Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:00 PM

817 posts, read 817,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
He has been playing since 1989 and still has not won a WC.

Shoaib is not fit. Batters use to be scared of this dude. Those dramatic run ups and throw very fast balls. If he can comeback to fitness, he can play some more. Maybe consider being a spinner or a part-timer bowler.
Yeah, but look at his record, he was 19 in the 1992 WC, and was a lower order batsman, inspite of which, he took India to a very famous victory against Pakistan, again in 1996, he was the highest run getter in the tournament, and even in the game India lost to Sri Lanka at Eden Gardens, he was the one who played magnificently with a 65, 1999 WC I agree he wasn't at his best, but the Indian team wasn't the best one either at that time, 2003 WC again, he tore shoaib akhtar to pieces and was the highest run getter, except the finals, he was very consistent throughout the tournament, no one barring Sehwag showed any resistance in that match anyway, again in 2007, team India was out of the league stage itself, Sachin didn't even get the chance to play at a significant stage then, and look at the one now, Sachin in prime form again, it is only fitting that team India should win this one for Sachin. Sachin's contribution is immense, can't at all be even questioned, Team india owes him this WC for all he has done, although that's not sufficient considering his peerless field presence.

Coming to Shoaib, he is 35 now, the retirement age for most fast bowlers, he can't bowl at the pace he used to 10 years ago, so he can't go for those long run ups either, he doesn't have that energy of his youth left anymore. I don't think he can be a spinner, as it's a completely different skill and it's too late for him to even start trying to be one, being the aggressive bowler he has been, I doubt if he would have wanted to play second fiddle bowling medium pace to a younger bowler, I am not his fan, however, I think he has been a good player for Pakistan, although he still underperformed because of his own behavioral issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,912,512 times
So he has been playing since he was 16 professionally. I think the most famous victory for Pakistan vs India was 1986 Sharjah cup, the last ball 6, but thats my opinion. Sehwag did well in this cup.

Sachin got like 6 Outs in this match, lol. Pakistan's poor fielding and catching. India was very sharp in those categories.

2007, both Pak/Ind were garbage, lol.

I am also glad that Australia's dynasty is finally over!

I think with the young players building up with Pak/Ind, they have a good future.

Shoaib is 36 now. Fast bowlers life is 32/33.

Shoaib can recover, he needs to be more fit. Gained one too many lbs. This dude use to be a celebrity back then and dated some Bollywood celebrity.

Pakistan also lost 3 players due to match fixing spots. I am glad ICC is getting strict on this now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter18 View Post
Yeah, but look at his record, he was 19 in the 1992 WC, and was a lower order batsman, inspite of which, he took India to a very famous victory against Pakistan, again in 1996, he was the highest run getter in the tournament, and even in the game India lost to Sri Lanka at Eden Gardens, he was the one who played magnificently with a 65, 1999 WC I agree he wasn't at his best, but the Indian team wasn't the best one either at that time, 2003 WC again, he tore shoaib akhtar to pieces and was the highest run getter, except the finals, he was very consistent throughout the tournament, no one barring Sehwag showed any resistance in that match anyway, again in 2007, team India was out of the league stage itself, Sachin didn't even get the chance to play at a significant stage then, and look at the one now, Sachin in prime form again, it is only fitting that team India should win this one for Sachin. Sachin's contribution is immense, can't at all be even questioned, Team india owes him this WC for all he has done, although that's not sufficient considering his peerless field presence.

Coming to Shoaib, he is 35 now, the retirement age for most fast bowlers, he can't bowl at the pace he used to 10 years ago, so he can't go for those long run ups either, he doesn't have that energy of his youth left anymore. I don't think he can be a spinner, as it's a completely different skill and it's too late for him to even start trying to be one, being the aggressive bowler he has been, I doubt if he would have wanted to play second fiddle bowling medium pace to a younger bowler, I am not his fan, however, I think he has been a good player for Pakistan, although he still underperformed because of his own behavioral issues.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:38 PM

You know Houston has a cricket league that is recognized by ICC.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:49 AM

817 posts, read 817,178 times
Quote:
So he has been playing since he was 16 professionally. I think the most famous victory for Pakistan vs India was 1986 Sharjah cup, the last ball 6, but thats my opinion. Sehwag did well in this cup.

Sachin got like 6 Outs in this match, lol. Pakistan's poor fielding and catching. India was very sharp in those categories.

2007, both Pak/Ind were garbage, lol.

I am also glad that Australia's dynasty is finally over!

I think with the young players building up with Pak/Ind, they have a good future.

Shoaib is 36 now. Fast bowlers life is 32/33.

