Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 07:09 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,131,321 times

Advertisements

Excellent tour overall. I thought it was the most exciting in years.

Sad to see Thor slip out of the green but that's bike racing.

Contador "attacking" on the final stage was hilarious. What was amazing was how quickly he and Schleck opened up a gap just goofing off. The pack was riding so slowly they practically had to track-stand.

I must admit I have a bit of post-tour depression. Yes, I know there are other races, but for the month of July we pretty much live and breathe the Tour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:24 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,844,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Excellent tour overall. I thought it was the most exciting in years.

Sad to see Thor slip out of the green but that's bike racing.

Contador "attacking" on the final stage was hilarious. What was amazing was how quickly he and Schleck opened up a gap just goofing off. The pack was riding so slowly they practically had to track-stand.

I must admit I have a bit of post-tour depression. Yes, I know there are other races, but for the month of July we pretty much live and breathe the Tour.
Now I can get back on my normal riding schedule. No excuses now when it is just too hot to get out.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:51 PM

29 posts, read 67,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
One thing that amazes me about the Tour De France is the accessibility of spectators to riders. I'm surprised that no rider has ever been attacked or stabbed by a spectator. The photogs and spectators are way too close to the riders.
Actually, it did happen to the great Eddy Merckx during the 1975 Tour. Merckx was on his quest for a sixth win and was in the yellow jersey for several days. A spectator attacked him with a hard blow to the kidney. He fought on, but he lost the Tour after that (not the only reason, but it was the start and was, by all accounts, a nasty blow). It's just lucky, I guess that it is rare, because the riders are definitely exposed.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:31 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,466,323 times
Alberto Contador will not return to Astana next year. The rumor is that he may well go to Bjarne Riis' team (Saxo Bank soon to be re-sponsored- Sungard-Specialized?) and take Navarro, Noval, De La Funete, and Hernandez with him. The Schelcks have been rumored to be forming their own team, so obviously they will not be there. If this is indeed the case, I believe, without a doubt, that Contador will again take the Tour in 2011. Conti's Saxo? team will be loaded if Cancellara stays (his contract is until the end of 2011). Next year, there will be no prologue and a TTT for stage 2. This will only help Contador as Cancellara is a huge motor.

Also, rumors are that Roman Kreuzinger might go to RadioShack. Menchov rumored to go somewhere as well...Astana? Samuel Sanchez to Caisse? And of course Ricardo Ricco (one who could drop both Schleck and Contador)- a very exciting climber- possibly to Quick Step?

Next year will be interesting. Alpe d'Huez will be epic. I'm sure I'll talk/argue with some of you. Those of you who follow cycling year round, feel free to post any race thread. Next year, let's try and post our podiums

Here's my early, early, early podium:

1. Contador
2. Ricco
3. Schleck

Old 07-31-2010, 02:00 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,560,285 times
Next year my predictions for the podium are:

(1) Andy Schleck
(2) Alberto Contador
(3) Ryder Hesjedal....long shot but really came on strong in this Tour.

I would not count out Frank Schleck either.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:25 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,143,346 times
Contador tested positive on July 21, to a banned steroid clenbuterol

blaming "food contamination"

Alberto Contador | drugs in sport | Tour de France

hmmmm

Old 09-30-2010, 06:04 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,862,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Contador tested positive on July 21, to a banned steroid clenbuterol

blaming "food contamination"

Alberto Contador | drugs in sport | Tour de France

hmmmm
So are they going to strip his win like they did Landis?

All his wins are now tainted and he will forever be known as as a doper.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:56 AM

238 posts, read 625,061 times
Hmmm.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:29 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,143,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
So are they going to strip his win like they did Landis?

All his wins are now tainted and he will forever be known as as a doper.
Well it is a pretty small sample

" Cycling's governing body, the Union Cycliste International, said 50 picograms - ''which is 400 times less than what the anti-doping laboratories accredited by WADA must be able to detect'' - was found in the urine test. It said the case warranted ''further scientific investigation'' and that Contador was under a provisional suspension."

and

"Contador said clenbuterol ''is a substance that does not help performance, and this [tiny] quantity is completely insignificant to improve physical improvement''.
Positive tests for clenbuterol have led to different results for athletes. It has been shown that traces in the human body can be attributed to food contamination, but large amounts indicate deliberate doping."

Contador's doping test takes sheen off titles

I think its a bit sad that the sport is again tainted.

Old 09-30-2010, 06:26 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,862,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Well it is a pretty small sample

" Cycling's governing body, the Union Cycliste International, said 50 picograms - ''which is 400 times less than what the anti-doping laboratories accredited by WADA must be able to detect'' - was found in the urine test. It said the case warranted ''further scientific investigation'' and that Contador was under a provisional suspension."

and

"Contador said clenbuterol ''is a substance that does not help performance, and this [tiny] quantity is completely insignificant to improve physical improvement''.
Positive tests for clenbuterol have led to different results for athletes. It has been shown that traces in the human body can be attributed to food contamination, but large amounts indicate deliberate doping."

Contador's doping test takes sheen off titles

I think its a bit sad that the sport is again tainted.
He tested positive.

Do you think hes going to say Oh yeah I did it my bad. How many athletes do you know that admits it out of the box?

This is not the 1st time his name has been brought up with doping and this time he tested positive. Sorry his wins are now tainted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports