Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 05:05 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,118,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I think Schleck puts on the Yellow jersey...on Tuesday.
damn you and your predictions!

feel sorry for Cadel - just hope he can fight for a podium finish still ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 05:59 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
damn you and your predictions!

feel sorry for Cadel - just hope he can fight for a podium finish still ...
With that broken elbow, it's gonna be tough.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:46 PM

I know, but a girl can dream right?!

He can't take a break... (pun not intended!)

anyway some interesting stages coming up!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
I know, but a girl can dream right?!

He can't take a break... (pun not intended!)

anyway some interesting stages coming up!
I'm not a huge fan of Cadel's style of riding, but he has always had some tough breaks (pun not intended, of course ) in his career.

Last edited by Acuda; 07-13-2010 at 09:15 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 PM

Not sure how many of y'all follow cycling throughout the entire season (and not just the Tour), but a serious investigation has begun regarding possible doping practices within the former U.S. Postal team. I know that Lance has been accused many times and has not publically failed a test, but this definitely has some teeth to it. It really started on the eve of the Tour of California when Floyd Landis admitted to PED use and accused a slew of Posties as well. Lance has now been subpoenaed (sic?).
Here's a few links.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/sp....html?_r=2&hpw

Cyclists Questioned in Doping Probe - WSJ.com

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcqu...ons-to-the-uci

You'll certainly not hear any of this on Versus if that's where you get all your cycling information.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:42 PM

I almost lost my cereal when I saw a flag from my alma mater, University of Oregon, waving in the alpine air.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=128&f=1423&t=6120843

Old 07-14-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Not sure how many of y'all follow cycling throughout the entire season (and not just the Tour), but a serious investigation has begun regarding possible doping practices within the former U.S. Postal team. I know that Lance has been accused many times and has not publically failed a test, but this definitely has some teeth to it. It really started on the eve of the Tour of California when Floyd Landis admitted to PED use and accused a slew of Posties as well. Lance has now been subpoenaed (sic?).
Here's a few links.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/14/sp....html?_r=2&hpw

Cyclists Questioned in Doping Probe - WSJ.com

McQuaid Reveals Armstrong Made Two Donations To The UCI | Cyclingnews.com

You'll certainly not hear any of this on Versus if that's where you get all your cycling information.
I try to watch all the Grand Tours as well as Tour Downunder, California & Paris-Roubaix etc.

anway ... on one hand, there have been many claims against Armstrong, especially when he was dominating .... on the other hand - for someone to be tested the amount of times he is and still never be caught out.... makes a case in his favour ...

Landis, in that 2006 tour didn't hide it very well .... and after denying and then admitting use of drug taking it does little for his credibility. Will be interesting to see Hamilton & Hincapie's statements.

The whole thing puts me off the sport ...

Old 07-14-2010, 08:00 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
armstrong should have stayed away. its when you are winning you need to leave the roulette wheel and cash in those chips.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
I try to watch all the Grand Tours as well as Tour Downunder, California & Paris-Roubaix etc.

anway ... on one hand, there have been many claims against Armstrong, especially when he was dominating .... on the other hand - for someone to be tested the amount of times he is and still never be caught out.... makes a case in his favour ...

Landis, in that 2006 tour didn't hide it very well .... and after denying and then admitting use of drug taking it does little for his credibility. Will be interesting to see Hamilton & Hincapie's statements.

The whole thing puts me off the sport ...
What I found interesting and was never really admitted/mentioned/thought of was when Landis stated that Postal consistently used a micro-dosing method, even in the big tours. We've always seen these riders getting popped with extremely high hematocrit levels and ridiculously trying to deny it. And, if you look at the many former Postal riders who have been popped, the evidence increases (Heras, Hamilton, Basso, Beltran, and of course Landis). Plus, Vaughters, Andreau, and Livingston have all let the cat out of the bag within the last 5 years. Finally, Landis claimed that Armstrong actually did fail a test, but donated money to the UCI to cover up the positive (something McQuaid has admitted-the donation). It really seems like he/Bruyneel/Postal/Discovery may be cooked.

Besides, who in the heck can win 7 straight Tours and only really have 2 bad days in them? I realize that I am not a huge fan of Armstrong, but he repeatedly made Jan Ullrich, who was supposed to be the next Merckx, look like a weekend club rider.

Funny side note: My old training partner/friend/colleague and I were out on a training ride near Murrieta, California when we looked back on a climb and saw this other cyclist approaching rather quickly. Both of us were Cat. 2/3 racers and pretty good climbers, so we were a bit surprised to see someone gaining so quickly as we knew most of the racers around the area. Well, soon this rider caught us, despite our efforts, and lo and behold it was Floyd Landis. We chatted for the next 10 miles or so, and he was really a cool dude. The funny thing is, when we finally introduced ourselves, he looked at my buddy and said, "My step daughter (I think he only has a step daughter) is now enrolled in your class (he had just moved to Murrieta)." Man, I was ticked, because we taught the same grade, at the same school, and by chance, she was placed in his class. Oh well, years later I ended up with a NFL football player's daughter and received a great Christmas Teacher gift.

Last edited by Acuda; 07-14-2010 at 08:52 PM..

Old 07-14-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
What I found interesting and was never really admitted/mentioned/thought of was when Landis stated that Postal consistently used a micro-dosing method, even in the big tours. We've always seen these riders getting popped with extremely high hematocrit levels and ridiculously trying to deny it. And, if you look at the many former Postal riders who have been popped, the evidence increases (Heras, Hamilton, Basso, Beltran, and of course Landis). Plus, Vaughters, Andreau, and Livingston have all let the cat out of the bag within the last 5 years. Finally, Landis claimed that Armstrong actually did fail a test, but donated money to the UCI to cover up the positive (something McQuaid has admitted-the donation), it really seems like he/Bruyneel/Postal/Discovery may be cooked.

Besides, who in the heck can win 7 straight Tours and only really have 2 bad days in them? I realize that I am not a huge fan of Armstrong, but he repeatedly made Jan Ullrich, who was supposed to be the next Merckx, look like a weekend club rider.
yeah but that was because Jan ate too much

I have watched the "Science of Lance Armstrong" which attempts to make sense of his advantages - the extra training, something about his heart taking in more oxygen than standard person/rider (it was a few years ago and my memory is sketchy ..) even though it was probably funded by the Discovery channel ...

wow that is a massive claim by Landis that Lance paid off the UCI ...

In a way this is why I like Cadel (apart from him being an Aussie) ... he seems to be clean and it would do the sport wonders for someone like him to win it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports