Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 02:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,850,789 times

Advertisements

I'd always heard during his glory years he basically did spend all his money on planes, cars, women, etc...

The article is not completely accurate about the WCW lawsuit over the title belt, what happened was that WCW wanted Flair to return the belt but wanted to keep the 25,000 deposit that Flair had previously been required to put down on it. It was required at the time that the world champion put down a 25k deposit upon winning the belt, presumably to prevent them from taking it to another promotion. If I remember right, they eventually did have to return the money to him. Also, the NWA did not really exist in 1991.

It's sad, and happens to a lot of those guys. When that movie The Wrestler came out the NY Times did a story on Tito Santana, who has proven to be the exception...he's made a smooth transition out of wrestling and is now a teacher. But most don't save their money and try to hang on way too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:40 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,818 times
The Nature Boy is still one of my favorite wrestling personalites. Styling and profiling

Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,270,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_cuyler View Post
But most don't save their money and try to hang on way too long.
Yes sir/ma'am,

We see this in a lot of professions. People just live one day at a time with no care for the future. Ric was deffenetly no exception. He lived life one day at a time spending everything on the typical stuff, women and cars etc. I guess his alter ego wasn't too far from reality.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:42 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,492,660 times
Another sad wrestling story:

The Wrestler: The Scott Hall Story - ESPN Video - ESPN

That is really sad.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:28 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,091,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
The Nature Boy is still one of my favorite wrestling personalites. Styling and profiling
ACCORDING to several other books written by wrestlers, the RIc Flair we see in the ring is basically a slight exageration of Ric Flair in real life. He likes to party and he admitted in his book that he always spent more than he made.

In wresting there is no retirement, pension, and at a certain age, no more work. That is what is catching up with him now.

Whether you like him or you don't like him, you have to love him for what he did for the WCW and the business

Old 10-29-2011, 08:04 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
Ric Flair was great in the 70's, 80's, and even early 90's. He is now a shell of himself. I can't take anything away from his accomplishments but in recent years I have lost respect for him. Personally I think he is a jerk. Surprisingly on a personal level I like Hulk Hogan better. I am more of an old school rassling guy, but history for me has proven Hogan to be decent. Even with his reality show nonsense and his sad family situations, Hogan is a nice guy. I saw him in person at a question and answer session about 3 weeks ago, and I liked the way he came across and addressed the fans. Interviews with Flair that I have recently seen, portray him as an inmature drunken moron!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Ric Flair was great in the 70's, 80's, and even early 90's. He is now a shell of himself. I can't take anything away from his accomplishments but in recent years I have lost respect for him. Personally I think he is a jerk. Surprisingly on a personal level I like Hulk Hogan better. I am more of an old school rassling guy, but history for me has proven Hogan to be decent. Even with his reality show nonsense and his sad family situations, Hogan is a nice guy. I saw him in person at a question and answer session about 3 weeks ago, and I liked the way he came across and addressed the fans. Interviews with Flair that I have recently seen, portray him as an inmature drunken moron!
Well I only ever saw Ric rassle once in person and same for Hogan. My ex and I were walking into a restaurant as he and some guy I did not recognize were coming out ...She said HI and he stopped and talked with her for a few minutes while I went on in....They had met at a bar oddly enough a month or so back and she said he was very friendly both times

I met Hogan after a show a few years before that. He came out afterwards, got in his rental car (with someone else driving) and left. Would not even acknowledge the fans who were trying to talk to him. Basically just ignored everyone and didn't even say goodbye.

I wish I could have gone to the fanfest in Atlanta last August. I wanted to meet Dr D David Schultz and point out that rasslin IS Fake !!!!

J/K

I'd love to hear what Schultz had to say. He was the most under-rated comedian on the show, yet, he will only ever be known for slapping John Stossel.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:43 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I wish I could have gone to the fanfest in Atlanta last August. I wanted to meet Dr D David Schultz and point out that rasslin IS Fake !!!!
Wrestling is about the show and i suppose some may call it fake i prefer to call it choreographed as those guys in the ring are actually doing some very athletic moves and work very hard to make the show entertaining.
Wrestling fake? so is StarTrek.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:05 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,085 times
Underneath the surface of glamour and glitz pro wrestling is very seedy. A majority of these guys have f*cked up lives away from the ring; Ric Flair, Scott Hall, Jake "The Snake" Roberts, to name a few. It's mostly a life of hotels, bars, parties, painkillers, alchohol, and cocaine. Unless you make it to the very top you don't make a huge sum of money either. I can't say I feel a whole lotta of sympathy for Flair either. He obviously can't separate his in ring character from reality. You can't spend more than you make. The article says towards the end of it he spends $4-5,000 a month on traveling and eating out, when you're already broke and owe everyone money! People that don't get it don't get that they don't get it

Old 11-27-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Wrestling is about the show and i suppose some may call it fake i prefer to call it choreographed as those guys in the ring are actually doing some very athletic moves and work very hard to make the show entertaining.
Wrestling fake? so is StarTrek.
The thing about telling Schultz that rasslin is fake was a joke mmmkay?
I don't want to get slapped like John Stossel did

I think Foley brought it up best when he said in his book title that the real world is faker than wrestling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports