Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2021, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 1,995 times

Advertisements

Hello. Im a middle aged guy about to move to the Spokane area and am focused only on areas that are known to be consistently safe from car vandalism or burglary that may have a smaller town centre of their own with a walkability score in order to get to the gym and restaurants without a car but also that have a fair amount of tree lined neighbourhoods. I am OK with more of a commute from downtown Spokane, if ever i need to enter downtown, and have been curious about 5 neighbourhoods in particular Unless there are more neighbourhoods or towns that fits my described needs. I am interested in Fairwood, Glenrose, 5 mile, 7 mile and 9 mile.
Would any of these have the style of living I'm hoping for?
Thank you for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 07:06 AM

1,010 posts, read 4,913,917 times
If you are looking for walkability to things, those neighborhoods probably won't work. Maybe Glenrose where you could walk to 57th and Regal but the others are quite a distance from walking to services. I live in Nine Mile on the Stevens county side - you could live in Suncrest and walk to the grocery store & services, but it would be a lot of walking. How long of a walk were you looking for? I'm thinking other parts of south hill or Audubon areas might be good for you...Perry district or Garland areas would be convenient for walking to local businesses.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 5,018,991 times
"Small town center" makes me think of the Garland District. There's also a cluster of businesses along Grand in Cliff/Cannon, and along Hamilton in Logan. These areas will be safer than places closer to downtown, especially Cliff/Cannon which is one of the nicest areas of town. All these areas are walkable with older, tree-lined neighborhoods on a grid plan.

Are you looking to rent or buy? What's your budget?

Old 02-24-2021, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,995 times
Thank you for the responses. Im very carefully trying to decrease opportunities of running into crime. Just had my car broke into few weeks back and dashboard is tore out (still) to access the expensive after market radio. My auto insurance adjuster is a nightmare. I keep looking at several crime reporting websites of Spokane every few weeks to somehow discover a neighborhood not touched by muggings or home burgleries but every single area (Spokane has a lot of variety of restauant/retail areas) that seems enjoyable to walk around there has been some reported crime(s) reported within the last 4 weeks. Its so evenly distributed that im beginning to wonder how thats possible. Any microcosm of a neighborhood within a 3 mile radius of downtown seems to have break ins weekly according to these websites (Neighborhood Scout, Spot Crime etc). I think my best bet is to rent in Glenrose for a year till i understand the dynamics better, and i'll drive into areas (short drive from Glenrose) that offer more novelty for the 2 dogs coming with me when we do our walks. Presently we enjoy a variety of walks down trails from home or into town for some variety. Safety for the family is priority though. Any additional suggested neighborhood with lower crime and amenities is definitely welcome though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area