Shoaib can recover, he needs to be more fit. Gained one too many lbs. This dude use to be a celebrity back then and dated some Bollywood celebrity.

Pakistan also lost 3 players due to match fixing spots. I am glad ICC is getting strict on this now.
That's right, Sachin made his debut when he was 16, a young kid back then, I agree with that sharjah match, Javed Miandad still happens to be my dad's favorite batsman, and I believe he was a great batsman too. I hope the IPL crap comes down and people start watching the real cricket, test matches.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 AM

19,008 posts, read 29,882,769 times
Quote:
Pakistan gave up too many chances to Sachin.

Very poor fielding and dropped catches resulting in a loss.

I am proud of Team Pakistan for coming out strong in this WC. Afridi is a good captain.
Whaaaaat?? You're nuts, dude LMAO

Old 04-01-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter18 View Post
That's right, Sachin made his debut when he was 16, a young kid back then, I agree with that sharjah match, Javed Miandad still happens to be my dad's favorite batsman, and I believe he was a great batsman too. I hope the IPL crap comes down and people start watching the real cricket, test matches.
Gavaskar was great too. I don't like test matches, its too long. Never seen a full test match in my life.

I will stick to ODI and Twenty20.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Whaaaaat?? You're nuts, dude LMAO
You are joking right? Afridi led his team to Semis with only 2 loss. No one expected Pakistan to be in Semis and let alone beat SL/Aus.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:20 AM

19,008 posts, read 29,882,769 times
I'm about to streak naked for MOTHER INDIA

Old 04-03-2011, 05:48 PM

Some interesting conspiracy theories regarding the game between India/Pakistan:

“One of the Indian directors here (a reasonable guy in his late 50s) came to my desk and talked about 15 mins. He has someone close working for Indian security in Mohali. This is what he said:

-- We knew the match results 3-4 days ago. India could could not take care of security in Mumbai if Pakistan advances to Finals after beating India. We could not afford another incident like Srilankan attack.

-- There was 42 Billion in stake for this game. This was a big amount to lose so India "had" to win. Pakistani Prime Minister and his family also had betted and Gilani came to secure the "results".

-- When Pakistan reached 100 in 20 overs with 8 wickets intact (a run rate of 5) things were getting dangerous. At that time signals stopped coming from Pak. dressing room but start coming from "somewhere else".

-- The first condition we had put for start of talks with Pakistan was a defeat in world cup inside India. Once that is delivered, talks can resume...”

“There is no need to investigate. This match was sold at Diplomatic level. PM of Pakistan got an invite to India. Did you see how Jahaaz (Ijaz) Butt was walking behind ICC President? It's a fact, BCCI controls cricket in the World. They promised Pakistan future tours and also Pakistan Government was given assurances of future good relations. How naive we Pakistani supporters are. We are thinking Pakistan lost because of planning and losing too many wickets, blah, blah.

This match was pre-decided that it will end in India's win no matter what. Had Pakistan won, there would've been a huge political unrest in India and an already tense relationship between Pakistan and India would have aggravated even more.
And here's why:

1. There was no intensity and no body language shown by either team. This is very unusual. Usually all matches played between Pakistan and India are very intense in the field - and this was no ordinary match, it was a world cup semi final. The hype was there but it was all media but the players were so cool, as if they knew the script already.

2. Pakistan giving away wickets at very easy moments. There was no pressure, Indian bowling was ordinary, pitch had no demons in it but they just created pressure for themselves. Well we can let this go as Pakistan is a mercurial team. But read below points.

3. Why Misbah played so many dot balls? He did not even attempt to take single in the beginning and middle of his innings. He was playing with a dead bat. Why? If he could not strike a boundary - which is fine - but why could he not take a single? In the middle overs the field is spread wide and there are ample opportunities for singles. Why he kept on mounting pressure on the Pakistan team? Was it because the run-rate would go so high that in the end no amount of hitting/slogging could bring success to Pakistan?

4. What was the wise idea behind not taking the power-play when last recognized pair - Misbah and Afridi - were on the crease? The run rate at that time was still 8-9 runs per over. Why did Afridi not take the power-play is beyond any sane person's comprehension? The commentators and even the normal people were crying out loud for the power-play... why but why? If Pakistan had scored 50 in those power-play, the last 3 men still had a good chance in making the remaining runs. If Afridi wanted to wait another few overs then why did he play such a stupid nonsense shot?”

Old 04-03-2011, 05:53 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,223,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I'm about to streak naked for MOTHER INDIA
Hope you enjoyed the win. Congrats to India
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports