Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 05:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,580,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
I got a dumber question. If the Hubble looks at a star 1 million light years away. Doesn't it see it closer than 1 million light years away since it's going further in (by zooming into it) as opposed to the naked eye?

Sorry if this was brught up already.
It is NOT closer, only the image is bigger as in magnified. It is still 1 million light years away.

Where has reason and science education so drastically failed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,045,007 times
I didn't go to a real college nor did I make it passed the 10th grade. So I wouldn't say it's failed most people

Last edited by piyf; 11-12-2012 at 07:54 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,250,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It is NOT closer, only the image is bigger as in magnified. It is still 1 million light years away.

Where has reason and science education so drastically failed?
but according to you and others we see the light from the object which suggests it should be closer. This leads back to the question I asked in thread 1.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I didn't go to a real college nor did I make it passed the 10th grade. So I wouldn't say it's failed most people
this isn't always a bad thing as you'll soon start to see. what they teach you is scary.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 AM

3,721 posts, read 7,843,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
but according to you and others we see the light from the object
Everything that we see is because of light. Light is either being emitted by something, or reflecting off of something, and every image we see is that light. Take away light, take away sight.

Quote:
which suggests it should be closer. This leads back to the question I asked in thread 1.
Why should that suggest that it is any closer than it actually is? Most "stars" we see in the night sky are actually entire galaxies. When you get something that huge, emitting tons of light, you're going to see it from large distances, even if it is a million of more light years away.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
but according to you and others we see the light from the object which suggests it should be closer. This leads back to the question I asked in thread 1.
Looking closer is only means it looks bigger. You are NOT closer, your are just looking at bigger (magnified) image. You are still a million light years away, whether you look at the tiny image with you eye, or the magnified image in the telescope.

Again a very basic analogy, standing on the train tracks when a train is approaching.
You and your friend are standing side-by-side on the railroad tracks.

You are looking down the tracks only with your eyes at an oncoming train.
Your friend is also looking down the tracks at the same oncoming train, but with a telescope. (which makes it "appear" closer to him)

Who is hit by the train first? (remember you are standing side-by-side with your shoulders touching.)

choose one
  1. you
  2. your friend
  3. you both are hit as the same time.
  4. none of the above
  5. I don't know, this is hard
Or you visit Mt. Rushmore Monument. You are standing at the observation point, and the sculptures are a mile away. Now you put a telescope to your eye and look at the sculptures, and the "appear" closer, but are they?

Were you suddenly
a) transported much closer to the monument
b) or are you merely looking at a "magnified" image of the monument?

Old 11-13-2012, 04:40 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,948,033 times
Quote:
How do you see something millions of light years away? You look at something very bright and you wait millions of light years for the light to get to you. You can see a candle from let's say 10 feet away, further if you use binoculars. You can see a bonfire from a mile away, further if you use telescope. And on all the way up to billions of light years if you use a big enough telescope and look at a bright enough object. It seems like you're being intentionally obtuse, but if not, what exactly do you not understand?

And if you think looking at something with a telescope makes it closer then you are just being silly.

Quote:
You're never too old to be curious and learn.

Quote:
this isn't always a bad thing as you'll soon start to see. what they teach you is scary.
What they teach is only scary if you don't understand it.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Looking closer is only means it looks bigger. You are NOT closer, your are just looking at bigger (magnified) image. You are still a million light years away, whether you look at the tiny image with you eye, or the magnified image in the telescope.

Again a very basic analogy, standing on the train tracks when a train is approaching.
You and your friend are standing side-by-side on the railroad tracks.

You are looking down the tracks only with your eyes at an oncoming train.
Your friend is also looking down the tracks at the same oncoming train, but with a telescope. (which makes it "appear" closer to him)

Who is hit by the train first? (remember you are standing side-by-side with your shoulders touching.)

choose one
  1. you
  2. your friend
  3. you both are hit as the same time.
  4. none of the above
  5. I don't know, this is hard
Or you visit Mt. Rushmore Monument. You are standing at the observation point, and the sculptures are a mile away. Now you put a telescope to your eye and look at the sculptures, and the "appear" closer, but are they?

Were you suddenly
a) transported much closer to the monument
b) or are you merely looking at a "magnified" image of the monument?

billions of light years is a bit further than mt rushmore. and 5 and i cant answer the last one its too hard as well.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
billions of light years is a bit further than mt rushmore. and 5 and i cant answer the last one its too hard as well.
OMG it works the same.

Trying to get it as simple as possible to help you understand or "see the light" if you will. Only to totally fail.

Right up there with this genius. Perhaps a classmate from science class

Sprinkler Rainbow Conspiracy - YouTube

Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 PM

3,721 posts, read 7,843,820 times
^ Doesn't matter how many times I see that video..... LMAO!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space