Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 09:25 AM

269 posts, read 1,244,708 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen too much in the popular press about this yet, but back in March there was a gamma-ray burster (GRB080319B is the name of it) that actually reached naked-eye brightness for a few seconds. National Geographic has a couple of images here, and there's a "movie" of the images at the Pi of the Sky site, the robotic telescope that got the peak brightness measurement.

The burster is about seven billion light-years distant. Yes, "billion" with a B.

Gamma-ray bursters are believed to be a kind of supernova explosion where most of the energy output ends up in two beams coming out of the poles of the system. They are rare, and and also you generally only see the ones pointed at you.

The preprint about the object closes with a speculation that if the thing had been in our Galaxy, one kiloparsec away, at its peak it would have appeared several times brighter than the Sun. I've been pushing numbers around, and I also think no one would see it; optical light peak follows the gamma-ray peak by about 100 seconds, and the power in that hard radiation peak would ionize the atmosphere and kill everything on that half of the planet before the visible light reached detectable levels. As the authors comment, though, such a thing is an exceedingly unlikely event, and very probably it has never happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 09:39 AM

23,615 posts, read 70,530,525 times
I certainly hope it hasn't happened to us. The thought, as I recall, is that towards the center of the galaxy these stars actually do operate as death stars, and that because of them, the possibility of advanced civilizations near the core of the galaxy is extremely slim.

Old 09-26-2008, 05:14 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,141,596 times
I remember a few years ago, some kind of event in our galaxy that would've killed all life within X number of light years. Thank goodness.

Speaking of coming close to extinction -- there was a science show on TV talking about the area we now call Yellowstone that really cut down the human population. It affected the entire earth. I'll see if I can find that and maybe start another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space