Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:22 PM

98 posts, read 351,254 times

Advertisements

the prop taxes look about the same as where we are now (houston)
"safe, quiet, crime-free" may be a bit different up there than where we are now. i looked at the 2005 crime stats & it said there were only 13 murders in spokane in 2005-- i told my mom this info, & she said "so there's pretty much no crime?"-- i mean, in my neighbourhood alone, there's probably at least 13 murders a month (not joking)...
we're not very picky people. we don't want booming rap music/bass from cars rattling our windows every 5 mins 24/7, we'd like to drive down a few blocks without seeing at least 10-12 mange-infested starving strays (within a few blocks, mind you!), we'd like to sit on the porch without hearing gunshots or other major disturbances (even if just for one night!)...
we live in a working-class neighbourhood here, and yes, there are worse neighbourhoods around houston, and i've lived in better, & have a feeling spokane has got to be better than where we are now. we have a serious desire to leave houston & really want a place that is not all billboards & cement, where we can actually walk down the street without worrying about being run-over, shot, mauled by a loose pitbull, or die of heatstroke.
it's hard to describe in words just how much we dread living here, but i can go into more detail if need be. i don't mind parking on lawns if it's one or 2 here & there, but it's everything else combined that just makes us sick. there's got to be a better place for us, in our price range!

Last edited by groens; 07-29-2007 at 11:33 PM..

Old 07-30-2007, 09:47 PM

54 posts, read 224,102 times
Default finding a home

You CAN find a home in a decent neighborhood, nice even-for under 200K. I have been looking as well, and I have found plenty in the 150-175 range that are nice. It is true that property taxes are high, but Wendy K (she posts here) is a real estate agent and pretty knowledgeable about Spokane, and I am sure if you emailed her privately she could tell you more about the housing in Spokane.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:40 PM

17 posts, read 57,016 times
Default Property taxes

I guess "high property taxes" is a relative thing. Here in Austin TX, I have 2100 sq ft on one level, and my property taxes are $6100 a year. That's high in my opinion.

Property taxes in Spokane, from what I've gleaned from real estate sites and from a real estate agent in Spokane, are based on the foot print of the house. I'm looking at house in the $275,000-$350,000 range with around 3,100-3,600 sq ft. Most houses in Spokane seem to be on 2 or more levels. So, taxes would be based on 1500-1800 sq. Ft. The house I looked at over July 4th weekend had annual taxes between $2500 and $3,500 a year for that square footage. THAT is extremely reasonable to me. Are taxes in Florida cheaper than that????

Old 08-03-2007, 06:17 PM

135 posts, read 600,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibOrg View Post
Property taxes in Spokane, from what I've gleaned from real estate sites and from a real estate agent in Spokane, are based on the foot print of the house. I'm looking at house in the $275,000-$350,000 range with around 3,100-3,600 sq ft. Most houses in Spokane seem to be on 2 or more levels. So, taxes would be based on 1500-1800 sq. Ft. The house I looked at over July 4th weekend had annual taxes between $2500 and $3,500 a year for that square footage. THAT is extremely reasonable to me. Are taxes in Florida cheaper than that????
Well our home is ~1500sf and we pay $1900/year.

If you are looking at current property tax amts on homes in Spokane, that are between $2500 and 3500, I am sure you realize that that amt is what the current owner is likely paying and not what you would be paying if you bought that same house in the future.

It will be reassessed and your tax assessment amt will more than likely be even higher than the above amt.

Same with our home here, when we sell it, the next owner will be paying more than we currently are....and on it goes.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 AM

17 posts, read 57,016 times
Sometimes taxes do go up when a house changes hands. But even if they go up, it's a lot more reasonable than here.
I did a few searches for 1500 sq ft houses in Spokane, and taxes on that footage ranged from $800 to $1500, less than you're paying.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:34 PM

7 posts, read 81,565 times
Question: I am thinking of moving to WA, around the Spokane area possibly. So, I was wondering how the people are around there? I am easily annoyed by nosey neighbors, and living where I do, I already have enough of them. So, can someone please tell me what I will expect if I move around there?

Old 08-08-2007, 04:36 PM

231 posts, read 1,082,526 times
AJ2009: I'm not sure where you're considering moving from but I think you'll generally find that people in Spokane have a fair amount of respect for the privacy of their neighbors. Not to say that people are unfriendly (which they aren't) but that a trait of the northwest is that people tend to enjoy their space and therefore respect that of others.
Groens: If you can find a place near cannon hill park in your pricerange (which might be difficult if you're truly close to the park) you will likely be very happy. It is a great, established neighborhood that is very safe and has good schools. A few areas nearby that might have more in that pricerange would be on the east side of lower manito park (east of grand in the high teens) and west of cedar st. also in the high to mid teens. Those areas aren't quite as grand as cannon hill but are still generally good neighborhoods with good schools.
Oh, and our taxes on a 2200 sf home bought in 2004 are about 2100 per year.

Old 08-08-2007, 07:53 PM

7 posts, read 81,565 times
Thank you so much.

Sorry, another question just came: How are the schools in the Washington/Idaho area?

Old 08-08-2007, 08:08 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,918,226 times
Public schools in Spokane are generally thought to be of good quality. There are many districts to choose from depending on what part of town you live. You can compare districts & schools at Access Washington - Kindergarten through High School but you probably won't know what districts to compare until you figure out where you will be working and living. Have you ever visited the area before? Spokane county covers a large area - some parts are very rural and others are more densely populated. The outlying areas will have smaller school districts and lower population.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2009 View Post
Thank you so much.

Sorry, another question just came: How are the schools in the Washington/Idaho area?

Old 08-23-2007, 09:21 AM

2 posts, read 18,948 times
Default links

FYI. I have been reading the threads from the beginning (not finished yet) and noticed that the links to areas, like Pacific and South Hill, link to those cities in Washington, not to areas of Spokane.

I am planning on moving to Spokane in July 2008. I visited in August 2006 and liked the Country Homes and Shadle areas. My sister lives in the Shadle area.

I've been doing alot of research on the area, jobs, etc. I am single with no small children so neighborhoods with schools aren't so important. I've been working with two real estates agents getting some idea of the housing and what I can afford. I certainly can't afford a home in Phoenix. I've been priced right out of the market here. And, the heat, can't handle it anymore. I'm really looking forward to four seasons instead of mostly just one, hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area