Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,998 times

Advertisements

Hi Lara,

I am not sure if it too late for any advice, but on the chance it is not.....

I am mom to five kids, and two were adopted from W. Africa, and one from Haiti. We have lived in Spokane for about 8 months. (Originally from W. WA.) I have not had any experiences with racism toward my children, and as a mom, I think I am quite sensitive to it.

When we first considering a move, I too fretted about the idea of moving my family to an area like Spokane. To be honest, I lived here the first few months with a feeling of only one foot in, and the other foot out, but my findings have been positive.

We attend church, and there are a few other black or bi-racial families at our church. We visited a few, so that we could find the best, somewhat racially diverse church. We are happy with the warm reception, and ALL my kids love it! (Note: At every single church we visited, we were warmly received, but chose the one we did based on the diversity there.)

Two of my 'brown' (That is what they call themselves, as they are learning their colors, and know they are not black.) children are in the same class, and they have another AA girl in their class, as well as 3 Asians and a couple of Hispanic kids. Cultural or racial diversity isn't as great as other cities, but judging by my kiddos' class, I think that it must be increasing!

I say GO FOR IT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 08:23 AM

438 posts, read 1,796,416 times
Thanks for your positive and helpful post. What area of Spokane are you in? :~) D

Old 10-21-2009, 07:42 PM

8 posts, read 21,347 times
Lara123...please fill me in on your experience and decision to move to Spokane. I am in the exact position that you found yourself almost a year ago. are you happy with the move? How is the culture, diversity and overall quality of life? I look forward to your reply!!!! Thanks a million!

Old 10-25-2009, 05:20 PM

20 posts, read 71,490 times
I am white, my wife is hispanic, my brother-in-la/co-worker is black, and the 3 tennants in my rental house are: 1 black, 1 hispanic, and 1 white. You do have the red-neck/aryan nation posers who are little more than followers with big mouths, but there isn't much in the way that I have seen in hate crimes!!! Good luck, I don't think you should worry about race being an issue, and this is me defending Spokane, a place that I HATE, (because of the cold/rain/snow) I prefer San Diego..............Ken

Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,170 times
So, lara123, did you move to Spokane? I am interviewing for a job there next week. Would like to know your experience.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:53 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times
Back in the 80's or 90's Spokane elected a black mayor.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 11,017 times
I am honestly surprised to hear about an underground white supremacist group in Spokane. I have lived all over Spokane. North Side, South Hill, Valley, Millwood, etc. I have never witnessed any racial problems. I remember being in elementary school on the South Hill and most of my class was of mixed race or African American. I guess, being born and raised in Spokane, I never noticed a difference. The only thing I can think of was when I was really little and some white guy started a fight with a black guy because he was with a white woman at a Denny's. Everyone freaked out on the guy for being intolerant and stood up for the couple. Even my mom stepped in. I have never experienced intolerance, although I have heard about the white supremacist group in CDA and some intolerance in places like Hayden. Other than that, I would say you should definitely come to Spokane!

Old 08-25-2012, 03:54 PM

7 posts, read 7,126 times
Does it really matter. I have live in small towns in northern calif and the only person of color in the town. I presently live in a senior complex and the only person of color. I am an American and this is my home. Never have been made to feel uncomfortable.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:13 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopperimpala View Post
I am white, my wife is hispanic, my brother-in-la/co-worker is black, and the 3 tennants in my rental house are: 1 black, 1 hispanic, and 1 white. You do have the red-neck/aryan nation posers who are little more than followers with big mouths, but there isn't much in the way that I have seen in hate crimes!!! Good luck, I don't think you should worry about race being an issue, and this is me defending Spokane, a place that I HATE, (because of the cold/rain/snow) I prefer San Diego..............Ken

Racism...whatever, it is everywhere...big deal.

Lots of doped out people in Spokane....many of them looking to steal something to sell for their next fix.....that is what I worry about.

Haha, I have been in Spokane for about a year. The one thing that I really dislike is the LONG winter we just went through. I lived in Seattle for over 30 years, winters are not that much different from Spokane's.....but I guess that is one of the main reasons I left Seattle. Oh yeah, I lived in San Diego, off and on for over 13 years.....perfect weather!!!!

Old 08-26-2012, 04:17 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Back in the 80's or 90's Spokane elected a black mayor.
Jim Chase. I knew him. He was a good man.

HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History

Spokane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area