Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,837 times

Advertisements

Zaga-- you are dead on correct here. I have recently lived in Boise Idaho and now Spokane. The rising crime statistics can be attributed to exactly what you describe. As suburban drug usage rises, these same drug users typically fall into that trap of being easy 'bait' for law enforcement to slap multiple charges against them when they are arrested. As far as crime rates go, I usually focus primarily on the 'rape' and 'murder' statistics; and cities like Boise and Spokane rarely report such crimes. As I recall, towns like Portland, Detroit, and St. Louis have very disconcerning crime stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 01:01 PM

14 posts, read 38,064 times
Spokane crime can be summarized in 3 words: alarming; under reported

I've had 2 windows shot out in 2 years by random gunfire, the cops never show up when called, drugs and what looks like a blossoming sextrade is crawling into our once quiet neighborhood in the VALLEY. Scary man.

Law enforement is dropping the ball big time - and in all honestly the influx of people no doubt fueled knowledge this 'market' existed in this backwater of the nation and expanded the 'market' but this is OUR problem and just hope our law enforcement spends less time tasering the defenseless and shooting innocent people in their off hours (i.e., get over themselves and this apparent superman complex) and spend more time doing their jobs. They'd get more community respect and support that way to, possibly more funding for more men on the street. Problem is, the last time they got more cops on the beat with Fed Grants, they shot their wad on going after the cash with speeding tickets (and that Red Light boondoggle) while crime's exploding in once quiet & relatively safe family neighborhoods. Lets hope we can turn it around - I mean if NYC could clean up its act surely little ol Spokane can.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 12,484 times
Spokane has crime, and it has homeless and street people near the city center, just like any city of significant size. I lived in Spokane from age 2 to 19 and never had any problems. Lewis and Clark high school, which I attended, is located just outside of the financial core of downtown and among low income apartments and across the street from the I-90 overpass, which provides shelter for many homeless people. I never felt unsafe walking to, from or around school except over by the skate park sometimes, but nothing ever happened. I used to walk home from my friend's house on sunset hill to mine on the south hill, which is a walk through some seedy areas and the downtown, I did this many times completely comfortably. The only areas of the city I would feel uneasy walking through alone at night would be parts of the area around the courthouse, hillyard and parts of east central/sprague, though I would not be so fearful as to not walk through.
Meth use is a problem in the Northwest more so than elsewhere in the country, to the point where meth labs are included in stereotypical descriptions of Spokane. Aside from the stories on local news, I've never had any real experiences/problems with meth labs here. I've seen old houses that are have been condemned due to being used as meth labs, but those were years ago and in East Central.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:58 AM

1 posts, read 3,517 times
Default Spokane, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcook_03 View Post
Hi all! I have been looking into relocating to the Spokane area. It looks like the perfect place for us to move to, except for one problem...the crime rates seem much higher than the national averages! Has this affected any of you that live or have lived in Spokane?? Just want some more information! Thanks!
Spokane A.K.A Spocompton, Spokanglos, Spokanistan, Spookaloo,etc.
I was born and raised in Spokane, WA and yes it has a lot of crime and is a very high rate for drug's and boose. With more restaurants per sq mile per cap anywhere in the U.S. The problem with the town is that it is still small, and very boring. Kids have nothing to do and the result is party party. Now how you ask well with Canada to the north and Seattle to the west, MT to the east and dont forget Tri-cities it has been the main hub for all drug traffic. If you were to go downtown west side area you could see a "hood". Also a lot of L.A. & Seattle people run there to get away from big city problem's drug traffic is prime for this town and more and more commonly seen. Majority of adults were born and raised alcoholic and have passed down those values. Another huge huge problem there is Oxy-Contin I would say it is bigger than Portland, Seattle put to together. With the jail not big enough a lot of things get looked over also due to lack of funding. Now don't get me wrong there is some good there but it is East of Barker RD. I would never take my family back there to live or myself. I left at 18 and never looked back. Everyone that I have ever known and still do know is either in jail, dead, or suffers from addiction well 90% of them. I do know a lot of people there and have a lot of family and trust me DO NOT GO LIVE THERE!

Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 AM

470 posts, read 1,037,091 times
Spokane does have a very bad gang problem but you have to live in pretty bad areas to see it. Unfortunately the average per capita family income here is very low and over 20% of the population lives at or below the poverty level. That being said; if you are an apartment dweller, Hilyard resident, west ender, lower south hiller, north central resident, and scattered pockets in the valley........you're probably going to be exposed to it. So unless you are able to make a "high" Spokie wage ($36 K ceiling) then you are probably going to be exposed to it because of where you are going to have to live.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:24 PM

14 posts, read 38,064 times
its 'westside' NOT 'west end'... so I assume you mean westsiders lol new to the area?

You're right though on the wage ceiling although I think it's actually in the 40s (even after much sacrifice to better yourself through higher education), but Spokane has always, and I mean always, been behind the rest of the nation with everything including wages by about 20 years (although housing caught up with the nation even while I wages never did... thanks to our real estate & speculator 'friends' (in no small part from out of state & international - heck even Canadians are buying up our lakes... sad times); guess it's going to take another full-blown depression for folks to pull their head out and remember what matters in life, like actually taking pride in community & helping our neighbors our rather than robbing an already poor area with exorbitant housing costs, etc. One can hope anyway.

Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 PM

470 posts, read 1,037,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skalanman View Post
its 'westside' NOT 'west end'... so I assume you mean westsiders lol new to the area?

You're right though on the wage ceiling although I think it's actually in the 40s (even after much sacrifice to better yourself through higher education), but Spokane has always, and I mean always, been behind the rest of the nation with everything including wages by about 20 years (although housing caught up with the nation even while I wages never did... thanks to our real estate & speculator 'friends' (in no small part from out of state & international - heck even Canadians are buying up our lakes... sad times); guess it's going to take another full-blown depression for folks to pull their head out and remember what matters in life, like actually taking pride in community & helping our neighbors our rather than robbing an already poor area with exorbitant housing costs, etc. One can hope anyway.
I've been here 7 years and I'm definitely not a local Spokie. I have sacrificed to get a four year degree and I am now making around $36 K a year. I almost make $44 K a year if I include my Reserve pay. I feel I am at the pinnacle position I can obtain here in Spokane, WA. I'm heading off to Louisville, KY to either work in a larger economy with high paying growth drivers and enjoy the low cost of living outside the city or work attempt to use my veteran preference and work at the new Human Resources Command at Ft Knox. I'm counting down to my final two months in good old Slowkane. I wouldn't recommend living here unless you are in a healthcare position like nursing or you really enjoy renting and being paid much less than the national average salary.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:09 AM

7 posts, read 17,150 times
The main crime problem in spokane is not violent crime, its crime such as petty theft, car prowling and breaking into cars. The reason this is a problem is because all of the freaking meth heads in Spokane. They walk around during the day asking for a dollar or two so they can get their hit of meth then at night they walk around breaking out windows and scavenging for **** in peoples car to go sell at one of the 100 pawn shops on sprague.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:14 PM

89 posts, read 237,643 times
Spokane Area Economic Data

Old 08-01-2012, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 10,815 times
Spokane's crime is so out of control that this week I got fed up.

Moderator cut: see note/link removed

It's absolutely ridiculous the direction the city is headed in. For a city of 200,000 people, they only have 275 officers (and are eliminating even more positions this week). While a city the same size (Tacoma, also 200K people) has 375 officers.

This month, 2 of my apartment buildings have been broken into (cops only showed up to 1 incident, other incident they didn't even care about/respond), 8 separate instances of windows being broken THIS MONTH (1 by a rock, 1 by a crescent wrench, 1 by a screw driver, 1 by a fist, 4 others unknown, all at different buildings in different areas of town) and a tenant's vehicle was set on fire.

The fire inspector won't even return my call when I, as the property owner, try to learn more about the situation.

Disgusting. Sickening. Spokane really does suck.

Last edited by Count David; 08-02-2012 at 07:39 PM.. Reason: new members cannot post links/this is not the place to promote your website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area