats to Duffner. Hell of a tournament... although it was exciting because you were wondering if the wheels were going to fall off at any moment. But he overcame the loss from 2 years ago...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports