Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 08:18 AM

132 posts, read 230,582 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am starting another thread to keep things simple. I have never lived at high altitude. We are moving from San Jose to Spokane. I see Spokane is around 2000 ft. I went over the Grapevine (4000ft) once and had some chest tightness and rapid heart rate. But other times going over the Grapevine didn't cause me any issues. Perhaps the rapid ascent caused the problem? Anyway did anyone have any issues after moving to Spokane with altitude adjustment and if so how did you handle it?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 09:17 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,930 times
When I 1st moved to Asheville (roughly the same elevation) I remember I felt "off" from time to time, but that could've been due to putting up with ignorant, a-hole co-workers, adjusting to cultural differences, & working 3rd shift+. It was more of being in a bad mood more often than I was previously used to & tired.

That feeling persisted & hasn't gone away even when I go other places now, but I'm pretty much used to it. I think it had more to do with screwing with my sleep schedule than elevation personally.

Grandfather Mountain at 6,000 feet (for the short time I was visiting) had an even stranger feel to it, but I didn't experience anything like you mentioned.

Supposedly high elevation can cause depression and/or euphoric feelings, but I don't know how much truth there is to that.

Edit: Mostly I've lived from close to sea level up to 1,000' give or take.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:50 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,741,654 times
Spokane isn’t even at 2000 feet but regardless, I’ve never experienced any problems myself nor has anyone I’ve ever known nor have I ever heard of anyone having altitude issues at This low of an elevation.
It’s WAY too low to cause any issues.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:08 AM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Spokane isn’t even at 2000 feet but regardless, I’ve never experienced any problems myself nor has anyone I’ve ever known nor have I ever heard of anyone having altitude issues at This low of an elevation.
It’s WAY too low to cause any issues.
Right. I knew an elderly person with high blood pressure, who had trouble at Lake Tahoe, CA, which is at 6000 feet. I've never heard of any other cases like that in the Tahoe area, though. Even 6000 feet isn't that high. Denver is 9000 feet. Some people do have problems there, but most don't. Are you generally in good health, OP? 2000 feet shouldn't faze you.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:51 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,741,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Right. I knew an elderly person with high blood pressure, who had trouble at Lake Tahoe, CA, which is at 6000 feet. I've never heard of any other cases like that in the Tahoe area, though. Even 6000 feet isn't that high. Denver is 9000 feet. Some people do have problems there, but most don't. Are you generally in good health, OP? 2000 feet shouldn't faze you.
Probably a typo that you made but Denver is the mile high city because it’s 5,280 feet above sea level. My son in law is from a high elevation town in CO and my daughter is sensitive to the elevation (at least while she is pregnant), so they generally fly into Denver, stay at a hotel one night so she can acclimate and then drive to his family home at 8000 ft.
We used to live a bit above 8000 ft near Flagstaff and none of us Had any issues acclimating though...just took a day or so.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:14 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Not many people are going to consider 2000 ft to be high elevation.

Did you visit Spokane before deciding to move there? Did you have altitude sickness while you were visiting?

Old 11-22-2018, 07:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,324,902 times
Quote:
Probably a typo that you made but Denver is the mile high city because it’s 5,280 feet above sea level. My son in law is from a high elevation town in CO and my daughter is sensitive to the elevation (at least while she is pregnant), so they generally fly into Denver, stay at a hotel one night so she can acclimate and then drive to his family home at 8000 ft.
We used to live a bit above 8000 ft near Flagstaff and none of us Had any issues acclimating though...just took a day or so.
I lived in Flag for a while back in the day — no wait, it was back a few days before that day...anyhow, I appreciated being able to get buzzed on a beer and a half at that altitude. A six pack often lasted me a whole day.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:34 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
Thanks; it was kind of a typo resulting from an editing process, cutting down a longer post. Santa Fe is over 7000 ft., and I haven't known any one who was bothered by that, but I've heard of the occasional visitor, who's been uncomfortable. There's an oxygen bar/spa downtown, that caters to such people. So--it does happen. I didn't realize SF was higher than Denver.

I've also been to Quito, Ecuador, several times, and have been unfazed.(9,300 ft.) The first time, I took altitude pills for it, but found I didn't need them. The Santa Fe ski basin is over 10,000 ft. I tried hiking up there, and lasted 20 minutes. Living and walking around at high altitudes is one ting. Exerting yourself is a whole other ball of wax, in my experience.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:27 PM

132 posts, read 230,582 times
Thanks for all this info. I figure I won't likely have any problems. I am very sensitive to changes in all aspects like heat and cold and altitude. I believe a lot of my problem may stem from dehydration. I dont tend to drink enough water. And I do sometimes have low iron that has been revealed through lab work.

Old 11-23-2018, 10:59 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,776,846 times
OP, do you have asthma or anything similar? I do and I'm fine until I'm over 3500 feet. After that I just don't acclimate very well. If I'm just sitting around I don't notice it too much but forget hiking, or even playing golf . . . basically any exertion beyond just walking around the shops slowly. I don't think 2000 feet should be a problem for most people. If you've ever gone up to Grass Valley or Nevada City you've crossed over the 2000 foot line - it's at the Alta Sierra area just south of Grass Valley. Nevada City is more 3000-3500. If so, did you have a problem there?

ETA: I have family in the Spokane area who came from the Seattle area - none of them have had a problem with the altitude in Spokane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area