Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:32 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,398,237 times

Advertisements

I don't follow hockey so I can't comment on the NHL, but the NFL is the worst, and I like football. It's the same damn teams every year! In the AFC its New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Denver. In the NFC its Green Bay, Seattle, New Orleans,. I would like to see some new blood in there like Miami, Cleveland, Oakland, San Diego, Philly, Kansas City. I used to complain about baseball because for awhile the American League always came down to Yankees or the Red Sox. I was happy to see the Royals make the world series this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 11:59 AM

4 posts, read 2,718 times
For me it`s like this:
1. NHL
2. MLB
3. NBA
4. NFL

Old 03-25-2015, 12:17 PM

143 posts, read 158,915 times
Personally I base it on quality of play and unpredictability:

1) NFL
2) NHL
3) MLB
4) NBA

The NBA to me is way below the others because they're fairly predictable in terms of who wins. There are rarely surprise teams that win the title or even make it to the finals. I recognize there are good games and the level of play is high overall, but knowing who on a short list is going to win the title before the playoffs start makes it anticlimactic for me

Old 03-25-2015, 12:37 PM

939 posts, read 796,073 times
Probably the NFL, but all sports allow too many teams into the playoffs. As Jim Mora said "playoffs, playoffs?!

Old 03-25-2015, 01:42 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,312,217 times
In this order.

NFL
NHL
MLB
NBA

Old 03-26-2015, 02:28 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,761 times
I'd have to go with the NHL followed by the NFL. Dont really care about the others.

Old 03-26-2015, 03:46 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,330,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
I don't follow hockey so I can't comment on the NHL, but the NFL is the worst, and I like football. It's the same damn teams every year! In the AFC its New England, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Denver. In the NFC its Green Bay, Seattle, New Orleans,. I would like to see some new blood in there like Miami, Cleveland, Oakland, San Diego, Philly, Kansas City. I used to complain about baseball because for awhile the American League always came down to Yankees or the Red Sox. I was happy to see the Royals make the world series this year
You and me, both, brother. I do still like the NFL playoffs but with the Patriots capturing their fourth title in the Tom Brady era, this is going to be a long offseason. I prided myself in New England not winning any Super Bowls since I had been following the NFL - which started the year of Super Bowl XLI with Chicago and Indianapolis. And now the damned Patriots are reigning champions. I would love to see my teenaged Houston Texans compete for a Super Bowl in the next few seasons.

Meanwhile, my hopeful picks for the other three divisions would be Buffalo, Cleveland, and Oakland. Cincinnati has had great regular seasons under Andy Dalton but too many slip ups in big games. For the wild cards, Jacksonville and Miami.

And I was so disappointed with the results of this year's World Series. I love to see new teams win World Series. The big market teams may create better TV ratings, but they don't create a better series in my opinion. If the Yankees and Dodgers were to make the World Series, that would be boring! Give me a Kansas City and... Arizona! Pittsburgh! Washington!

Old 03-27-2015, 03:51 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,944,907 times
To me NFL and MLB are boring as heck. There's no Jordan/Kobe/Spurs/Lebron/Durant, etc to root for or against. The NBA seems to be good at promoting individuals and personalities (David Stern's doing?).

SO....

1. March Madness
2. NBA
3. College football playoff
3. Yawn
4. Yawn
5. Yawn

Old 03-27-2015, 04:32 AM

7,276 posts, read 5,289,975 times
As others have alluded to, I think the NFL just with the fact it's a one and done playoff. No chance for redemption. I also think the NFL because not half the league with sub .500 records get into the playoffs. Tee NHL playoffs are exciting, so I'll put them 2nd. I think the MLB is 3rd, and the NBA has mop up duty.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:22 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,024,007 times
If we are talking in terms of which sport sees the biggest increase in the intensity of games and players stepping up their effort, I would have to say Hockey tops the list. There is such a huge change and increase in the effort and intensity in hockey games between the regular season and the playoffs. I think it is the most dramatic increase in sport.

After that, I think baseball may see the next biggest change with a large increase in intensity.

With both sports, I think this is in part a function of having tons of regular season games. An individual win or loss in the regular season is not going to make or break the season by itself. So the intensity is at a much lower level.

In football, I do not notice the same change in the feel of the games from the regular season to playoffs. However, I think that is because of the small 16 game schedule, which causes each and every game to be fairly high stakes and intense. The playoffs are still very good though, this is not a knock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports