Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 05:31 PM

4 posts, read 4,446 times

Advertisements

I am a grad student at Pace in NY and I just ended my competitive career in sports and am looking for advice from anyone who has a job in sports that absolutely loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,509,096 times
You could declare yourself eligible for the NBA draft or something, I dunno. Seriously though, I coach and ref in our local youth leagues here. Just on the side for some extra cash, for fun and to keep physically active. It keeps me close to the games I love.

Aside from that don't let the competitive spirit die. Play beer league softball, mens leagues hoops, tennis, etc.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:20 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,528,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlo33 View Post
I am a grad student at Pace in NY and I just ended my competitive career in sports and am looking for advice from anyone who has a job in sports that absolutely loves it.
As a kid I always wanted to be in sports management or sports broadcasting/journalism. Never did get started on that line of work. Recently went to a MLB playoff game and watched the sportswriters and talking heads watching the teams warm up and thought to myself - that must be a miserable job having to interact with these overpaid prima donna athletes.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:20 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,529,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
As a kid I always wanted to be in sports management or sports broadcasting/journalism. Never did get started on that line of work. Recently went to a MLB playoff game and watched the sportswriters and talking heads watching the teams warm up and thought to myself - that must be a miserable job having to interact with these overpaid prima donna athletes.
....and may I ask, why are they "overpaid"?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:00 PM

Why are they overpaid? Why does society overpay adult males to play a kid's sport? Beats me. Are there any police officers or soldiers or firefighters or teachers or neurosurgeons out these who could help me explain why a quarterback can make $10 million/yr for part time work is overpaid while you make $30k-$300k a year?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:09 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,509,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Why are they overpaid? Why does society overpay adult males to play a kid's sport? Beats me. Are there any police officers or soldiers or firefighters or teachers or neurosurgeons out these who could help me explain why a quarterback can make $10 million/yr for part time work is overpaid while you make $30k-$300k a year?
This is so silly to me. Its basic economics, their wages are driven by the demand and revenue their industry commands. Capatilism isn't in line with traditional morals very often.

If it makes you so mad, make a statement, don't buy the merchandise, don't buy tickets, don't watch games that generate advertising revenue.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
This is so silly to me. Its basic economics, their wages are driven by the demand and revenue their industry commands. Capatilism isn't in line with traditional morals very often.

If it makes you so mad, make a statement, don't buy the merchandise, don't buy tickets, don't watch games that generate advertising revenue.

Silly enough for you to respond?

Mad? Where did I say I was mad?

And doing all the stuff you listed (not buying stuff) will not bring equity between the teacher who makes $30k/yr and the NFL QB that makes $17 mil/yr.

Which has a more important role in society? Which is playing a kid's game?

Like I said, being around these prima donnas would be nauseating. Can't see how sportscasters, writers can stomach these so called "professionals" -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports