Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 04:12 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,648,092 times

Advertisements

OK, this is the tread where all the guys will attack me, calling me names... just watch....

Whats with sports?
Really, why do guys have to memorize ever stupid game, and play?
Why do guys paint themselves and stand out in the cold looking like morons for there 'teams'
Why do guys sit in front of the television ignoring everything else BUT the game.
Why is it a guys fashion statement to wear ever frigging piece of clothing with his teams name on it, or worse with a players name on it, HEY TONY YOUR NAMES NOT JEETER!

If I went to a Broadway show, and saw every performance of LES MIZ, and kept track of the actors, and discussed in detail the actors performance for that evening, how much they get paid, what other performances they where in -- you would say I WAS CRAZY!

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 04:42 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,645,420 times
I'M WITH YOU! I'M WITH YOU! I'M WITH YOU!! You're not alone. Maybe it was my upbringing being raised by women and the men in my life (like my uncles are much older cousins) weren't into "red blooded American sports" and catching "the big game" like Football, baseball, basketball, golf etc.

I grew up participating and mainly viewing individuals and/or olympic sports like various martial arts (Tae Kwon Doe, Karate, kickboxing), gymnastics, Olympic powerlifting, strongmen competitions, stuff of that nature. Those aren't exactly sports where "the guys" gather around and have a 6 pack and try to be alpha males, or a game where you paint on your chest and root for you lousy team.

I respect athletes and the sports but I just never got into "American sports" because it was just too overbearing for me and I never understood rooting for a team, where most the players aren't even from your neck-of-the-woods. On top of that, trying to catch up on the seasons is just too time consuming. To each his/her own but I just never got into rooting for stupid teams like the Jets or Giants, the Mets or Yankees, Red Sox, Lakers, Raptors, whatever.

Then they all play for a ring or trophy or some dumb thing like that, and in the end is probably 3-4 guys out of 12 carry the whole team on their back. The fact that they get paid ridiculous amounts of money urks me. Just not my thing.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:46 PM

52,348 posts, read 52,815,472 times
It's funny you posted this, today I went to lunch with 4 other co-workers and ESPN was on the TV at the restaurant and it was football, football, football. The guys were talking about who's getting traded, who had a bad year blah blah blah.

I was bored beyond belief.

I think I'm probably the only guy in America that really couldn't give a rip about sports.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,014,023 times
Why do men love sports so?

Probably the same reasons women do. We once played them. Some of us still do. It's fun to get together with friends and watch. Some of us grew up watching football, baseball, basketball with our dads. Some of us went to high schools and colleges that have strong sports traditions.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd rather go to the event itself than watch it on TV. Even a local high school game on Friday night is fun.

And I'm a girl. But those are my reasons.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:50 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,645,420 times
What I hate the most is when I'm at a place where people aren't familiar with me, or if I am working alongside other people (I do construction), they assume I know whats happening in the sports world and go "hey, such and such, scored 174 yrd run and such and such is thinking about settling for a 765 billion dollar contract to be selected for this roster and switch from the Eagles to the Tigers, they're having the press conference tonight". Then when I tell them I don't watch baseball, basketball, football or golf, they take a blood test to see if I'm a "red blooded American". SO annoying.

Old 12-17-2010, 04:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,708,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It's funny you posted this, today I went to lunch with 4 other co-workers and ESPN was on the TV at the restaurant and it was football, football, football. The guys were talking about who's getting traded, who had a bad year blah blah blah.

I was bored beyond belief.

I think I'm probably the only guy in America that really couldn't give a rip about sports.
Nah you're not alone. I don't mind sports, and I enjoy seeing them in person but whenever the conversation turns to trades, stats etc I want to grab a gun and put a bullet through everyone's heads.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:02 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,888,929 times
I'm not into them.

Don't get me wrong: I'm active. I love running and all that. But I just can't get behind watching sports... it just doesn't do it for me...

Old 12-17-2010, 05:03 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,667,518 times
Don't know. I prefer to do many other things with my time, particularly if they keep me active. I know it'll always keep me at a disadvantage socially, but without a real vested interest, I don't care.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:06 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,014,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Nah you're not alone. I don't mind sports, and I enjoy seeing them in person but whenever the conversation turns to trades, stats etc I want to grab a gun and put a bullet through everyone's heads.
Yeah, this gets a little outta hand. What I don't get is fantasy sports... sports are intended to be recreation, right? Who needs fantasy sports ...as a break from the reality of sports? Or is it a practice league for real sports? Whatever, I don't get it.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:14 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,161,817 times
I am a guy, and while I do work out and have done martial arts, just never got into "Big 3" American stadium sports. Watching baseball or football is mostly boring, basketball is so-so. Hockey I will watch but I don't follow any particular team. I don't get how people get wound up over a particular team - I grew up near Atlanta, but what connection does that give me to the Braves or Hawks? For that matter, the players, coaches etc. on these teams seldom have any connection to the city either.

The fantasy sports teams are almost incomprehensible to me too - are there not enough real games going on?

When I lived in Colorado I dated a gal who just loved the Broncos. She would have said we watched Broncos games together. Not quite. She watched the Broncos. I watched *her* watching the Broncos. Now *that* was entertaining...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports