Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2013, 08:10 PM

33,305 posts, read 26,506,892 times

Advertisements

If dark matter does exist, and exists in the vicinity of earth, and assuming that we could somehow obtain it, does anyone have an educated opinion concerning its possible practical application? To what use could it be put? I realize that it's hard to have an opinion concerning something that we don't really know the nature of, but I just thought I would ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 04:05 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,349,818 times
This is an area in which I review a lot of papers in. Dark matter does exist, we're pretty darn certain about that. Nobody knows what applications it will have if we can harness it. It's all speculation, really, but still entertaining to think about. I dont think it will be really useful whatsoever, its just matter without a charge to it. Its like asking salt to interact with sugar.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
This is an area in which I review a lot of papers in. Dark matter does exist, we're pretty darn certain about that. Nobody knows what applications it will have if we can harness it. It's all speculation, really, but still entertaining to think about. I dont think it will be really useful whatsoever, its just matter without a charge to it. Its like asking salt to interact with sugar.
I don't really know anything about it, but the thought had occurred to me that if dark matter is what is causing the universe's expansion then it must have a force which counters gravity and that that could be put to practical use. Assuming of course that dark matter could even be acquired. Well, as I said, I don't know anything about the subject and so I can't talk intelligently about it. I was just curious about opinions others might have. I appreciate that you took the time to reply.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,643,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I don't really know anything about it, but the thought had occurred to me that if dark matter is what is causing the universe's expansion then it must have a force which counters gravity and that that could be put to practical use. Assuming of course that dark matter could even be acquired. Well, as I said, I don't know anything about the subject and so I can't talk intelligently about it. I was just curious about opinions others might have. I appreciate that you took the time to reply.
Mike, Dark Matter is thought to be exotic matter that doesn't seem to work like ordinary matter. It's thought to exist because of certain effects around ordinary matter, especially galaxies and galactic clusters. It's just sort of out there as an unseen physical part of the universe. Dark Energy on the other hand is what is thought to be involved with the expansion of the universe. Again, we see certain effects, such as the acceleration of the expansion of space of the universe, but we don't really know much more about it. If there wasn't something generating the accelerated expansion of the universe, then the universe should be slowing down because of Gravity, not speeding up.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:22 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,516,124 times
Dr. Neil DeGrasse Tyson: A fascinatingly disturbing thought - YouTube

Here's why dark matter and dark energy doesn't really matter…

Old 12-10-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Mike, Dark Matter is thought to be exotic matter that doesn't seem to work like ordinary matter. It's thought to exist because of certain effects around ordinary matter, especially galaxies and galactic clusters. It's just sort of out there as an unseen physical part of the universe. Dark Energy on the other hand is what is thought to be involved with the expansion of the universe. Again, we see certain effects, such as the acceleration of the expansion of space of the universe, but we don't really know much more about it. If there wasn't something generating the accelerated expansion of the universe, then the universe should be slowing down because of Gravity, not speeding up.
I see. I was confusing dark matter with dark energy. I was just reading here, Curious About Astronomy: What's the difference between dark matter and dark energy? that dark matter accounts for the gravitational force that holds the galaxies together, which is the exact opposite of what I was thinking, while dark energy is the anti-gravity force as you stated. It's a fascinating subject. I will have to read up on it. Thanks NightBazaar for straightening me out on that.

Old 12-11-2013, 09:20 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,473,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I see. I was confusing dark matter with dark energy. I was just reading here, Curious About Astronomy: What's the difference between dark matter and dark energy? that dark matter accounts for the gravitational force that holds the galaxies together, which is the exact opposite of what I was thinking, while dark energy is the anti-gravity force as you stated. It's a fascinating subject. I will have to read up on it. Thanks NightBazaar for straightening me out on that.
In regard to your original question concerning a practical application, we still do not know what is Dark Energy. If one does not know what something is, it is difficult to come up with a practical application. Dark Energy is really just a label for something we do not know. Like just a few centuries ago when we labeled parts of the planet "terra incognita" (Latin for "unknown land").

One possible explanation for Dark Energy is the Casimir Effect. The Casimir Effect is a quantized field that extracts energy from the vacuum of space. If that is truly the case, then Dark Energy may help us propel spacecraft to the distant stars. A spacecraft equipped with a Casimir Drive would be able to extract energy from the vacuum of space itself. No fuel would be required, and the spacecraft would be able to propel itself indefinitely.

That is the chief stumbling block for getting to other stars - fuel. We simply cannot bring enough fuel along to make a trip to even the closest star feasible. If a Casimir Drive proves to be viable, then interstellar travel may be a possibility in our future.

The Casimir Effect as a Candidate of Dark Energy --- arXiv:1303.4067 (PDF)
Physicists' 'light from darkness' breakthrough named a top 2011 discovery --- PhysOrg.com

Old 12-19-2013, 03:05 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,349,818 times
Dark Matter could be used in food. If we can get it to be edible, it wouldnt interact with our body, and would be healthy to eat, yum! Just add nutrients and flavoring and you've got the ultimate "lose weight diet". Feel full without any chance of your body absorbing it!

(from a friend this morning at work thinking of cooky ideas)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space