Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:33 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
But the more people play it, the more popular it will become.
It's been around for years especially in college. So is lacrosse; but neither will ever be as big or as widely accepted as the big 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
I don't think it will take off anytime soon (15 years at least), as much talent as the USA have, if they put everything in to it there is no doubt they'd be a world force. But if more grounds like Glendale pop up, then who knows.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It's been around for years especially in college. So is lacrosse; but neither will ever be as big or as widely accepted as the big 4.
Who is saying it is going to be as big as the big 4?! In the UK Football these are the most popular sports -

Sport[ TV Viewing popularity[ Interested In popularity
Association football 46% 45%
Rugby Union 21% 27%
Tennis 18% 23%
Cricket 18% 19%
Athletics 18% 21%
Snooker 17% 24%
Motor racing 16% 20%
Rugby League 12% 15%
Boxing 11% 14%
Golf 11% 16%
Darts 9% NA

Formula1 and Boxing for example are still hugely popular, but there is at least a half dozen more popular sports, so I think rugby can become popular in the US just not as popular as the big 4 or so.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Who is saying it is going to be as big as the big 4?! In the UK Football these are the most popular sports -

Sport[ TV Viewing popularity[ Interested In popularity
Association football 46% 45%
Rugby Union 21% 27%
Tennis 18% 23%
Cricket 18% 19%
Athletics 18% 21%
Snooker 17% 24%
Motor racing 16% 20%
Rugby League 12% 15%
Boxing 11% 14%
Golf 11% 16%
Darts 9% NA

Formula1 and Boxing for example are still hugely popular, but there is at least a half dozen more popular sports, so I think rugby can become popular in the US just not as popular as the big 4 or so.
You folded in your second sentence. In the UK... that said it all. We are in the US. Rugby will not grow much more and it has been like this for years. I wondered the same thing while I was in college and in the Air Force and since then it has only slightly grew in popularity. Your percentages are not valid because they are about international opinions and not from here. Your question was about here. Notice soccer never gained the status that it has everywhere else, even when our olympic teams excel.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:28 PM

521 posts, read 860,039 times
Quote:
Sorry but it hasn't. There might be small areas where it is bigger than others but it hasn't taken off and there wont be a league across the US where players make millions of dollars like in MLB, NFL, NBA, or the NHL.

Can you point out where the OP asked if rugby would ever live up to the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, or the MLS?

The article doesn't even make that stretch.

Did you even read the article? The point of it and the OP was that it's gaining popularity. That's all. Anyone that knows an inkling of sports knows nothing will top the big five (six if you include NASCAR but who in their right mind does).

Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
You folded in your second sentence. In the UK... that said it all. We are in the US. Rugby will not grow much more and it has been like this for years. I wondered the same thing while I was in college and in the Air Force and since then it has only slightly grew in popularity. Your percentages are not valid because they are about international opinions and not from here. Your question was about here. Notice soccer never gained the status that it has everywhere else, even when our olympic teams excel.
I was just using it as an example that a country can have lots of sports that are fairly popular, why can't rugby catch on in the states? In 10 or more years how do you know? If a couple thousand more start playing every month the popularity will rise along with the interest, no one is saying that it will become the next big thing, just saying that it could reach a good level maybe, you never know, mind you it more than likely won't if every American has the same attitude as you were nothing else gets a look in! But I doubt that's the case.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I was just using it as an example that a country can have lots of sports that are fairly popular, why can't rugby catch on in the states? In 10 or more years how do you know? If a couple thousand more start playing every month the popularity will rise along with the interest, no one is saying that it will become the next big thing, just saying that it could reach a good level maybe, you never know, mind you it more than likely won't if every American has the same attitude as you were nothing else gets a look in! But I doubt that's the case.
See, you make a comment about me but don't even know me.I went to college in 89' and the Air force in 92'. It had a following then and looked like it stood a chance to become more but it didn't. I personally like when there are alot of different sports and hoped soccer would take off. Especially when we thrived in the olympics when Meoli was in goal, but it didn't. The american public likes what it likes. I guess I just recognize it when I stand back.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiScree View Post
Can you point out where the OP asked if rugby would ever live up to the NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, or the MLS?

The article doesn't even make that stretch.

Did you even read the article? The point of it and the OP was that it's gaining popularity. That's all. Anyone that knows an inkling of sports knows nothing will top the big five (six if you include NASCAR but who in their right mind does).
The question was can it take off? My answer is no and I went further. In over 20 years of watching its potential and soccer as well, they both have remained close to their past level.
As far as Nascar goes, I don't consider it a sport. It is more like a long endurance test. It does have a large following though.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
See, you make a comment about me but don't even know me.I went to college in 89' and the Air force in 92'. It had a following then and looked like it stood a chance to become more but it didn't. I personally like when there are alot of different sports and hoped soccer would take off. Especially when we thrived in the olympics when Meoli was in goal, but it didn't. The american public likes what it likes. I guess I just recognize it when I stand back.
You were in the air force?! What has that got to do with anything lol I went to college in 2005 and I'm in the British army, royal regiment of Scotland if we are talking education and careers! Soccer has taken off! Soccer was also popular (not hugely) in the states back in the day then went away and now it's back and going from strength to strength, no it isn't as popular as the main sports but I watch the MLS and I am impressed with it for it still being in it's infancy. There's no reason why Rugby can't go the same way, no one is saying it will get anywhere near the same level but it is possible for it to become fairly decent and more popular with time, why not?!

Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 AM

521 posts, read 860,039 times
Since we're sharing, I'm in college now pursuing my PhD in psychology.

Stats don't lie, Paul. The question was, "Could rugby take off..." and according to the article, it is taking off right now.

Plus, how "something takes off" is relative anyways. I think it's fair to say when a sport has had such a significant increase as rugby has, the sport is "taking off".

Semantics suck don't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports