Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 05:49 AM

10 posts, read 27,534 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a 34 year old single no kids, California bay area native and can't afford it here anymore. Plus the jobs are non-existent. I have a friend who is willing to let me stay with her until I get a job and get on my feet in Spokane.

My question is are there any jobs there? And what about junior colleges?
My goal is to work and go to a junior college/nursing program to become a RN or possibly a Certified Nursing aide or Radiologist. I can't afford to go to a 4 year University so it has to be a junior college with a medical division so I can get into the medical field..

As far as a job goes, I can do pretty much anything. I have alot of experience in customer service/call centers/retail/cashier/dog walking/training/reception/office asst/admin/manager... I've had alot of jobs.. My passion is animals and helping people..

Any help would be appreciated.. Also, what areas of Spokane should I stay away from, you know the high crime/not safe areas if any?

ps I may come from a big city but I'm a country girl at heart. And I'm not white trash...

Thanks,
Maria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
Not currently living in Spokane...but friends and my trips tell me that the economy is like most places...kinda limping along.

I've posted links to the various Spokane colleges...all but Eastern Washington are in Spokane...Eastern is in Cheney, not too far away. There are a couple of junior colleges in Spokane.

I don't know that there are just any huge areas in Spokane that you don't want to be in...most of the rougher areas are kind of pocketed in various areas. That said, I've never felt unsafe in any neighborhood...but maybe I'm either overly-confident or naive. Others here can give you more current advice in the neighborhood department, but I'd think your best bet would be your friend that lives there that offered you a place to stay. After you get there, you can then see for yourself how places check out.

Good luck!

Welcome - Spokane Community College

SFCC Home

Whitworth University

http://www.gonzaga.edu/

EWU | EWU Home

Old 01-24-2011, 11:24 AM

649 posts, read 1,768,951 times
i think you'd love spokane after being in san jose; i'm orginally from ca, and know your area very well so actually after living in your area i'd have to say you'd not consider any area of spokane bad.... there are more desirable areas but as was said, after you get here you'll be able to pick your area. but as far as going to college well you'll need to establish residency before you sign up so that you don't have to pay out of state tuition. and i'm not sure how long that takes, 6 months or a year. but go to the links below and find out what it is. there's always more entry level or min wage jobs open so if you aren't fussy you'll probably have a better chance of finding a job so good luck 2 u and i'd grab the opportunity to make a move. you'll just have to get use to snow and being stuck indoors for a couple of months out of the year; this has been the hardest part of living in snow country and i've been doing it for several years and still don't like it, but it still beats the high cost of living in caifornia and all its other drawbacks.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 9,077 times
Spokane sounds like a great option for you. I really don't think you'll have much trouble finding a job. Just apply for everything you might qualify for that's listed on Craigslist. You'll have a job within a few weeks.

The community colleges in Spokane are Spokane Falls Community College and Spokane Community College. They're both part of one college system. The Falls has some kind of medical/nursing program that is connected to EWU-Spokane and WSU-Spokane, and I believe they share a facility near the SFCC campus. I don't know much about it, but you could probably work for a year, go to SFCC part time, and then qualify for in-state tuition to EWU or WSU-Spokane, which is pretty affordable.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:31 AM

389 posts, read 1,075,446 times
Quote:
My question is are there any jobs there?
Yes there are some, though many don't pay as well as they would in another area. I've found that, unless you have a specific trade that is popular in the area (medical field, for example), finding a good paying job here is difficult. Possible, but difficult.

Quote:
And what about junior colleges?
Not too sure about junior colleges... I would suggest going to Spokane Community College or Spokane Falls Community College... in Washington State if you get a 2 year degree from a community college you can go to any public university as a junior. Financial aid is also available and the community colleges are relatively inexpensive.

Quote:
Also, what areas of Spokane should I stay away from, you know the high crime/not safe areas if any?
Avoid Hillyard at all costs. Some of the North Side isn't very nice, either, though it does depend on the area. You don't really want to live on Euclid or near Marietta (Marietta is near Gonzaga University, but also has several "waste disposal" facilities on them and it is near a housing area). The Valley tends to have nicer areas, as does the South Hill, South Hill is more expensive. You could also live up north near Windemere, but that is North of what's called "The Y".

Like I tell other people, too, be prepared for long winters. Some years they aren't bad... daytime highs will mostly be in the 30s or 40s, but the winters last fairly long.. a couple of years ago, we had snow on June 10th. And, while that's not common per se, I've been here for about 7 years and have seen it a couple times since I've been here (the snow in June that is). When you get a vehicle, make sure it's all-wheel-drive or front-wheel drive. A friend of mine moved up here from Louisiana and had a Ford Mustang... she got offended when I suggested she get a different vehicle. It didn't take her long to total her car.

So be prepared for the rugged winters. They can start as early as October and end as late as June. Summers here are absolutely perfect, once July & August are here, though.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area