Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,701,223 times

Advertisements

I don't currently own any telescopes and while saving to buy the one I had my eye on, came across the idea of building my own. The more I thought about it, and resarched it, the more I thought it would be a fun and great learning experience. I've come across dozens of schematics online to build home telescopes for different types but haven't had the opportunity to go over them yet to determine which one(s) may be the best to attempt. I'm curious if anyone on here has taken on one of these DIY projects or has this as a hobby. Maybe offer some advice to a first timer like myself.

I noticed some of the schematics appear to contain some woodworking, an area of extreme weakness. I'm good with electronics, and i've successfully built everything from things such as Nitro R/C cars to model rockets and home computers. However, I had a failed attempt at a nitro model airplane as the the cutting, measuring, fitting, etc of the wood kicked my butt. (The wings were off as was the fuselage). Despite amazing carpentry skills in my family, I am without and extremely inept in this area. In fact, I'd say if I were a gaming character where you could see my attributes, that field would probably have a negative number. Too bad there is no "small tools (saws, drills, etc) perk" for those who are inept in this area. I nearly failed shop in High School due to the woodworking portion of the class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:46 AM

6,421 posts, read 11,629,412 times
Have you hunted for a kit that would provide the parts you'd have trouble making? Can you swap expertise with someone in your family to help you with the woodworking bits?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,701,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Have you hunted for a kit that would provide the parts you'd have trouble making? Can you swap expertise with someone in your family to help you with the woodworking bits?
Haven't had a chance to look just yet. I do know that just briefly scanning that there does appear to be the option of buying certain parts as opposed to fabricating. As for the woodworking part, no such luck. The close family members like my dad, etc are all gone. I have no family in the state I'm currently living in anyway.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:50 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,898,353 times
Check your DM box

Old 04-23-2013, 10:48 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,100,454 times
I built two telescopes in my teens. They are fun to build and you will learn a lot. Grinding the mirrors takes several months and you do also have to build some optical test equipment that is pretty simple.

Find a local astronomy club or people interested in Astronomy and they can help get you started. Many astronomy clubs have a lending library of telescopes you can borrow. Also you will get some great information that will prevent many mistakes and dead ends!!

Visit Telescope Reviews | Cloudy Nights. There is a beginners forum there. They also have a classified section for selling used telescopes and other astronomy equipment.

Go the library and get this book: Build your Own Telescope by Richard Berry. He has complete plans for five different telescopes. You can build his 6" f8 Dobsonian reflector mount in an afternoon out of wood. It is a VERY GOOD mount. He also covers the basics of grinding your own mirror.

It is CHEAPER to buy a good telescope than build it. You can find good used telescopes that will last a lifetime for $300-500 dollars. However, grinding your own mirror is a kick in the pants.

Good luck...it is a interesting, but difficult hobby. Don't be afraid to look and ask for help.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM

16,913 posts, read 16,189,414 times
Wow, what a project! I sure wouldn't attempt it - the slightest thing that could go wrong and the scope is almost useless.
You got guts! Imagine looking through it at the stars for the first time and finding chromatic aberration or astigmatism!
I'd cry and stomp and go nuts....I sure do wish you luck!

Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,100,454 times
I made my telescopes at the age of 14. One won an award for optical excellence.

Lots of kids have made their own mirrors.

It is NOT that difficult. Actually, pretty simple. All you need is patience to walk around a barrel pushing to pieces of glass over one another.

Testing and polishing the mirror is an art form. But I did it without help. If your reading the science forum you can do it.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,514,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
I don't currently own any telescopes and while saving to buy the one I had my eye on, came across the idea of building my own. The more I thought about it, and resarched it, the more I thought it would be a fun and great learning experience. I've come across dozens of schematics online to build home telescopes for different types but haven't had the opportunity to go over them yet to determine which one(s) may be the best to attempt. I'm curious if anyone on here has taken on one of these DIY projects or has this as a hobby. Maybe offer some advice to a first timer like myself.

I noticed some of the schematics appear to contain some woodworking, an area of extreme weakness. I'm good with electronics, and i've successfully built everything from things such as Nitro R/C cars to model rockets and home computers. However, I had a failed attempt at a nitro model airplane as the the cutting, measuring, fitting, etc of the wood kicked my butt. (The wings were off as was the fuselage). Despite amazing carpentry skills in my family, I am without and extremely inept in this area. In fact, I'd say if I were a gaming character where you could see my attributes, that field would probably have a negative number. Too bad there is no "small tools (saws, drills, etc) perk" for those who are inept in this area. I nearly failed shop in High School due to the woodworking portion of the class.
Have you looked into purchasing a Dobsonian kit?

DobSTUFF - Complete Telescopes or Wood Parts for your Optics
"Astronomy" Telescopes, Dobsonian Kits, Telescope Mirrors, Parts

Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM

7,617 posts, read 6,129,143 times
I built mine for a High School science/engineering fair, building a telescope with spare parts (or something along that line)
I did grind my own mirror and I did purchase the lens (eyepiece) BUT the rest was made from scrap/castoff odds and ends, including a plywood box mount and a steel pipe for the base ....
Must have been impressive to someone. Even though it looked like a joke, I took best in Engineering at the fair.

And NO I am not an engineer now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space