Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 06:10 PM

39 posts, read 40,345 times

Advertisements

I'm in an extended visit here in Spokane, and love almost everything about the city and surroundings, except for the wretched condition of street surfaces--the hacked up pavement and horrendous potholes.

Are streets this bad in the typical third-world hellhole? I've never experienced anything like it. How could a city/county government allow streets to degenerate like this?

So before I drive north to Deer Park, uncertain whether my car will survive, what is the least-car-damaging route from downtown Spokane to Deer Park? MapQuest gives me three routes:

1--N. Washington St to US-395
2--N. Monroe St to US-395
3--N. Newport Hiway

On which route would my car be likeliest to survive with minimal damage? I assume US-395 is maintained by feds, which might mean it's in OK condition...what about Newport Hiway?

And I guess the question of how/why the streets here got so bad is a different thread...

Thanks for info--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 06:57 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,912,896 times
Which side of Deer Park do you need to get to and where in Spokane are you travelling from ? Highway 2 stays more to the east and 395 is more to the west. This time of year, it's kind of like an interactive game where as you're driving you have to move your eyes ahead and on both sides of the road to look for upcoming pot holes. Swerve to go around them or maneuver where you travel directly over the hole. It's fun! It's challenging!

There are trucks out all over the county trying to repair road damage -- I don't think any one road is better or worse than another. Just pick the shortest distance to where you need to be and play the road game.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:18 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robin9 View Post
How could a city/county government allow streets to degenerate like this?
Yeah. Damn those city officials who didn't bother to turn on the World Weather Control Device to make this winter less wet and cold. Grrr....

Old 05-04-2017, 11:58 AM

18 posts, read 29,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Yeah. Damn those city officials who didn't bother to turn on the World Weather Control Device to make this winter less wet and cold. Grrr....
There are much colder places in the world and they do not have the shambolic state of roads that Spokane did. On our visit there we could not believe how bad they were.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,273,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeka27 View Post
There are much colder places in the world and they do not have the shambolic state of roads that Spokane did. On our visit there we could not believe how bad they were.
How exactly do you compare the "shambolic state of roads"?

Spokane ain't the quickest or highest-quality when it comes to fixing their roads, but it's not as if they aren't doing anything about it. Almost all potholes in asphalt are caused by excessive freeze/thaw cycles - which is exactly what we've had this year. And further, the crappy spring weather has necessarily limited the road crews' ability to fix the holes.

Here's a news article from Anchorage from last month. I guess one of your "colder places" isn't Anchorage.

Puddles and potholes as warmer weather arrives in Anchorage

Old 05-10-2017, 09:24 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Did you miss it......................the Trailerbilly street-repair-crew is slopping asphalt over those canyon-sized
road-craters, all is fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by tickyul; 05-10-2017 at 10:42 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 04:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Cheer up. You could live in CDA...

Eight big road projects could snarl traffic in Coeur d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area