Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 02:16 PM

32,181 posts, read 34,862,400 times

Advertisements

Some of the pundits are talking like he is. But he's only 36. Can't you be competitive in golf well into your 40s?

Roger Federer, at the ripe age of 29, is finished, imo. But Tiger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 02:41 PM

78,732 posts, read 60,928,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Some of the pundits are talking like he is. But he's only 36. Can't you be competitive in golf well into your 40s?

Roger Federer, at the ripe age of 29, is finished, imo. But Tiger?
Depends on your definition of "finished".

I think he will still be winning majors a decade from now but it might be years between them instead of months.

Will he ever return to the unprecedented (in the modern era) run he had once upon a time? No.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:43 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,511,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Can't you be competitive in golf well into your 40s?
Well, yes, but being competitive is not on par with the standard that Tiger had set. He dominated the game for a decade, so in that sense he will never be back. Will he continue to tour and put together good rounds? I think the answer to that is an easy yes.

I have no idea how many more majors he will win though, I'd consider taking the under on 2.5 major wins though. Maybe even 1.5.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:13 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,569,347 times
do they test golfers for steroids/hgh/doping ?

b/c Tiger woods is linked, along with A-Rod, with a Canadian doctor who has brought HGH into the country.

Tony Galea, Canadian doctor linked to A-Rod and Tiger Woods, charged with giving HGH to NFL players - New York Daily News

Canadian sports doctor Tony Galea was preparing to travel to Washington, D.C., in September to treat a Redskins player. But the human growth hormone guru's plans -- and possibly the reputations of dozens of professional athletes -- were thrown into turmoil when American border officials stopped the car driven by his assistant at the Peace Bridge border crossing in Buffalo, a stop that resulted in the criminal complaint filed against Galea on Tuesday.
The American authorities who searched the Nissan Rogue driven by Mary Anne Catalano found Actovegin, a derivative of calves' blood that is illegal in the United States and not approved for use in Canada. The Actovegin was intended for the Redskins player and one of his teammates; Catalano was also transporting human growth hormone to a retired NFL player who lives in the Washington area, a source familiar to the investigation told the Daily News.

Those players were cited in the federal criminal complaint filed Tuesday by special agent Justin Burnham of Immigration and Customs Enforcement that alleges that Galea, the Toronto physician who has worked with Alex Rodriguez, Tiger Woods, Carlos Beltran, Jose Reyes and other professional athletes, provided human growth hormone and Actovegin to professional football players.

Tiger Woods' former doctor pleads guilty to steroids charges | Sport | guardian.co.uk

A doctor who helped Tiger Woods recover from a knee injury has pleaded guilty to bringing steroids and other unapproved substances into the United States. Anthony Galea, a Canadian, faces up to three years in prison

Woods was interviewed in connection with the charges against Galea, who treated the golfer following his knee operation in 2008. Woods told a press conference last year that Galea had not given him any performance-enhancing drugs.

does anybody really believe this guy hasn't doped? I remember seeing the massive change in his physique after he had time off.

colin cowheard was talking about this (he was tolerable for a few minuets) this morning, with all the great doctors and medical centers we have why either go to canada or have a canadian treat you (in the US nonetheless where he isn't licensed to practice).

this guy apparently actually made housecalls or would "treat" athletes in hotel rooms. Very shady.

why would tiger woods associate with this guy of all people when he's got 1/2 a billion dollars and could go anywhere and get treated by anyone?

does the PGA test for steroids/HGH etc.???

Old 07-09-2011, 08:35 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,256,919 times
It's not out of the realm of possibility that Tiger Woods is done winning major championships. Arnold Palmer, who won 7 majors (4 Masters, 1 U.S. Open, 2 British Opens) between 1958 and 1964, never won another major after age 34. Tom Watson, who won 8 majors (2 Masters, 1 U.S. Open, 5 British Opens) between 1975 and 1983, never won another major after age 33. We've seen great golfers, guys were THE top player in the sport for a multi-year period, fade quickly, at least in terms of winning majors, after their period of dominance.

One other factor to consider with Tiger Woods, one that always gets overlooked because of his marital problems and physical injuries, is that he failed to hold a multi-shot lead after leading after 3 rounds of the 2009 PGA Championship, failing to score as well as unheralded eventual champion Y.E. Yang. It was the first time Woods failed to win a major after holding the lead after 3 rounds. It's possible that in addition to possibly losing his psychological edge (i.e. intimidating other golfers, which is a big factor with all the talented young golfers that have come on the scene in the last 2-3 years) and possibly losing his physical edge (due to injuries and aging), he may also be losing his mental edge (self-confidence that he will win majors). Only time will tell.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:14 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,572,921 times
You haven't seen the last of Tiger winning another major or several more yet.....guaranteed. He is nowhere near finished yet. I believe Nicklaus won his last major around 40yrs old. Tiger needs to keep on fornicating to be dominating.

Last edited by JL; 07-09-2011 at 09:25 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 03:49 PM

3,861 posts, read 4,467,686 times
It pains me to say this, but I think he's done...not necessarily because of the physical (age, injuries) but just because of how devastating his emotional problems must be for him. This is a guy who was primed to be the real "Global Icon"...he took everything right out of the Jordan playbook...articulate, stayed out of trouble, rake in monster endorsements, sky high popularity...only to see it all get washed away due to his screwups...he lost over half his fortune in the divorce...is now so toxic no endorsements will be coming his way for a long time...and of course his marriage is gone, kids scarred...that can break any person...he has enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life, so he doesnt really have much motivation to come back and kick butt...I think he's done. and he was probably my top 3 favorite athletes ever.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:31 AM

1,870 posts, read 2,396,827 times
Tiger is set to make a "special announcement" at 11am ET. He will do a sit down with Kelly Tilghman on the Golf Channel. I think Tiger will announce that he's out for the rest of 2011, and possibly some of 2012. He may even plan to have more surgery done.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:47 PM

1,870 posts, read 2,396,827 times
Oopps.. scratch all that. There was no real announcement. It was just fluff and stuff.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:15 PM

6,597 posts, read 11,332,397 times
I don't think he's finished. But I'd be surprised if he dominates again. The factors that allowed him to rise so far above the others aren' there anymore - distance, creativity, putting etc..... All the new player coming on the scene basically used his blueprint. And the popularity he brought to golf over the last 15+ years have changed the game. Many of these kids have been coached since they were babies... the swings are all flawless and they all hit it a mile. Making the field one of the deepest in a long time.

The one thing you can't really teach is mental toughness... that will be the key for TW. Unfortunately for him... he's searching for that himself at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports